Attempting to salvage the long weekend in Maine on Saddleback and The Horn 7-5-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurous

Reaction score
7summits (HuiYeng) and I had been planning a 4 day peakpagging weekend in the Rangeley-Stratton area of Maine for the July 4th weekend since wintertime. We managed to recruit Juniper (Rebecca), Fat Tuesday (Mardi) and Nif (Jen) to join us.

Our plan fell to pieces when two weekends of hiking in the rain landed me in the hospital with Bronchitis, HuiYeng was coming down with something and we were faced with another dismal forecast. We postponed our departure to Friday in hopes that the forecast would improve and that we would both be feeling better…Jen decided to do the same. Rebecca, Mardi and Al (who came up for a night) braved the elements (report forthcoming from Rebecca) and went up on Thursday.

Friday came and the forecast had improved. We were both feeling better so we took our time packed up and headed up there in the afternoon…Jen left a few hours after us. We arrived at the campsite to blue skies and warm weather. We thought for sure our friends had a dry day in the mountains…we were wrong. We set up camp…in case it started to rain and then took a walk down to Tufts Pond. As soon as we reached the pond, it started to rain so we turned around and went back to the campsite. Everyone arrived soon after and so did the deluge. We quickly found out that our tent is not so waterproof…thanks Mardi for the awesome tarp that you had…it kept us dry for the rest of the weekend. I didn’t hang out long because the wet weather was agitating the bronchitis that hadn’t completely gone away yet.

We woke up to heavy rain and decided that we didn’t want to hike. Instead, we went out to breakfast and a movie followed by dinner and drinks. Once again, I still wasn’t feeling well so I curled up in my sleeping bag for awhile before Marchowes made an appearance at our campsite. I didn’t hang out long because the temp was dropping and I needed to stay warm.

Sunday came and the skies were blue. We had originally planned on doing the Bigelows but decided that we wanted a shorter hike/drive home and Saddleback and the Horn fit the bill…sorry Rebecca. Well, blue skies at the campground didn’t translate to blue skies in the mountains. We (me, HuiYeng and Jen) arrived at the ski area to find the mountain socked in with clouds. It didn’t look like it was going to rain so we decided to go for it. We started up the service road, I was having a little trouble but nothing that worried me too much. We made good time up to the ski patrol shack where we took refuge from the strong winds (35-40 mph) and 45 degree temps. At this point, I was thinking that it was probably not the best idea for me to be out in this weather but it was only a few miles so I might as well just do it…famous last words. We headed up the trail behind the shack…which happened to be blazed and made it to the ridge in a few minutes. We headed over to the summit of Saddleback and then over to the Horn. The stepping stones on the trail between the two summits were submerged under several inches of water which required some skillful treehugging to keep from getting wet feet. I was really lacking energy for the climb up the Horn. The winds were strong and I was not looking forward to hiking into them on the way back. We arrived at the summit, took a few pictures and then retraced our footsteps back to Saddleback. I struggled to get back up to the summit. The weather had wreaked havoc on my lungs and I had to stop frequently. Thanks HuiYeng and Jen for your patience and encouragement. Once again, we took refuge in the ski patrol shack, took off our wet clothes, had a snack, and talked about how awesome the views must be on a clear day. We hit the trail and quickly descended back to the cars to change into dry clothes. Despite the weather and not feeling well…it was still a fun day because of my awesome hiking companions.

One thing that I’m learning is that it’s very difficult to judge when you should decide to call off a hike. You never know how your body is going to react to the stresses that you put on it. One time it’s fine…the next time it isn’t. Giving one part of your body time to heal when the rest of your body feels fine is a tough thing to do. That said…I will be resting this week in hopes that I heal for whatever adventure is in store for next weekend (as long as it isn't raining).

Last edited:
What a bummer about the weather but you guys sure remained positive and *entertained*. :)

It was certainly tough for me to call off coming up to Maine this weekend, sure puts the ky-bosh on my NEHH finish plans but hey...that's how it goes.

Glad to read that you got one sunny hike in there and sorry to hear about your struggles. Good to listen to the body and be gentle with it, you'll have plenty of adventures to come!

IMG_8801.JPG

Hope you'll feel better soon, Kim. We have to go back on a better day, looking at Bob and Geri's pictures, we're missing out some very nice views :mad:, but still, it was a good hike, I quite like the misty and mysterious mood of the mountain, can do without the wind though. Really sorry to change our plan on you, Rebecca :eek:, glad to hear that you have a good hike too.

Pictures from the hike.

Ditto what Sabrina says, sorry to hear that the rain gods spoiled it a bit. Love your pictures anyway, very spooky! Hope you feel better soon Kim.

HuiYeng, is that triplog satellite image by crayon? :)

Jay

sorry to hear about your bronchitis kim.
glad you were able to still get out and enjoy the weather!
i havent checked out the photos yet, but i will! sure they rock!

So sorry to hear you were sick Kim :( Hope you feel better day by day and will be back on the trails very soon...those ME peaks aren't going anywhere and I'm hoping for sunny skies for you!

Thanks for the pics Huiyeng. Poured rain on Fri. and Sat. in the adks too.

what a weekend! It was so strange and bizarre to drive right into perfect weather between augusta and portland on sat.

kim, I'm impressed that you pushed through but hope you will recover fully before heading out again.

and thanks for the stoli dolis.... amazing.

It was certainly tough for me to call off coming up to Maine this weekend, sure puts the ky-bosh on my NEHH finish plans but hey...that's how it goes.

My son and I did White Cap & K. Divide on Friday. And C. Snow on Sat. Dodged alot of rain but the hikes were fun. The weather even allowed us some time to cook and eat, & spend plenty of time in front of the fire.

Your fortune: You will be rewarded for your hard work and perseverence...in bed. ;)

Jason

Way to push on Kim..and sorry so many of the hikes were socked in by "better" weather
you need to get back over there for the views...
I had a group over there in August 07 and we managed that "10"pak in beautiful weather in a 4 and a half day stretch..well maybe the sleet storm on Abe didn't count as beautiful though it was nice when we got back to the cars.. I had hoped your week would turn out as well but sadly this seems so far to be the summer of clouds....

Hey Kim, hope you heal quickly!

We did the same ridge last fourth, and had much different weather. It rained the whole week before, and most of the ride up. But not a drop for the next 4 days.

Those peaks are worth returning for, again and again for the views!

I completely agree with you on the 'when to turn back' question. I guess I have learned that the hard way, and now I listen to my body when it yells at me. :eek:

Those mountains are not going anywhere!

:)

Nice trip despite the weather!!

Such a great area up there, and definitely worth many trips back!