Are poles worth it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do Use Poles

• No

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Some of the time

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • All of the time

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • Depends on trail conditions

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Uphill

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Downhill

Votes: 19 17.8%
  • On the steeps

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • On the flats

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • On the rocks (not booze!)

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters
Personal preference of corse, but I can't imagine having them in my hands...I use my hands while hiking....taking picks, grabbing branches, drinking, eating, wiping sweat, etc., etc......can't imagine not having free hands.

I like them in snow with a heavy pack.

I like them on descents after a long day, especially rockier routes like those in the northern Pressies.

Most of the time, I find myself simply carrying them and not using them however, and don't really care if I forget them.

They have saved me from rolling an ankle more than once when I was able to get one "stuck" as I began to stumble.

I probably haven't used them on my last 5 hikes. I don't consider them necessary gear.

When I started hiking I was sort of luke warm on them. Eventually I just stopped using them. Then I had a bad bout with ITB friction band syndrome. I used them while I was recovering, and I have not stopped since. I honestly don't know if they are helping from a recurrence of ITBFBS (though I haven't had one yet), but I have found they allow me to spread the workload of my climbing to my upper arms as well. Plus they help me with my stability on downhills (yeah, can be a bit of a klutz.) :)

Brian

I have balance issues, so I use them all the time. When I started hiking, I had them but they stayed collapsed in my pack most of the time. But, once I was finally convinced to try them, I use them all the time now. They're great for balance, especially water crossings, bog bridges.

They can occassionally be cumbersome. As I like to say "they're useful except when they're not". They're no use on scrambles, ladder climbing, big drops where it's just easier to swing down from a tree, etc.

But, for the type of hiking I normally do, they're useful at least 95% of the time and I don't hike without them anymore, even on the "easy" stuff. I've gone out on what were supposed to be easy hikes and found one or two sections where I'd have preferred to have them.

Moderator Note
You all know the rules, no politics. Some edits and deletions made. If you have problems with what I have done, please contact me directly.

Lately I find I just carry my poles on flat and easy terrain. They get used going up steeper areas, and going down. They are also great when crossing rivers on rocks for extra balance points. We get rid of them by putting them in the pack for rocky scrambles and climbs.
I have the Lekis with the spring loaded feature and often "leap frog" over large rocks and obstacles on the way down, saving my back which has limited flexibility.

I have used poles since before poles where cool, trust me I used to get looks like I was crazy using poles in the summer. Studies have been done extensively and the data does not lie. It is aprox.30% more efficient to hike with poles verses without (no I cant qoute a study, ask doug). If you dont like them as some dont go without, but they provide much better balance and more energy for ascending. Ive used the one staff method on occasion as I make hiking sticks out of beaver sticks but that method falls short of the 2 pole method overall.

Studies have been done extensively and the data does not lie. It is aprox.30% more efficient to hike with poles verses without (no I cant qoute a study, ask doug). If you dont like them as some dont go without, but they provide much better balance and more energy for ascending.
Sorry, don't have a study ref at hand. But I have seen lots of ridiculous claims such has how many tons of weight they have removed from your feet.

I don't know whether poles make you more efficient. (efficiency=external_work_done/calories_consumed), however I do believe they reduce fatigue. Think, for instance, of a big step up while wearing a heavy pack. This might take 90% of your max leg strength to perform without poles, but might only require 80% of your max leg strength to perform with poles. (Time a nice double-pole with the step up.) They reduce the fatigue due to the more difficult movements and allow you to keep going longer. In essence, they reduce fatigue by spreading the work out over more muscles. (Similarly, sports like XC-ski racing and rowing have the highest energy requirements because they use the whole body--a ski racer can require as much as 14K cal/day.) One could make a similar argument for downhill (hiking), although in this case it might be reducing the peak forces on the legs reduces the damage.

Doug

Sorry, don't have a study ref at hand. But I have seen lots of ridiculous claims such has how many tons of weight they have removed from your feet.

I don't know whether poles make you more efficient. (efficiency=external_work_done/calories_consumed), however I do believe they reduce fatigue. Think, for instance, of a big step up while wearing a heavy pack. This might take 90% of your max leg strength to perform without poles, but might only require 80% of your max leg strength to perform with poles. (Time a nice double-pole with the step up.) They reduce the fatigue due to the more difficult movements and allow you to keep going longer. In essence, they reduce fatigue by spreading the work out over more muscles. (Similarly, sports like XC-ski racing and rowing have the highest energy requirements because they use the whole body--a ski racer can require as much as 14K cal/day.) One could make a similar argument for downhill (hiking), although in this case it might be reducing the peak forces on the legs reduces the damage.

