AMC Maine Mountain Guide 10th Edition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
Just got the new (2012) edition of the Maine Mountain Guide. What a difference! The previous (2005) edition was good, but this one has so many improvements.

• 75 new peaks
  • 200 new trails
  • Complete coverage of Eastern Acadia
  • Expanded coverage of Baxter and 100 Mile Wilderness
  • Completely new GPS rendered maps (100' contours)
  • Updated trail descriptions
  • Elevations listed along with distance and time on trail segments (ala White Mountain Guide).

Amazon is selling the 10th edition for $16.95, which is a real bargain

Now that we're reaching the end of our 4K list in NH it's time to start branching out (not that we're going to be abandoning the Whites by any stretch). Really looking forward to planning out some new trips.

Also picked up the Map Adventures Katahdin/Baxter map. It has great detail (40' contours) and the White Mountains version has been the one in my pack for the last 5 years.

Now we're counting down the days till Baxter in August!

Just got the new (2012) edition of the Maine Mountain Guide. What a difference! The previous (2005) edition was good, but this one has so many improvements.

• 75 new peaks
  • 200 new trails
  • Complete coverage of Eastern Acadia
  • Expanded coverage of Baxter and 100 Mile Wilderness
  • Completely new GPS rendered maps (100' contours)
  • Updated trail descriptions
  • Elevations listed along with distance and time on trail segments (ala White Mountain Guide).

Amazon is selling the 10th edition for $16.95, which is a real bargain

Now that we're reaching the end of our 4K list in NH it's time to start branching out (not that we're going to be abandoning the Whites by any stretch). Really looking forward to planning out some new trips.

Also picked up the Map Adventures Katahdin/Baxter map. It has great detail (40' contours) and the White Mountains version has been the one in my pack for the last 5 years.

Now we're counting down the days till Baxter in August!
But There are some issues......Such as no map for several of the 4thousand footers!It is still very,very good though,especially the part on the 100 acre wilderness..The mountain Wanderer has them in Lincoln,ask for steve smith.His store is on right.Incense shop on left....Nice to help the local economy also....
Mt.truman is the baxter map adventures map have feet or is it in euro lingo?

the mountain wanderer also has an online store with fast and affordable shipping if you can't make it there during his business hours.

bryan

The guy who works there can tell you stuff that maps know nothing about :cool:

Removing Acadia from the previous edition was a real crock, did you mean that western Acadia was still missing?

Trying to cover all the mountains in Maine in one book is a tough task, sounds like they're doing better.

Good point on the Mountain Wanderer. We should all be supporting Steve and all our other local businesses. (OK, I currently live in RI, but consider NH my local businesses for this).

The maps only cover eastern Acadia (which is the majority of the trails). I'll have to look tonight and see if the west side trails are at least in the book.

I bought a 4K shirt from Steve and it was too small, he let me swap it at the 4K dinner, no hassle and always great service! Another plug to support his shop when you can...

My 10th edition just arrived in the mail. Wow, what an upgrade for me from the 7th edition. The maps look very nice. This might be an ignorant question as I haven't given the maps close scrutiny yet (at work) but the maps say they are GPS-mapped - where do I find it on the maps and how do I use it with my GPS ? :)

For the collectors out there, the 1st editions MMG is a lot easy to find than the first edition WMG.

The Maine 4ks missing from the maps that come with the book are in a separate map by AMC. Just a few extra $.

My 10th edition just arrived in the mail. Wow, what an upgrade for me from the 7th edition. The maps look very nice. This might be an ignorant question as I haven't given the maps close scrutiny yet (at work) but the maps say they are GPS-mapped - where do I find it on the maps and how do I use it with my GPS ? :)

This just means that someone actually walked the trails with a GPS and the tracks were used to create the trail maps. It would be nice if those track were also made available to be downloaded to your GPS, but sadly that's not the case. Perhaps they can do a Maine version of the WMG Online - that would be nice. In the mean time we'll have to rely on wikiloc and GPS track from the VFTT community.

I believe you mean the M.A.T.C.Maine appalachian trail club....map#6 2009 15th edition....

