Acclimitize to a 14-er

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a few points if I may. Hanging out at 5k in NH will be off no value whatsoever, you will lose what little benefit before your plane lands out west. Six days out west is more then enough time to aclimate, although some people have a hard time, the average person who is fit, can crank away in 5 days or 4 for that matter. When I lived in San Francisco, I could drive to tuolome meadows, sleep, hike Dana the next day and the day after that go higher with no problem, I once did White mtn peak in 2 days from sea level. Some people are better at aclimating then others period and you need to find your own benchmark to be safe, as you can for sure get sick and even risky sick if your body is not ready for what your climbing.

Hanging out at 5k in NH will be off no value whatsoever, you will lose what little benefit before your plane lands out west.

Assuming that you have the bucks to hang out at Lakes hut (5300 ft), or volunteer for a week of cooking meals for the observers at the Obsy (6300 ft), and assuming that you can get to Manchvegas Airport in a couple hours after your descent, why not? Your airplane cabin will be pressurized at 7500 ft, so why would you lose any altitude acclimatization benefit that you might have gained? I know that I benefit greatly when I spend a couple of days at 5000 ft in Denver before I head to higher elevations in the Rockies, which I have been doing for decades. I know that this experience is anecdotal, but I cannot find any scientific data to dispute the benefit.

I lived for a decade in the SF Bay Area and used to go up high in the Sierra or on Shasta fairly often. I like all the time I can get, but I've had multiple successful trips to 14K on a schedule about like this:

day 1: drive, sea level -> 7000', camp.
day 2: hike higher, but camp around 8500'.
day 3. camp ~ 10K.
day 4: summit & descend.

I've gone from sea level to 12,500' in a single day. Provided you get down low again pretty quickly, that can be OK, but if you get caught up high, having ascended that quickly, you can be in a lot of trouble.

Assuming that you have the bucks to hang out at Lakes hut (5300 ft), or volunteer for a week of cooking meals for the observers at the Obsy (6300 ft), and assuming that you can get to Manchvegas Airport in a couple hours after your descent, why not? Your airplane cabin will be pressurized at 7500 ft, so why would you lose any altitude acclimatization benefit that you might have gained? I know that I benefit greatly when I spend a couple of days at 5000 ft in Denver before I head to higher elevations in the Rockies, which I have been doing for decades. I know that this experience is anecdotal, but I cannot find any scientific data to dispute the benefit.

I guess, but why not just hang out in Denver.

Arrive and sleep one night in Denver. Drive out I-70 and spend the second day/night in Leadville at 10,000. Cute little town.

I am quite susseptabe to AMS. All the huffing and puffing, splitting headache and loss of balance.

I take Diamox. I can go from the plane on day one to a 14er on day 2. Then other 14ers on day 3,4,5. Take a rest day and a few more 14er days after that. Hydration is important.

The first day is usually an easy one like Quandry, Sherman, or Bierdstadt - something that will not keep me up at elevation for more than 3-5 hrs.

Everyone is different. Some have problems at 8k, some never seem to. I find that at 9k & up, w/out adequate acclimatization, I get splitting headaches and diamox prevents that. I still huff 'n puff, but at least feel ok about it. All the diamox does is reduce the acclimiatiazation period. If you are prone to severe altitude-related issues, and not just the physical discomfort of crashing headaches, you will likely still have problems.

I would not recommend pharmaceutical supplements for anyone attempting there first few 14ers.
Don't suppress your bodies symptoms until you have a good understanding of the consequences.

I'm not saying anyone has recommended this but thought the warning was appropriate. :)

I think a vital part of hiking/climbing at altitude is to know what physical symptoms to expect. Not just the emergency, time to go down symptoms, but the average, every day symptoms some people experience. And it is very true that can be different per person and per trip.

You'll probably feel more fatigued. You may have a headache. You may not have an appetite. You'll probably feel out of it. You may feel the "Colorado High" that John Denver sang about and it may not be pleasant. You may feel gassy, but just let it blow out.

