A Twin Redemption - N Twin, S Twin, Galehead - 9-25-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
We had a wonderful day yesterday hiking the Twins and Galehead with Mike and Donna (a.k.a., Jimmy Legs and Little D). This made peaks #36, 37, and 38 for them - getting close to the finish! We've been trying to find a way to get together and hike with them for the last couple of years since we first started our exchanges on the forums. How great it was to finally make it work out! There are few things better than a spectacular late September day wandering around the peaks in the Whites - unless it's getting to do it with good friends.

The day actually had a rather sad ending. On their way back through Franconia Notch, Mike and Donna hit a moose. Mike and Donna are both fine but the moose (and their van) didn't fare as well. Details are in the trip report on my blog.

The whole story is here on my blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/twin-redemption-n-twin-galehead.html

Or just the pictures if you prefer: https://picasaweb.google.com/114856685929776719960/TwinsAndGalehead92511

Here's a tiny sample of what South Twin has to offer on a perfect fall day

South Twin Summit with Franconia Ridge and Garfield beyond
IMG_2137.JPG

Mt Washington above the early fall colors in the valley
IMG_2156.JPG

Great stuff!

One of the all time great hikes in the Whites! Sorry for M&D and the moose. It's too bad, but I know from experience that by the time you see them in the dark it is often too late to react. Someone from Millinocket once told me, "Yeah, you tourists all think the moose are great which is great for business up here, but every single person I know has a family member or friend that has been hurt or killed hitting a moose in the dark."

KDT

Mark what an awesome trip report. I think a sign of a good trip report is when the reader feels like he is along for the ride. I could picture every step you guys took and know the feeling of wanting to linger. Out of the 35 I have done this hike is One of my favorites. I am a little jealous you had those trees at the third crossing. I did it last november and it took over an hour to find a good place to cross cause the rocks were so icy. I also agree the last section that is flat goes on forever. Sorry to hear about Mike and Donna hope they get home without too much hassle, indeed a crummy way to end a week in the whites.

Looks like a great trip!! I took a picture of you guys from Franconia Ridge, didn't come out. :)

We passed the dead moose and the van last night after picking my car up at the Cannon tram lot. Didn't see anything on the trip north through the notch, must have just happened. Fire department was there, ugly. Glad nobody was hurt, besides (unfortunately) the moose.

Makes me think we were 5-10 minutes from a moose in our own path through the notch. Be careful out there, everyone. No matter how many idiots get on your ass, it's smart not to speed at night in the north country. Not assuming they were, but it's something I always think about when driving around here at night. High beams help, use them when you can!

Last edited:
Major bummer for Mike and Donna. That kind of puts the kibosh on the rest of their vacation.

Nice TR! We're in the same boat as Mike and Donna. No moose involved, but my wife and kids were in an accident last week and totalled the car. Really a bummer. Good to hear no one was hurt.

why do bad things have to happen to nice people? nice report and pics, sorry to hear about M&D.

Great TR. The pictures bring the reader along for the ride. I can't wait to try this hike myself!

Sorry for Mike and Donna for hitting the moose. I'm happy they are unharmed, though!

Karl

Fantastic TR, Mark! The narrative and the photos, just awesome.
Obviously sorry about the Mike/Donna/moose incident but could have come out much worse as we all know.
My wife and I were similarly very lucky two summers ago, a few hours after Seek the Peak, and I'll tell this briefly just to echo the cautions, as most of you readers obviously drive around in the mountains some or a lot. 10pm that Saturday night after doing Washington and then dinner in N. Conway, we're northbound toward Gorham on 16, a little south of Dana Place Inn. Had just put on high beams, going about 50. Suddenly see moose in center of road looking our way, at about a 45 degree angle. I remember just seeing lots of black fur and he was sweaty on a warm July night. Whole thing takes no more than 3 seconds. I swerve left immediately (foot never even had time to slide over to the brake though), wife looks up through passenger side of windshield as we literally go under his chin, we hear loud slam and we've clipped him with side view mirror, in his thigh I'd guess.
The point is, you have so little time it isn't funny. Yes, always use high beams when you can, and you can also bet that I don't go as fast anymore on any of those roads, especially after dark.

Thank you!

Thanks for the kind words everyone - particularly all the concern for Mike and Donna. Keith definitely got it right with "why do bad things have to happen to nice people?"

I've spent a lot more time thinking about the accident too. We were at the trailhead together when they dropped us off at our car and left less than 2 minutes apart. I could just as easily have been us that was the couple of minutes ahead (and apparently TDawg was just as close). That day on the trail I had been talking to Mike about the fact that in all the time that Nat and I have spend in NH and ME in the last 15 years we've only ever seen a single moose (last fall). I always kid with Nat and say "moose crossing, next 5 miles" when we go by one of the signs (feeling very certain that we're not going to see one based on past experience). Many times what's gone through my mind as I kid about it though is that I'm sure glad that one hasn't shown up on the road in front of us at night. I don't drive fast at night up north, but I'm going to be driving a lot slower in the future.

Kevin, freighttrain48 - I have to agree that this is one of the best hikes we've done in the Whites. Just an incredible route from so many perspectives!

freighttrain48 - thanks for the compliment on the TR. I try to find a balance between saying too much and including enough detail to describe the hike to someone that hasn't done it before. Those are the kind of reports I look for when planning future hikes. I generally figure that those who don't want to read the entire tome can just look at the pictures. ;) I also love writing these because it gives me a chance to relive the hike and reflect on what it was that made this one special.

Silverfox - i saw pics from a couple of other friends that did this one on Saturday as well. Pretty socked in. We definitely lucked out on Sunday.

TDawg - awesome day to be on FR too (or anywhere in the Whites for that matter)! I thought I saw something glinting at one point while I was gazing over there. Must have been the reflection off your camera lens. ;)

Mark,
Thanks for a wonderful report and photos of our day in the mountains. It was a perfect day to hike the loop (we could have done with a little less humidity but managed just the same). The views from N. and S. Twin were outstanding. It sure was a long day for you and Natalie.
As far as our "moose encounter" I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and concern. We were very fortunate that we weren't seriously hurt from the impact. Nonetheless, we didn't let it spoil the remainder of our vacation. After Monday, we were back on schedule. We'll have our reports up in a few days.

Donna:)