I stopped in The Mountain Wanderer on Tues looking for a map for missing Maine 4 K peaks not provided with the 10th edition. I had to buy the whole whole set of Maine AT maps (7) and guide book, $27.95 to get the one map. Steve did not know why the editors would include trail descriptions for these 4 K peaks, in the 10th edition, but no maps, but was going to question the editors about it. So maybe it will be included in future editions.

Steve did not know why the editors would include trail descriptions for these 4 K peaks, in the 10th edition, but no maps, but was going to question the editors about it. So maybe it will be included in future editions.
IIRC the MMG was a marginal-revenue book once they removed Acadia to increase sales of the Acadia book. If someone felt all the maps needed to be new maybe the budget didn't allow for that one, if the book sells well maybe the next one will be better while if someone sees the chance to put all the NE100 in ME in a single book that may become the preferred resource instead and MMG sales will tank.

IIRC the MMG was a marginal-revenue book once they removed Acadia to increase sales of the Acadia book. If someone felt all the maps needed to be new maybe the budget didn't allow for that one, if the book sells well maybe the next one will be better while if someone sees the chance to put all the NE100 in ME in a single book that may become the preferred resource instead and MMG sales will tank.

Does anyone know if the description of the route to the start of the Firewarden's Trail on Mt. Abraham is any more accurate than it was in the previous edition?

Does anyone know if the description of the route to the start of the Firewarden's Trail on Mt. Abraham is any more accurate than it was in the previous edition?
Recent trail changes might not have made it into the new 10th edition.However some differences are; in the 9th edition a "new bridge over rapid stream" is described.In the 10th,there is a better description of the bridges over Rapid stream and how to cross them, but ironically Irene washed them out so the enhanced description is negated,this also makes "accuracy" a tough question.I ran into this problem this past december http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?42835-Abraham-attempt-via-east-side-from-kingfield ;start of trail description for 9th."The blue blazed trail follows the southern bank of Norton brook,crosses the brook,and continues along the northern bank,gradually climbing." While the 10th starts with "The trail passes through deciduous forest to cross a logging road in about 1 mile"After that both descriptions are very similar.Hope this helps somewhat.
List of 4 thous. footers with no maps in the 10 edition:( 1]Crocker 2]South Crocker 3]Redington 4]Sugarloaf 5]Saddleback 6]The Horn(saddleback) 7]Spaulding 8]Abraham! There are descriptions of all these trails, but no maps....use matc or delorme accordingly.Thus the awsome Map2 of the 9th edition is a relic now[glad I still have 2 left]Redington is not covered in both editions,maps or descriptions[maybe because up till recently Redington was a bushwack of sorts].In fact in the 10th, Redington is not even in the index,a big disappointment.This treatment of 8 of the 14 Maine 4 thous. footers is odd to put it mildly.
A often overlooked map for this area that has all 8 is the Franklin county region map,2010.It is for tourists, but has contours and very good topographical features.I have done 7 out of those 8 and used the matc map 6 and the amc map2[9th edition].

Last edited:
The Maine 4ks missing from the maps that come with the book are in a separate map by AMC. Just a few extra $.

oh NO! Just came back from Joy Street (AMC headquarters) and there is no map that covers Spaulding, Abe, Redington and the Crockers. I was told that AMC does not cover all of Maine in their maps. I have the one from the old Maine guide.

I think I will need to order map 6 here at MATC http://matc.org/Store.htm

I got mine from REI Boston a few weeks ago-- guess it is from the 9th edition of the guide, but is a nice Tyvek map. Maybe they have some more, or is that the one you have?

oh NO! Just came back from Joy Street (AMC headquarters) and there is no map that covers Spaulding, Abe, Redington and the Crockers. I was told that AMC does not cover all of Maine in their maps. I have the one from the old Maine guide.

I think I will need to order map 6 here at MATC http://matc.org/Store.htm
Hi Peppersass! Check out posts #12/#13/#16[2cd paragraph] of this thread.....;)

Last edited:
I stopped in The Mountain Wanderer on Tues looking for a map for missing Maine 4 K peaks not provided with the 10th edition. I had to buy the whole whole set of Maine AT maps (7) and guide book, $27.95 to get the one map. Steve did not know why the editors would include trail descriptions for these 4 K peaks, in the 10th edition, but no maps, but was going to question the editors about it. So maybe it will be included in future editions.

Kerry do these maps cover East Kennebago, Kennebago Divide, Snow, and Boundary Peak?