In my experience, I know I won't feel sea-level "well" and I don't expect to feel well, so that makes me feel okay.

The bloating in my belly at Muir Camp on Rainier was so bad I couldn't sit to eat, but had to stand. Before Hood's Pearly Gates I stopped looking up to see if I was almost to the summit as our upward gain was wicked slow and we had to be very careful through our low energy level. On Pike's Peak, I enjoyed two of the famous summit restaurant donuts and coffee, feelings of health and well-being be damned, yet on Whitney I felt better after I hydrated and had something nutritious to eat. I allowed more time to get dressed in the early morning at Furtwangler Glacier camp on Kili at 18,500.

When I flew into Cusco (11,200 ft), it was that evening when I started feeling the headache and it got bad enough I had to go lay down for an hour..then felt good enough to be up for a short stroll.....:cool:

I am allergic to diamox so am very carefull about acclimating :(

It was a couple days of just taking it easy until i felt strong enough to start climbing and exerting myself...then I was fine for the whole 4 weeks I was in Peru. We did go up to 13650 on Inca Trail and then 12,421 ft in Puno mtn biking and kayaking to Amantaní Island at 12467 ft. I was fine when a lot of the others who were taking diamox got altitude sick later on the trip..

Everyone rersponds differently but I am a believer in keeping the drugs, for if you really need them..:eek:

Everyone rersponds differently but I am a believer in keeping the drugs, for if you really need them..:eek:

One point is that Diamox takes time to yield its benefit. I have to take it 24-36hrs before going to altitude so waiting to see is not a viable solution for me because if I need it then I have 36hrs of discomfort before the medicine works.

I believe the diarection is to take it 12-24 hrs early. I learned, by taking it the evening before a few times, that this was not early enough. Sometime I find myself taking Diamox in NJ before a trip to CO.

When I was climbing Whitney, I acclimatized in Death Valley. There was a campground at something like 6K feet. I stayed there, climbed Telescope Peak, (went below sea level after) slept at 6K feet, drove to Whitney Portal spent a night there, climbed the next day.

When I was climbing Whitney, I acclimatized in Death Valley. There was a campground at something like 6K feet. I stayed there, climbed Telescope Peak, (went below sea level after) slept at 6K feet, drove to Whitney Portal spent a night there, climbed the next day.

New meaning to the expression "Climb high, sleep low," as Furnace Creek in Death Valley is about 200 ft below sea level. :D

And, is not there an ultramarathon that begins at Furnace Creek and ends on the summit of Whitney?

Wasn't there someone on VFTT who summitted Whitney and then went to the lowest spot in the lower 48 on Death Valley in the same day?

Wasn't there someone on VFTT who summitted Whitney and then went to the lowest spot in the lower 48 on Death Valley in the same day?
I've done that, Ellen, and they are probably others here who have also.

Thom - I don't think they're allowed to run to the summit any longer. I think it ends at the Portal. Am not sure the race is run anymore - Stinkyfeet would probably know. I know there are some bike rides from Furnace Creek to Lone Pine, and a shorter version of that one that begins at the Father Crowley overlook which shortens the ride by several miles and lots of altitude loss/gain.

The campground Pete might be referring could be Mahogany Flats, although there are campgrounds a bit lower on the way. Mahogany Flats is the trail head for Telescope and I believe it's around 8K.

FWIW - am not a big believer in hiking several peaks as "warm-ups" for Whitney, unless you're rather experienced with the effects of elevation, and that's the whole point of this thread, isn't it? I know several here have done it, but ... if the primary point of your trip is to do Whitney, then I return to my original post - camp at 10K, do some moderate hikes for a day or two which will help your body adjust, and save your resources for Whitney. Then, after Whitney, knock yourself out on other peaks. But, keep your eye on the goal.

YMMV as always.

Last edited:
I think taking any medication to "help" with 14er is cheating and completely unnessary.