Alone with Demons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanna,

Which day are you looking at the Pemi Loop? I'm attempting it on Monday, the plan right now is to stay at Lyon's (a Hostel, like HP but less dumpy, IMO but I like HP too, I'm low/no maintaince & get spoiled traveling on business) in Twin Mountain Sunday Night & then get an early 4:30 trail start? Object would be start hiking at first light or just before.

My thought is I'll likely run out of gas at some point & descend either Franconia Brook or Twin Brook after hitting the Franconia's & Garfield (Galehead?)

If your going Monday & want company, let me know, if not that's fine too, might see you out there!

Near dark or after dark in areas where bears frequent sometimes will get me to bang my poles & talk out loud when being solo. (worried about surprising a bear around a bend & then feeling self conscious that my talking to myself will cause any hikers I come across to worry about my sanity :eek: )

I have seen the demon that you are talking about. He lives in Hell, well New Jersey, which is what I picture hell to be like.

I caught a picture of the Demon on Overlook Mountain doing some sort of weird ritual.

So be careful, but the plastic spoon is a good idea for a weapon.

p.s. does this link work Abster. same picture

Last edited:
I was completely ok w/ staying in hostels until i read this post. Now i will be worried about the person next to me sleeping with a knife. Was this a sharp knife, or a dull butter knife? I would think that the best protection is to tell any weird strangers about the spreading rash or the infectious bumps where the sun don't shine. That should scare off any weirdos.

4000'er - what a story! Although moose seem mellow even the little ones could cause some SERIOUS damage.

SpongeBob - are you teasing me? I don't have 'access' to your picture.

Mike, my plan is to do the Pemi Loop in 2 days, starting Sat. morning. I have a reservation at Galehead Hut on Sat. evening and walk out Sun. Hopefully the weather will be good! Have a great hike. :)

K. Tut - It was a BIG knife, but it was a good sized spoon too! I have to say that someone who stays at the HP hostel probably doesn't worry a lot about getting some weird rash.....but wait a second...do kooties count? :eek:

Percious - I guess with a few friends and some good ADK beer that I could have overlooked a lot of things too.

Abster said:
I have to say that someone who stays at the HP hostel probably doesn't worry a lot about getting some weird rash.

Never stayed there, but have to point out that for an AT thruhiker getting ready to cross into Maine, with limited funds, Hiker's Paradise is a welcome place to stay in otherwise pricey Gorham....and probably deserves a positive plug on this site for all the thruhikers they've helped out over the years!!! :rolleyes:

Abster,
I can relate! I do most of my hiking solo and truly enjoy it, but recently I've been pushing myself to do more solo backwoods camping...my demons sing loud and clear at night in a tent. The further away from civilization, the louder they are. It's really amazing what your head can do with the many sounds that happen in the woods at night. The really good thing is that I hike even harder during the day so I know I'll sleep better at night!:D

Hiker's Paradise

Una Dogger is right - I don't mean to talk down Hiker's Paradise. I have stayed in both the hotel part and hostel. The owners are both nice, interesting people and I wouldn't want to do the business any harm. This thread was mostly about my fears hiking solo this weekend.

For what it is, the hostel is clean and equipt for hikers looking for a no-frills place to stay.

nice report hannah - except for the godsmack references :eek: . That is garbage metal :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :) Much better metal out there!!!!

HP is what it is, nice, cheap, no frills lodging - I love the place and I think bruno is one heck of a dude :D I never found it to be dirty, etc... But my standards are extremely low :D In fact, if the rain doesn't stay in mass this weekend and pucjes north - I maybe paying a visit to the ole HP.

but its not for everyone.

great report.

"Prophecy" great thanks a lot I had forgotten about that.

SpongeBob - I viewed the picture. Very cute!

Mr. X - Don't make me choose the big knife :eek:

This thread reminds me of something I have seen recently on Discovery about ghosts and such. The program stated that some research has been done on the psychology of fear. Your mind will play tricks on you. You will start to sense and perceive more. If you put two people in a "haunted" house, one is a believer in ghost and the other is a none believer. The believer will have experiences...The belief triggers a fear which triggers neurotransmitters etc. They go on to explain why horror movies make great date movies.

Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt

I know exactly what you are talking about, Abster. I don't worry for my personal safety quite as much, but I have been known to get stuck inside my head when solo for the weekend. I'll get all wrapped up about something and I won't be able to get out of it. Or I'll get overly emotional. I could go into more details, but I REALLY don't feel like sharing that much. If you want a little insight, however, this is a pretty good entry from when I hiked for a week solo in the the Wind River Range in Wyoming. I remember talking outloud to myself quite a bit this day:

http://friends.backcountry.net/chomp/j20020917.html

Anxiety

I have a lot of anxiety before I go hiking. Lots of bad dreams the night before, anxiety all the way to the trailhead etc. I really don't like it at all.

When I hike alone I'm fine. However, when I hike alone and see nobody all day, I feel lonely. I don't know what it is -- I'm not a particularly social person but I guess I like to have people around. I did a little loop one day, up Garfield and over to Galehead. I didn't see a single person all day -- not even a car in the parking lot. It was a weird feeling... no worries about a bear or a moose or onka jumping out of the woods and eating me, but more like a feeling that you're the only person in the world.

-Dr. Wu

Great journal entry Chomp. Interesting.

For all of us on this site this must be one of the things that unites us as a 'group'. In participating in our chosen past time it is likely we will be cold, wet, anxious, tired and hungry each time we go, but we still go to test ourselves and somehow relate to a force bigger than us.

Pretty cool.

Yeah, hiking and backpacking solo...
About 14 years ago I hiked up to Liberty to camp at the tent site. I set up, hit the summit thinking I would do the ridge the next day. I was in the tent by 7:30, didn't sleep a wink! Up all night worrying about moose and bears and axe murderers. Not in that order. I was up, ate, washed, packed and was back at the car by 7am, home before 9am. It SUCKED! :(
I hiked Cannon last year alone, and it was better, but still a little sketchy.
I would REALLY like to learn to like solo hiking and backpacking, I think it would be a great next adventure and learning experience for me.
Besides, what is scarier than me with bed head? :rolleyes:
Great post, I am with you on this one.
Sometimes we have to deal with the worst demons of all, the ones that reside in our own minds...