Baxter and Hamlin Peaks via Chimney Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW !!! Nice trip report Frodo. You guys did great and it is always such fun reading about Baxter in winter . . . and dreaming about getting back there.

No sleeping on Chimney Pond this year . . . ????? :D
And no Arm in shorts on the summit ?????? :D

Nice job, guys.

sli74

oooo...Baxter in the winter....with snow and bright blue skies...like heaven!

Great trip report!

Reactions: arm
g o said:
"Now a big question - my ears were ringing, so were you talking about me? " - yeah sherpa, your name came up more than once, as did shizzy's.
So I am indeed in good company :cool: We were thinking of you folks also.

Blue said:
oooo...Baxter in the winter....with snow and bright blue skies...like heaven!
Not "like heaven"...heaven

sapblatt: If that crew wouldn't cross the Knife Edge, conditions were brutal. Pictures are always deceiving, unless they look like this, this or this
That last one was the view from my sleeping bag on our 2/05 trip.

Last edited:
How great was that ??!!!!

I can't believe it's over. I had an amazing time with the best people ever.

Best moment was summiting, of course, but second best was game night. I'm very sorry I didn't have more than the 50 mL Tequila bottle, next time I'll have a full Nalgene.

I end up with a small frostbyte on my nose. It look like a booger on the side of my nostril, pretty funny !!

MEB' your pics are great. Mine will be on my website when I'll have free time.

OH- And thanks Jeff, you actually got your feet bleeding because of me... I swear there will be no more John Travolta jokes !

Last edited:
thanks for an awesome trip ! BSP in Winter is incredible, especially hanging out with great friends

Jeff held total disregard for the "No Swimming" sign posted at Chimney Pond ... after jumping into the Pond for a NYE polar bear plunge, he later refused to jump back in for pictures
http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

ski out on dec 31 was fun ... saw two moose walking across the Roaring Brook road on the ski out

posted a few pics here
http://community.webshots.com/user/armtrips

click on the "full size" link on each pic for better pictures

posted a short video climbing up Baxter Peak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQdbItumbzw

Last edited:
spencer said:
phew, I thought it was going to be the view inside your sleeping bag.
Sorry Spencer, you have to pay extra for that shot :eek:

All kidding aside, without people like all of you, most of us that get the opportunity to experience BSP in winter would never be able to live that dream. I'll never forget those trips, and can't wait to get back there!

peak_bgr said:
I don't have a community webshot site. Still need to get one of those.

But here's one I think you can get the picture on the conditions.

That is a sweet photo!
:eek:

SherpaKroto said:
All kidding aside, without people like all of you, most of us that get the opportunity to experience BSP in winter would never be able to live that dream. I'll never forget those trips, and can't wait to get back there!

I couldn't agree more. I was the youngest and less experienced member of the team, and those guys helped me, taught me stuff, and shared their knowledge so I could keep up with the others and always feel safe.

That mountain is no joke to climb, and we all succeed because of them. THANKS !!

Knife Edge in Winter

Fine trip report and pics, especially Timmus' summit painting, and congrats to all of you! Katahdin is one of my favorite places on the planet, having spent over a half year of my life there (studying the cirques, along with rock and ice climbing). When we hiked the Knife Edge after climbing the Chimney in December 1974, there was a lot more snow than this year, but it was still really slow going, and we did not arrive at Baxter Peak until long after dark. Being out after dark, of course, infuriated the rangers at CP, so we were expelled from the Park (we were planning to leave the next day anyway). Thanks for jogging the great memories!

You guys are the real deal ;)

Awesome report and pics... cookies for everyone!

Bravo to you all. This will surely be an unforgettable group experience you will all cherish for the rest of your lifetime. Couldn't agree more that it's the people you sail the waves of life with, especially when the going gets rough, that makes all the difference in the world. "Vive la chaleur humaine de la camaraderie" as they say.

BTW does anyone know who was on that Canadian team? Réjean & I had to cancel our Dec. 2006 winter Baxter trip due to too many last minute withdrawels.

Oncoman said:
BTW does anyone know who was on that Canadian team? Réjean & I had to cancel our Dec. 2006 winter Baxter trip due to too many last minute withdrawels.

4 young Quebecers from Trois-Rivières, no peakbaggers. I spoke to them briefly, they seems to enjoy themselves despite the fact that they were sleeping in a lean-to at 0F temps...

They were well prepared, but took a bad decision going up Dudley Trail. They said there was not a lot of snow, and the rocks are covered with a thin layer of ice, not enough for crampons. They went up the same day as us, so I guess the wind made the ascent unsafe. I don't think they were going for the Knife Edge.