Are we there yet?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not Yet, But VERY Soon

Today, the short flat water impoundment of the Raquette River between the Higley Flow dam and the Colton dam will definitely be ready to paddle this weekend - unless of course the weather hasn't read this post.

The impoundment of the Raquette River across the street from my house, Hannawa Flow, may or may not be ready this weekend, except for the portion towards Browns Bridge - the put in at Brown Bridge was good to go as of yesterday.

Cranberry Lake all year residents will let me know when the main body of that lake, my favorite, opens up.

Mike

I still see lots of ice on the small lakes near me, though the edges are water and melting fast!

Jay

I'll be driving through lake country next weekend on my way to Lake Placid - I'll report when I get back Tuesday.

As of today: Small lakes still seem to be frozen hard. Larger lakes vary -

• The Pond at Old Forge - mostly open
  • Browns Tract Inlet- flowing high (Raquette Lake frozen)
  • Blue Mountain Lake - FROZEN hard
  • Buttermilk Falls (Raquette River) - IMPRESSIVE VOLUME!
  • Long Lake N of the bridge - partially open
  • Long Lake S of the bridge - FROZEN
  • N. end of Raquette Lake at the carry (N.Point Rd.) - open water
  • Forked Lake - FROZEN
  • Raquette River Fishing Access (the "Crusher") near Tupper Lake: CLOSED FOR REPAIRS UNTIL JUNE 18 (no access-no parking).
  • Axton Landing - snow covered and impassable from Coreys Road
  • Raquette River (unnamed) access road past Axton: Snow-covered w/ruts, but passable w/4WD
  • Raquette River - Flowing free, high, and mighty
  • South Creek Fishing Access to Middle Saranac Lake - mostly open and likely passable, but MSL is most likely FROZEN.
  • The pond at MARCY DAM - jammed solid with ice
  • The beaver pond on the VanHoevenberg trail near the Loj - dam fine shape - high water (ice) about the same height as the wooden footbridge.
  • Stony Creek Ponds (Coreys Road) FROZEN

Last edited:
Simon Pond

and Raquette Pond were still FROZED as of this afternoon.

Been happily paddling away on the perimeter of the Park.

Got more seat time in new Rapidfire - old bones in a new boat.

Saturday broke 60 ft of thin ice to put in on Hannawa Pond: a sunny and cold day of great paddling.

Sunday all that ice was gone; steady south wind, with 30 mph gusts made it an easy choice to paddle to Browns Bridge - the Raquette is pumping and the Bag Lady's spray skirt worked well.

Next weekend it's time to start paddling kayaks - ice out on Cranberry Lake is coming!

Last edited:
Not Quite Yet

My observatuions, as of this afternoon:

1. Tupper Lake, Simon Pond and Raquette pond are not yet ice free.

2. Catamount Pond (Massawepie) was ice free, as far as I could see from Route 3.

Today's Cranberry Lake report from a Cranberry Lake village resident: "Ice is Looking very dark, but the main body of the lake is still ice covered."

80 deg Fahrenheit today at Tupper Lake and 88 deg Fahrenheit at my house in Hannawa Falls. Supposed to be WARMER tomorrow!

Mike

Any web sites that I can quickly check out about Long Lake?.....Chris has the info, just wanted to see something before we leave...thx