Alpine Zone Camping & the 2 feet of snow rule ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good question, Chip. In open areas above treeline it's rare to see much snow as it gets blown over into the leeward side of the Presis where you'd be crazy to camp given the AV danger. About the only place it 'sticks' above treeline is in the krumholtz and crevasses between the rocks. In rare instances of heavy wet snow it can plaster itself to the ground and build up some thickness but I've not seen that too often.

I think one way to view this camping requirement is the intent behind it, which I believe is that the snow/ice covering should be deep enough to protect the plants beneath it. So, if agree with this line of reasoning, then setting up your tent and pad in a protected area when there's little chance of compacting the flora is probably OK.

And, it's not like the snow police are doing regular patrols. This stuff is mostly on the honor system. If you interpret this requrement literally it would be nearly impossible to camp above treeline in the Presis. I've never seen 2' of snow in a possible campsite.

Last edited:
Between Pierce & Ike, once we get some snow this area has some drifts. I could see off the Gulfside on Adams also may have some potential heading towards Edmands, (leeside of Sam Adams)

Mike P. said:
Between Pierce & Ike, once we get some snow this area has some drifts.
I've heard reports that the snow can get deep enough here that the spuce traps can be dangerous...

I could see off the Gulfside on Adams also may have some potential heading towards Edmands, (leeside of Sam Adams)
The traditional camping area for prezzie traverses is just NE of Sphinx Col. Snow tends to collect here and it is somewhat protected from westerly winds. (However it is totally unprotected from winds from other directions.)

Doug

I may end up at Cannon or Wildcat as (ideally) I'd hike up, get a peak or 2, camp at tree-line and ski down. That may be too much to hope for, though, so a shorter hike to a ridge to camp is also possible. This would be in Jan and Feb, so I was wondering if and how there was a hard-line determination that enough snow had fallen to allow Alpine Zone camping, or if like Kevin suggests, I should just abide by the spirit of the rule.

Both Cannon and Wildcat are below treeline, so that shouldn't be a problem. But make sure you're off state land at Cannon, no camping in the State Park.

-dave-

Slightly off topic...

The lee slope below Dingmaul Rock above Edmands Col is a great place to snow cave, even in fairly lean snow years. I am not sure how that fits in with the 2 feet of snow rule. I have enjoyed several very snuggly nights there as arctic storms raged through the col. Gene Prater's Snowshoeing ( recently updated) is a great primer on comfortable caving.

DougPaul said:
The traditional camping area for prezzie traverses is just NE of Sphinx Col. Snow tends to collect here and it is somewhat protected from westerly winds.
If this map is correct (it may not be) that spot is within the Great Gulf Wilderness and hence illegal regardless of snow depth.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.2916&lon=-71.3163&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Two other places I've often seen tents (in the lee of Lakes hut and on one of the Lakes) are also illegal under other provisions regardless of snow depth.

Originally the Forest Protection Areas were designated based on summer resource damage, but the FS arbitrarily extended them to winter without considering that many of them would be reasonable for winter camping.

Camping above treeline

On a traverse last year myself and Bill ran across a great setup at Edmonds Col,
There must have been 4 sleep tents and a common area the group had carved out for dining. Wind walls and benches carved from snow.
It looked very well maintained and sensitive to the requirements plantlife.
On a trip back this November we made mental notes and map notes of the area for a possible basecamp.

I like the snow cave idea also Tim.

Scott

Last edited:
RoySwkr said:
If this map is correct (it may not be) that spot is within the Great Gulf Wilderness and hence illegal regardless of snow depth.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.2916&lon=-71.3163&datum=nad27&layer=DRG
I think the position is a bit off. Check out the AMC map--the Sphinx trail is incorrectly located on the topozone map. But you still may be right with respect to the wilderness zone. Wasn't an issue when I camped there...

Originally the Forest Protection Areas were designated based on summer resource damage, but the FS arbitrarily extended them to winter without considering that many of them would be reasonable for winter camping.
Bureaucracy in action... :(

Doug