Ammonoosuc Ravine to Alpine Garden

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
heavy mist in the lowlands in the early morning along Mt. Clinton Rd.

157aaa.jpg

I bailed and started up the Cherry Mtn. Trail instead because it looked like rain in the alpine zone. But breaks of sunshine convinced me to go back.

A heavy mist makes a wonderful atmoshere in the forest. Lots of bunchberry and Canada mayflower and ferns and mosses...

001aaa.jpg

The mist kept the trail very quiet. I had a nice encounter with three little bunnies who slowly travelled across the trail. The black one stopped right in front of me, the grey one is seen in the upper left, and a brown one was there too.

159aaa.jpg

005aaa.jpg

upper part of the trail...

021aaa-1.jpg

rhodora still in bloom...

017aaa.jpg

Lakes of the Clouds and Mt. Monroe...blessedly quiet

051aaa-1.jpg

diapensia on the Tuckerman Crossover...

049aaa.jpg

nice big clumps of alpine bluets near the top of Tuckerman Ravine...

047aaa.jpg

Just as I arrived at Tuckerman Junction, the mist lifted for a few minutes...

031aaa.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
Diapensia and lapland rosebay had recently gone by but there were still a few nice blooms in the Alpine Garden.

mountain sandwort (?)

024aaa.jpg

alpine azalea is also just past peak...

045aaa.jpg

Mountain cranberry is just starting to bud.

Mountain avens are just starting to bloom...

032aaa-1.jpg

The weather was beautiful because it never actually rained and the light was soft and the forest was lush with color and the traffic was very light.

I spotted a cow moose off the Kancamagus on the way home. It was the same cow and calf I saw two weeks ago. I followed them to a feild where they were trotting around like young horses. It was amazing to see them playing like that. The calf was noticably bigger than two weeks ago.

193aaa.jpg

195aaa.jpg

224aaa.jpg

210aaa.jpg

happy trails :)

Patrick, all your photos are fabulous (as always). I particularly like the first photo of the moose in the mist, and I also very much like the snapshot taken at Tuckerman Junction.

Absolutely beautiful photos, Forestgnome! The last one is my favorite - a great pose with exceptional color!

Glad the rain held back to make a great trip up to the garden! No moose there, though! :D

I am just wondering why I am seeing these for free???