Amazing Owl video

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a nice video...

However, it looks to me like the owl is flying to an elevated perch rather than pouncing on prey. (It is also much easier to preposition a camera behind a perch...)

Doug

...but unless one knows something as fact is there a reason to counter?

And I agree. Quite the video!

...but unless one knows something as fact is there a reason to counter?
The video itself is the evidence...

The bird comes in low and climbs at the last moment to spill speed just before reaching the elevated perch. It also angles its wings to a high angle-of-attack to spill speed at the last moment. All typical of a bird landing on an elevated perch.

There is also no prey visible.

Doug

I was sent this video a couple months ago and searched out the hi-res version. There was another similar 1000fps owl video and I recall seeing a morsel of meat on the perch at the bottom of the screen. I think it's pretty common practice in falconry, etc. to use a little come-along like that.

Great video, though. Lovely plumage!!!:D

What a majestic creature! Wow, he was gorgeous. I don't really care what he is or is not doing. He is beautiful and the photography is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing.

As much as I enjoy owls and owl images, this is something I'd rather not see happen. Baiting owls is a practice that has led to harming owls across North America. See this NatureScapes forum thread and Laura Erickson's "Photography Ethics".

I see bands on the owl's legs that suggest this is either a rehabbed owl or perhaps involved in falconry.