Banff Mtn Film Festival -NY/NJ meet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Anybody else other than the folks I know about going to the Banff Mtn Film Festival in Suffern NY (Orange County)?

I am getting tickets soon and typically meet Aaron S. (askus3) for dinner before the film.

Date and time Mar 1st, 2006, 7:30pm

It's a great theater with one screen, with balcony, curtain, side balconys and a Wurlitzer organ and also an Organist that plays it before and at intermission!

Films for this year are out!:

http://www.chestnutmtnproductions.com/banff/jerseyfilms.htm

Jay

Last edited:
The thrill is gone! Well not exactly, but my 2 year winning streak is over. I didn't win anything last night and neither did Askus3! Oh well, the films were good but I didn't see the one show usually that is like "wooooowww" like say the Jon Muir one last year. But it's still fun, and I liked it as usual. Seemed a lot more folks this year than last. I enjoyed the WW kayaking one, the TGR one, and the two guys living in France which was a difference pace to the other flicks shown, for sure!

Jay

I was there (the last row), after winning both the Miox and Pur water filters
last year I also came up empty! I agree about the selection, I was waiting for some more action or as you put it "WOOOOOWWW" films. And what was up with the two French guy's? It was like their whole life was a Tuesday...
Maybe VFTT should submit a film for next year? I'm sure Funky Freddy would love to do the background lyrics. What do think?

Bob Smith said:
Maybe VFTT should submit a film for next year? I'm sure Funky Freddy would love to do the background lyrics. What do think?

How about if I write the music and a bunch of us write the lyrics and bellow them out with a grand VFTT gathering style chorus? Think "Born to be wild" at 3AM in the rain style vocals........ We could have a jam section in the piece with Neil playing some flute and I would of course have to play some NE mountain style slide guitar :D

Any filmmakers care to volunteer for this project? I think it would most likely be a comedy, but that's yet to be determined...... :p

Sounds like fun. I'm sure we could come up with something to go along with the music. Once we have the lyrics we can figure out what the story line is.

I was there too. I saw Aaron, but he was busy linking up with someone else he knew. I looked around for you Jay, but I didn't see you.

Hey Dawn, a whole bunch of us from Aaron's ADK-North Jersey group ate at the Mason Jar beforehand so we kind of agreed to meet on the right side and towards the middle. So I met up with the two Nancys, Rich and his wife there. I saw Aaron go by but not sure where he actually found a seat. I never got up during intermission cause I was kind of reading the flyer that was handed out. I had a little LED flashlight this year cause last year the HID lights never got on when they were reading the prizes so I couldn't see my ticket numbers!

This year the Wurlitzer guy only played before the show and did a rousing rendition of the theme to "The Sound of Music". He didn't play during intermission :(

Jay

I rather enjoyed the film about the French brothers, but I was also rather puzzled at its relevance to Banff. Sheep shearing has never struck me as an adrenaline endeavor, except for the animal. Although the two did seem to be living on the edge, especially in so far as washing-up was concerned. Perhaps the film was intended to define a whole new area of challenge beyond Extreme Ironing; Extreme Housekeeping?

My personal favorite? The Balancing Rocks. My response was "Andy Goldsworthy, eat your heart out."

Sorry to have missed you, Jay, I kept an eye open, but the theater was pretty full.

Ted.

Last edited:
Well, the two french guys film was supposed part of the genre for "mountain culture"... The festival has always been a mish mash of pure adrenaline flicks and also other films dedicated to the mountain lifestyle or at least the farming aspects of it and the like.

The pure adrenalin junkies have to see the Radical Reels portion of the travelling tour, that is nothing but the skiing, mtn biking, BASE jumping, kayaking, etc. etc... but it's on a very limited schedule and only the major cities... Not sure if it goes to NYC though..

Jay