Bear Down!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdRiverRun

Reaction score
It looks like Bear Grylls took a fall and might be out for awhile. I somehow missed in watching shows here and there that he actually broke his back in three places and then rehabbed to climb Everest two years later. According to his blog. I got to give the guy some props for that, if you break your back in three places while parachuting then rehab and climb Everest two years later you get +1. Even if you sleep in a cozy hotel room every night along the way.

That's a bummer that he broke his back, wow.

But on the other hand, I can't stand that show. I like Survivorman much more.. For some reason, I always catch the one where he is filming himself walking thru miles of zig zagging snowmobile trails in Canada.

grouseking

never seen the show, heard the people blasting him here and there. I take train to work and read a ton and make use of the library system, so am reading his everest book now and I will say its one of the better books on everest that I have read - very descriptive of life at base camp and the hike there, the climb thru the icefall, etc..

say what you want about everest, but if you climbed it - you know how to suffer for 3 months.

whatever, the guy is making some cash doing something he likes - can't fault him for that.

British SAS guys are pretty hardcore.

Last edited:
The show is pretty cool but he has to STOP eating raw animal parts. The last show that I happened to watch he ate the liver of a yak, followed by one of its eyeballs. Is that entirely necessary? Is that ever going to be an option for the average person trying to survive?

Cool show though.

British SAS guys are pretty hardcore.

Navy Seals are MORE hardcore :D. You ever want the story of REAL suffering read "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. He was a Navy Seal assigned to operation Redwing in Afghanistan. He broke his back (literally, just like Grylls) in a firefight as well as getting the snot kicked out of him by a hand grenade, watched his fellow team mates die in the same firefight....and lived to survive till rescue after crawling a couple miles around the rugged Afghan mountains.

British....great for a accent. But ya want hardcore I'll take an American any day :D:D:D

Brian

whatever, the guy is making some cash doing something he likes - can't fault him for that.

OLD THREAD BUMP:

Just recieved a Bear Grylls Clothing Catalog in the mail. Not advertising a company's clothing line: It appeared to be his own. Looks like he's starting to consider The Back Nine.

But on the other hand, I can't stand that show. I like Survivorman much more.. For some reason, I always catch the one where he is filming himself walking thru miles of zig zagging snowmobile trails in Canada.

grouseking
Agreed. No comparison. Les is much more realistic.For us northern new england hikers,surviving in ontario is something we can relate to more then some of Bears escapades. I do hope he recovers though so he can do what he loves,which is being insane[ and a bad role model for hikers and outdoors people, imho] outside and anywhere he seems to be.How Les demonstrates finding suitable wood and finding a locale to assemble the wood and start a fire in winter is much more helpful to me then learning how to swim in caves.Just my 2 cents...Bear does have cool merch. though.....

I read he had a falling out with disney over a few issues related to potential survival situations.
Seems he contracted to do something and then decided it was too dangerous or difficult or whatever.
So they have divorced and went their separate ways.