Accidents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Have I missed this being discussed before? It seems there are more hiking accidents/injuries in New Hampshire than in the Adirondacks? Or are they just posted more?

If there are more in the Whites I'd guess it's due to a higher level of tourist/inexperienced activity there, but that's a guess. May just be a higher level of activity in the Whites.

'dacks don't have the Union Leader to publicize and comment on accidents...

I wonder if it has something to do with the Whites being in Boston's backyard, where it would be easy for some...um..."less experienced" (to put it graciously) hikers to get out above treeline and into trouble.

Having hiked in both the Whites and the ADKs, I don't think either is drastically more rugged than the other, but the ADKs seem to be more of a "destination" for us outdoorsy-types, what with the long drives from...pretty much anywhere. :rolleyes: People in NYC don't wake up in the morning and think, "Hey, it's a nice day, I think I'll go for a hike in the Dacks."

If the ADKs were where the Catskills are located, my guess is that they'd get a LOT more use and we'd see more accidents reported.

I stood at the counter at Pinkham last weekend and watched as a staffer tried mightily to convince a sneaker-clad, would-be hiker that 12:15 p.m. was the wrong time to start out for the summit of Mount Washington. Without a map. Without a flashlight or headlamp. And utterly devoid of common sense, as far as I could tell.

If the ADKs were where the Catskills are located, my guess is that they'd get a LOT more use and we'd see more accidents reported.

Well, not sure about the others but I see way more people in the ADKs than I do in the catskills, we don't have the crazy parking situation like the Garden or the Loj anywhere in the cats... And don't forget that even though the ADKs are farther away from NYC, it is close to Montreal... :)

Jay

Can't say I counted them but a lot of recent "accidents" in the mountains did not seem to involve hikers so I question the premise in the first place.

There is some liklihood that the Whites, being closer and more accessible to heavy population centers, may draw more people so that increases the odds of accidents of any kind.

The Union Leader does seem to stir things up but aside from some nasty comments, disseminating information is good. I get my information from other sources, occasionally a Union Leader article linked on VFTT when little or no other sources are available. I can only surmise that the Dacks don't have a comparable newspaper to publicize things broadly.

Finally, I would not equate "experience" with fewer accidents. Experience can lower the odds of accidents but it can also create a false sense of security or machismo and lead to what some people might call "stupid". Just look at the demographics of hiker "accidents", which I believe have been published in recent years, for validation of this.

The Union Leader & the Boston Globe. Usually can find accidents at www.boston.com also

Don't remember the last time I saw a lost hiker story in the NYT or Daily News. Anyone have mileage from NYC to LP & NYC to Lincoln? May be pretty close.

Washington gets all the press for the worst weather in America, Marcy doesn't get that media expsoure. Sure the choir here knows both can be tough in poor conditions but the unprepared like challenges.

Going back to my days first hitting the higher summits, the only reason I did Greylock, Mansfield & Katahdin first was for training for Washington. (Delusions of Highpointing originally)

people fixate at top peak

People fixate onto top peaks. Usually when I talk to people who do not hike or backpack regularly, who decide to go hiking once per year when the weekend forecast is good, they go for the top, highest, most famous peak. If they decide to go to Baxter then it is allways Katahdin. If I mention to them a hike up to Doubletop Mountain they look right through me as if I was retarded. If they decide to go to the Whites then it is Mt.Washington without any thinking or planning. Suggesting Chocoroua would meet annoyance. And so because the presidentials are right next to a convenient parking lot - they go - unprepared for what might happen when they clear the tree line.

I stood at the counter at Pinkham last weekend and watched as a staffer tried mightily to convince a sneaker-clad, would-be hiker that 12:15 p.m. was the wrong time to start out for the summit of Mount Washington. Without a map. Without a flashlight or headlamp. And utterly devoid of common sense, as far as I could tell.

And I saw a few on the way up between 1:00 and 3:00 on my way down. Some were talking about taking the van down. Let's hope they made it up in time..

And I saw a few on the way up between 1:00 and 3:00 on my way down. Some were talking about taking the van down. Let's hope they made it up in time..

I can think of only one thing when I read this
"What doesn't kill us will make us stronger"...or perhaps less foolish the next time around.

People fixate onto top peaks. Usually when I talk to people who do not hike or backpack regularly, who decide to go hiking once per year when the weekend forecast is good, they go for the top, highest, most famous peak. If they decide to go to Baxter then it is allways Katahdin. If I mention to them a hike up to Doubletop Mountain they look right through me as if I was retarded. If they decide to go to the Whites then it is Mt.Washington without any thinking or planning. Suggesting Chocoroua would meet annoyance. And so because the presidentials are right next to a convenient parking lot - they go - unprepared for what might happen when they clear the tree line.

So true. I frequently enjoy late day hikes and plan to come out in the dark. If a peak is the main destination on a trail I happen to be on, the majority of hikers I pass assume that's where I am heading, and most comment to warnings. Most of the time I am just heading to a favorite spot that has no overly dramatic features.

Rescue Me ( great Supremes song )

If they decide to go to Baxter then it is allways Katahdin.

Hey Andrew, that's me. I was coming down hunt trail from Katahdin and at dusk I put my headlamp on and the batteries were dead! I was lucky as the last mile on that trail ( beyond the stream ) was one of the straightest trails in BSP. Drops off the water bars were killer though.

I frequently enjoy late day hikes and plan to come out in the dark

After that experience I started doing hikes coming out after sunset to get use to hiking in the night. A lot of people would look at me, covered in cement dust ( if I wasn't grog I would be " Pig Pen " ) and admonish me that it was a little late to start hiking. I'd look at them and say " actually it's a little early I'm doing a nite hike " .

Leaving tomorrow for for a quick 2 nite hike to Russel pond and Davis pond, should be hardly anyone in the park. I'm a little better prepared, but not much, it's just a little walk in the woods.

grog

And there are actually many many (most) accidents at Grand Monadnock that are just not routinely reported.

Just heard from the manager and there were 4 involved rescues over Sat/Sun (2 were fractures) plus a handful of lost folks. The reason you don't often hear it in the news is because the park typically takes first call and often handles most with staff on hand and a team of volunteers. Extra help comes in from F&G or local fire & rescue when the manager can't pull together the resources, or a call first goes to F&G. The park radio traffic stays internal so the press typically does not get wind of things, but if a lot of talk goes over mutual aid or F&G frequencies- then the press finds out. I always found it very annoying having to deal with press in the middle of a situation, especially when they tied up the phones I was trying to make numerous calls on.

-So Phil, is that why you won't hike with me anymore? I should have known your flashlight wouldn't be as bright as the rising moon!

Last edited: