Allen Bridge over Opalescent is out

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSpruce

Reaction score
DEC has been advised and will very soon post a warning sign at the Allen Mt. trailhead. At the moment the whole bridge is sitting in the middle of the river about 75 yards downstream kind of on top of the rocks. It could still be attached on one end. DEC will try to get in there this week to remove structure from river bed before "Spring" takes it further downstream and away for re-installation.

Please don't try to wade river at that point as current is much stronger than it appears and the water could be very cold at this time of year.

An alternate route from Upper Works: not really! When Elk Lake Lodge opens in early May you can try bushwhacking to Allen from the Elk Lake / Marcy Trail. Another option that willl keep you high and dry are the not so great bushwhacks either from Skylight over McDonell or directly from Redfield.

As of now, it will likely be at least another three years before public access will be allowed at certain time of year via the roads of the Opalescent and East River Clubs.

This isn't the first time that bridge has washed out. It happened back in the winter of 1990 as I recall. We hiked out there and were turned back at the raging river ... no where to cross. Ended up waiting another year to get that peak.

"I hope the bridge will be up before the summer":

It will depend if the structure can be saved! Even if it's not at some point the water will be low enough and the current mild to allow you to remove your boots and walked across safely. In any case I will likely be able to drive to the club by mid-May and able to post an update on the state/location of the bridge.

Crossing the Opalescent

Back in 2001 the bridge was out. I climbed Allen the first week in June and we were able to cross a little upriver. The water was very cold - I still remember - but definitely able to be waded. The water level where we crossed was over the boot tops, but well below the knees. We knew the bridge was out, so Tevas were the order of the day. My recollection was that the bridge wasn't fixed for quite a while. But then again, back in 2001 the trail was still "closed" as a result of Floyd, so maybe they'll fix it sooner.

yvon said:
Allen is one of the 4 that I need. I hope the bridge will be up before the summer.

Allen is one of the 4 that I need as well. Hoping to finish this summer! Just may have to wade across on this one. I certainly won't let a little bit of water stand in my way.

Allen Alternate Legal Route

* Upper Works to Flowed Lands, 4.7 miles
* F. L. via Hanging Spear Falls to Former Twin Brook Lean-to site (big sign/turn), 3.2 miles
* From there to Allen Mt is about 4.5 miles by the Twin Bk/herdpath/Skylight Bk/Allen Bk route.

Total one way = 12.4 miles, or about 25 miles round trip.

C'mon, you patsies :eek: , it's an easy day hike, only 5-6 miles longer...go for it! Or camp at Flowed Lands, and do it as a day hike from there.

JoeCedar said:
* Upper Works to Flowed Lands, 4.7 miles
* F. L. via Hanging Spear Falls to Former Twin Brook Lean-to site (big sign/turn), 3.2 miles
* From there to Allen Mt is about 4.5 miles by the Twin Bk/herdpath/Skylight Bk/Allen Bk route.

Total one way = 12.4 miles, or about 25 miles round trip.

C'mon, you patsies :eek: , it's an easy day hike, only 5-6 miles longer...go for it! Or camp at Flowed Lands, and do it as a day hike from there.

That will be longer for your goal for this year, Joe.

If conditions let you cross easely at the old dam site at Flowed Land outlet you likely can wade the Opalescent at the Allen trail bridge site or a few hundred yards South where a "road" goes right into the river bed.

prino said:
and the travel companion I hope? :D

Not sure if she is properly attired for bushwacking. :p Though perhaps she can wait at the Oppo for your return from Allen and provide a ferry service across the missing bridge.

Jay

I also need allen and dont want to go it alone if I dont have to. I looks like a lot of people will be doing allen this summer. If anyone is doing it please post it under "trips". I will do the same, thanks.

Did Allen last June, then again this winter. I'd like to say I'm done with that one but hope to hit it in summer with a friend, and then years from now with my wife and children, also during summer months. I ain't doin' it again in the winter, near killed me, wow was I out of shape and I paid for it!

Anyway back to the subject at hand, given the water being at summer levels, it is crossable without the bridge.