Doug

doug, I wouldnt presume to dabate science with you, but in addition to what I have read, I base alot of my opinion on my own study, many many miles, many many peaks. Like all aspects of climbing though, to each his/her own.

I've seperated a shoulder before, and frankly, lugging a pole around just causes me pain if it's not necessary.

doug, I wouldnt presume to dabate science with you, but in addition to what I have read, I base alot of my opinion on my own study, many many miles, many many peaks. Like all aspects of climbing though, to each his/her own.
I wasn't suggesting that your statement was wrong--just that I didn't know of any studies to support it.

My opinion, as well, was based upon lots of use.

Doug

I wasn't suggesting that your statement was wrong--just that I didn't know of any studies to support it.

My opinion, as well, was based upon lots of use.

Doug
Just to clarify I didnt take your post that way at all, no problem. I as well felt like I should have had something concrete to refer to. Then again everything I comment on is 99% based on my own experiences and trial and error over the years, where as you seem to combine your exerience with copious amounts of data and studies, no that thats a bad thing your a smart guy doug, me I left school to hike and climb, I guess you could say the wilderness and mountains were and continue to be my school.:D

I used to carry poles mainly for downhill. Then I did Isolation without any (lost them the day before), and discovered I didn't really need them. Besides, I like to have my hands free for scrambles. Now I carry just one collapsible pole on my pack to be used for hairy stream crossings. For winter snowshoeing I use XC ski poles; they're lighter than trekking poles and don't collapse in cold weather.

Last summer I climbed the Hunt Trail on Katahdin, and my companion insisted on using his poles the whole way, including the very bouldery, scrambly middle mile. He looked to be having a very awkward time of it, but would not relinquish them.

Last edited:
I regard poles somewhat like seat belts. Some of the time they are restrictive. Much of the time they are really of no consideration. Occasionally, they are truely a saver of limbs. I carry mine most all of the time (unless I screw up and forget them.)

I agree with the polers! I also have BD flicklocks, having had bad luck with Lekis, Komperdells, etc.
Even on "sidewalk" terrain I like them because my hands hanging at my sides tend to swell after an hour or two.
I've protected Leo from a mean Jack Russell terrier;
I can almost always recover without falling after a misstep;
I don't think they're fully responsible for my still-functional knees, but they give me confidence and good balance. They don't replace good form such as keeping the quads involved to prevent hyperextension, etc;
They help prevent jarring when I might otherwise be tempted to jump down at a steep spot;
I don't need to look for sticks to help me across a stream;
They can sometimes be useful on an open bushwhack, such as sidehilling on slick leaves or evergreen needles.

The main reason I use and love polls is because I have no depth perception. Being able to touch the rock ahead give me a very good clue as to how far I need to step down or up (more of an issue going down). I must say I trip far less now.

I voted "sometimes" though not very often and usually I don't even carry one. When I do use a pole it is only one as I like the other hand free for balance, grabbing rocks or trees and just taking a sip of water or a snack. (When snowshoeing I always take a pole, but again just one.)

I do feel they are worthwhile and the times I find them useful and which help determine whether or not I carry one and when I use them are:

1) in awkward places where they would be helpful in maintaining balance,
2) on extrended steep grades where they will help take loads off the knees and feet and distribute some loads from legs to shoulders (carrying only one pole I often change hands),
3) challenging stream crossings where there is unlikely to be a wooden stick nearby, and
4) on long or demanding hikes when I expect I'll be wearing down near the end.

I have a Leki pole with a top that removes to expose a bolt compatible with the tripod hole for most cameras. Now, if I carried my camera and used it more often this feature would be much appreciated but I like it just in case ... "just in case" is a good reason to carry any pole.

I like hiking with poles, they help me on the steep ascents and when decending. Definitely reduces the overall effort.

A lot of times when I don't need them (on flats) I'll just carry them until I do. There are times when they can become a hinderence, while scrambling or on very steep decents, and during these times I just let them dangle from my wrists by the loops.

They have probably saved me from falling a couple times.

You can rent a pair from EMS and see if you like them or not.

The Black Diamond w/ the lever lock work best for me

Good Luck and have fun figuring it out!