Banning Crocs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
Crocs are popular among hikers, but I guess they're not thought of fondly in Sweden _ at least not in one Swedish hospital:

¶ STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) _ A Swedish hospital wants to ban its staff from wearing Crocs plastic clogs, saying they generate static electricity that can knock out medical equipment, a spokesman said Thursday.
¶ Blekinge hospital in southern Sweden suspects the slip-on shoes made by U.S.-based Crocs Inc. are to blame for at least three incidents in which respirators and other machines malfunctioned. The mishaps caused no injuries.
¶ Hospital spokesman Bjorn Lofqvist said there were similar problems with other shoes not designed for hospital use, but the popularity of the Crocs had raised the issue to a new level.
¶ "It's been a problem for many years, but now there are so many people that have them," he said, adding officials were discussing whether the sandals should be banned throughout the hospital or just in certain sections.

I didn't know we had crocs in the NE..... are they a recent invasive species? Forget about leeches or snapping turtles, now we will all have to be more careful when swimming in the backcountry! :eek: :D

over the winter while unloading my dryer with crocs on foot, i kept getting these powerful shocks, and it was only when i was wearing my crocs that i noticed them, it was weird the shocks came from underfoot. i never put 2 and 2 together, thanks.
kmac

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Wow, I hope the hospital I work at doesn't ban them, I love wearing mine in the summer!
The cost could be destroying some of the expensive and/or life support/monitoring electronics.

Static build-up is less of a problem when the humidity is high (which is why many people only notice the static electricity in the winter).

Doug