A Tricky Scenario

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodstrider said:
In one form or another. My opinion is that hikers and more importantly backpackers, are not to be made they are just born that way.
Most definitely! I exposed my 3 kids to hiking and snowshoeing in pretty much equal fashion. One became a an ADK 46er with me and is a hiking and climbing animal with plans to become an alpine guide. One likes the outdoors but is ambivalent about hiking and one HATES hiking.

Re: hiking in groups. Definitely not my cup of tea. Especially in winter. I can understand people hiking in groups but personally I just don't like it. Any number from 1 to 4 is about right for me. Any more and the group splinters anyway.

Like most I have been down this road before.

I'd start them on something relatively short and not an elevation killer. A good one is Black Pond or Franconia Falls out of Lincoln Woods. Not much elevation but great views and things to see along the way and at the destination.

Another is Mt. Pemigewassett or "Indianhead" out of Franconia Notch for a those in better shape, maybe 1500 feet elevation gain +- and a little over 3 miles out and back, but really cool views at the summit of the 4K's and the Notch area.

A third is Pawtuckaway State Park off of 101 in Southern NH for those who want some fun and hiking without a long and potential traffic riddled drive up and back to the Whites. There are lakes, ponds, small mountains and flat trails too.

Also, I would tie the hike in with lunch or early dinner at the Woodstock Station, Common Man or other such establishment so you can have a post hike get together which is often as much or even more fun! :) Many of us hike for social reasons too and future "hikers in training" need to trained on that post hike aspect too!!! :p

I find it better to break them in so they see what its about, they may like to hike without going up the 4K's and all. Go light on the packs, show them what they need to bring and use, and let them have fun. Eventually if they like it they will start asking you to go hiking!

Just another reminder from the resident Welch-Dickey nay-sayer -- have you checked out your friends' foot gear, i.e., do they have boots with good soles? If they are hiking in sneakers or crappy boots, don't even think about hauling them across the open ledges of Welch-Dickey if there's been any recent rain. They'll curse you as they slide away. :)

The foot gear factor applies to anything that is ledgy (like W-D) or rooty (Jackson).

And I'm all for the suggestion of taking on the sweep and sherpa roles. Put your friends in the front carrying the minimum amount of gear (and a copy of your map), and follow carrying all the extra water, snacks, emergency gear, etc. They'll love you for it.

Periwinkle said:
Just another reminder from the resident Welch-Dickey nay-sayer -- have you checked out your friends' foot gear, i.e., do they have boots with good soles? If they are hiking in sneakers or crappy boots, don't even think about hauling them across the open ledges of Welch-Dickey if there's been any recent rain. They'll curse you as they slide away. :)
A coment from a Welch and Dickey promoter (and ex-rock climber):

Plenty of people have done Welch and Dickey in sneakers without difficulty. The slabs on Welch are easy friction climbing and soft shoes are generally better on friction than are harder (hiking) boots. The best (friction) rock climbing shoes are very flexible.

Just choose a dry day and go up the slabs (counter-clockwise).

Doug

Last edited: