Animal Id from fur?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Okay, so this sounds kinda gross, but here goes...

While out walking Dugan 4-legs a couple of evenings ago, he predictably got upset at a fire pond that we pass. The fire pond is just off a paved local road on the way to our woods walk. Much to the local DPW's dismay, the beavers have once again reoccupied the pond. I usually use my head lamp in this area because the last thing we need is an after dark encounter with a beaver that I can't see. Dugan started his usual air scenting and growling routine then broke off to sniff something in the road. I looked around carefully because I was certain there must be something there, given that very little typically distracts him from the beavers.

I found a clump of fur attached to a little piece of skin. If you've ever had a dog or cat that had a scab that healed and peeled off, that sort of what it looks like. The color is orangish at the base, shading to black further out, then some shades back to orange. Most of it is coarse outer guard hair, but there is some undercoat fur as well. The hairs are 1.5 to 2 inches long. No blood or anything in the road or on the skin or fur.

Due to the color, my guess is fox. I know they're around because we've seen them many times in the neighborhood.

Yes? No?

Dugan said:
.... a couple of evenings ago, ..... after dark....... I looked around carefully because I was certain there must be something there......I found a clump of fur attached to a little piece of skin....
It was a full moon a few days ago, right? You saw nothing, right? The dog sensed something, right?

Classic Werewolf. No doubt about it.

You were lucky.

That's ridiculous. I've never seen a werewolf with orange hair.

dug said:
That was my first thought, but think about it.

In these days of rapid communication (Internet) where people can ask about strange occurrences, werewolves are worried. Hair dies are widely available. Finally werewolves are not dumb. QED.

Interesting theory, and one I had not thought of. Maybe we can test that hair to see if there is any dyes or other means of artificial color enhancements present?

dug said:

Yeah, you've probably never seen one in Trader Vic's drinking a Pina Coloda either, but that does not mean they don't frequent the place.

cb

Definitely werewolf. The orange coat color is the "in color" this winter. Most of the ones I've seen up in the Whites lately have been this hue. :D

Dugan,

Were-beavers are not in central Mass (further north I believe) sorry but were wolfs are. I saw one over in the Birch Hill (Roylston,MA) area once back in the 80's near one of the numerous high school party spots (not that I knew where they were :cool: ) Back then big hair was in and it reeked of hair spray.

As for orange hair, as mentioned it may be in now. However I believe this one may of been smart and dyed it that color due to hunting season.

brianW