Are the blueberries ripe?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They sure as heck are ripe in Western Maine and not exclusively in full sun areas, where they ripen earliest. With all the rain, it has been a bumper crop this year!

Marty

Low bush blueberries have been good for quite some time, at least in southern Maine. High bush ones are coming around now. I'll be up in Farmington for something work related tomorrow morning, and will stock up at the blueberry festival afterwards. Good stuff.

truepatriot09 said:
Heading up to the Whites for my first hike in over a month on Sunday. Are the blueberries ready for eatin'? If so where are the hot spots?
Blueberries, black berries, red raspberries, even choke cherries (which are edible) are all ripe in the west-central 'daks.

Dang good in the hills above Jackson...agreed a bumper crop for sure...

My roomate's got a fridge full from a few hours picking...hope she bakes us a pie :)

Not in the whites, but so far I've picked five full gallons. It's been an amazing year with all the heat and rain.

I was in the Whites on Saturday and at elevations above 3K they were 50/50 ripe and unripe. They are plentiful this year and sweet.

For the record, at the cottage in NY's Southern Tier region - last week I picked red rapberries and noted that we have a bumper crop... I mean hugh crop of black-raspberries that should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Of course, it helps that we cut down crappy red pines a couple of years ago and first growth raspberry bushes have taken over... just the same - the buds that are on the bushes are unbelievably plentiful.

I heard on the radio that NY's apple crop is supposed to be the best in recent history with all the warm weather and plenty of rain.

Summer crops coming 'round - ain't life great?? :)

Low bush blueberries were a yummy treat the entire hike up Baldface Loop Tr. to South Baldface then down Baldface Knob Tr. and down Slippery Brook (no blueberries on SBT).

Some were quite large. Also, there was a couple piles of bear scat loaded with blueberries going up S. Baldface, they're no dummies! :)

Mt Chocorua and First Sister were loaded on Friday, with many not yet ripe. Also many red and black raspberries along the Champney Falls Trail. I've already seen blue and purple bear poop.

Happy Trails :)