Alex Honnald - free soloing video

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the 60 Minutes segment. Very impressive and scary to watch. Dude makes it look way too easy. I agree they should study his brain and his body. I think he's the same one who has done the "impossible" cave interior or arch; upside down across the ceiling.

Last edited:
And it's great how humble he his. I think at one point he said he, "wasn't a strong climber, he was an endurance climber." Or something like that...

I just watched the 60 Minutes video online. Absolutely unreal. I had literal pain in my body from the vertigo just from viewing the segment. There's an accompanying "making-of" video, I highly recommend watching it, too.

To quote from Alpinist "Honnold made the ropeless ascent on Tuesday, April 1, 2008. He had rehearsed the climb four times solo with a spool of fixed static line and a mini-traxion—twice on March 28 and twice again on March 29. "I'd eat lunch between [rehearsal ascents]," Honnold said casually; however, these back-to-back-to-back- to-back rehearsals within thirty-six hours are impressive in their own right: Moonlight is a Grade V climb with sustained difficulties—four of the last five pitches are 5.12a or harder. "

Usually it takes a good hard rain to wash away chalk marks.

And in the case of Steph Davis' free solo of the Diamond.. She had gone in alone and solo'ed it and then later went back with the cameras and did it again. Although I'm not sure how much time passed between climbs.

Other than the great photos that come out of it, I have very little interest in rock climbing. Doing it, watching it, reading about it, etc..

Having said that, I was absolutely transfixed watching that 60 Minutes segment last night. My house could've burned down around me and I don't think I would've noticed. That kid is amazing.

p.s. Great to see Lara Logan back after what happened to her.

Am I the only one with the sinking feeling that I know how this is going to turn out?

I sure hope not but I have had the same sinking feeling since I watched this.

To be honest I am more concerned about some young kids viewing this, thinking it's way cool, and making some godforsaken attempt to do their very own free solo. I don't want it to end badly for a child who is just starting out and doesn't have a clue. Alex is old enough decide that this is worth dying for.

As we all know, kids just love to try outrageous things.
We got kids at the trauma center who ignited their capes and flew off the roof after watching some stupid movie.
And then there are those who love to play with, and build explosives. They all come to a bad end. Kids see something cool and they want to try it out for themselves.

The same question keeps going thru my mind. What is the point? Take such a risk with your life for what reason?

I know that mountaineering involves risk, as do other sports, but I honestly cannot make sense of this.

Sometimes it turns out badly (Derek Hersey, John Bachar) and other times it turns out OK (Peter Croft, Scott Franklin). Not a foregone conclusion.

One thing I wish they'd made more clear in the piece is the fact that Alex had done the route already, twice I think, with traditional climbing and safety gear to scout it all out. While it's always possible for there to be an accident, the piece gives the impression he just goes out, sees, and free solo climbs, and at least in this case that's not actually true.

PS - if this was in the main piece, then my apologies; however, I feel like the only place I heard it was in the "making of" piece.

and free solo climbs, and at least in this case that's not actually true.

PS - if this was in the main piece, then my apologies; however, I feel like the only place I heard it was in the "making of" piece.

It was in there but clearly downplayed. It makes for better drama if they don't make that clear. Obfuscation? I agree that should have been more clear.

any way you slice it, it's very, very impressive. I too, can't help but think sooner or later we'll have a "RIP - Honnald" thread...

How's the saying go? "There are old mountaineers and bold mountaineers but no old, bold mountaineers."

It was in there but clearly downplayed. It makes for better drama if they don't make that clear. Obfuscation? I agree that should have been more clear.

any way you slice it, it's very, very impressive. I too, can't help but think sooner or later we'll have a "RIP - Honnald" thread...

How's the saying go? "There are old mountaineers and bold mountaineers but no old, bold mountaineers."

Yes, because they died of old age :eek:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33427

Last edited:
To be honest I am more concerned about some young kids viewing this, thinking it's way cool, and making some godforsaken attempt to do their very own free solo. I don't want it to end badly for a child who is just starting out and doesn't have a clue. Alex is old enough decide that this is worth dying for.

IMO anyone whom can preform at this level is very focused and majorly aware of their surrundings. If you watch the 60 minute presentation you can see that Alex has already embraced the younger community and is not shoving anything down their throat which IMO is a healthy perspective. If we as a society and a climbing community take an extreme situation like this and try to extrapulate it to the worse case scenario then we have all lost perspective of the need to strive for one's best in life. Alex is doing what he is good at and with all humblness. Therefore IMO setting a great example for the youger community for what is possible in life if one sets their mind to it.

IMO anyone whom can preform at this level is very focused and majorly aware of their surrundings. If you watch the 60 minute presentation you can see that Alex has already embraced the younger community and is not shoving anything down their throat which IMO is a healthy perspective. If we as a society and a climbing community take an extreme situation like this and try to extrapulate it to the worse case scenario then we have all lost perspective of the need to strive for one's best in life. Alex is doing what he is good at and with all humblness. Therefore IMO setting a great example for the youger community for what is possible in life if one sets their mind to it.

Yes...I can see where he is a glowing example to youth. He exemplifies persistence, commitment, and dedication to his craft. All very fine qualities.
This is was concerns me. It's great that he is not shoving it down anyone's throat. He doesn't have to.
The kid who set his cape on fire and tried flying off the roof did not have that shoved down his throat either.
He saw it in a movie. He is only small example.
Young kids don't always appreciate "humble" and "death defying risk taking".
They see something that we as adults believe to be a serious risk to life and limb, but because a child's frontal lobes are not quite fully developed, off they go to try it out.

Having witnessed my share of grizzly endings in a "trauma center", I think it's not a bad idea to at least contemplate the fact that viewing something like this might encourage a youngster to "go for it".

I don't think one has to obsess over it, but just be aware, and if you know that your kid is a real daredevil, it might be a good time to have a little chat.

Just my 2 cents...although I appreciate that 2 cents is not worth much in our present economy.

I don't think one has to obsess over it, but just be aware, and if you know that your kid is a real daredevil, it might be a good time to have a little chat.

I'm glad you stated this as I do agree. Exactly the idea I was trying to convey in my above post. As adults we certainly have the responsibility
to guide our youth appropriately; but I think it is also important not to stifle it either. Unfortunately there are the youth that donot have the access to appropriate guidance growing up. Although IMO we should not squelch and sacrifice potential learning and access from "Extreme Sport" to the masses of youth with the paradigm of protecting the individuals that go astray. In contrast we should as a society continue to strive for better understanding and education of those individuals therfore not infringing on the opportunities of the masses.