Bear Experiences

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Bears can be just as bad..trust me never underestimate them. I learned that the hard way. -Matt L

mattl,
tell us about it! how the hard way? did one come after ya? :eek: did ya get betwixt a mama and her cubs? i seen 'em and never had a problem one time on the imp trail. :eek: :eek: what happened? :confused: :confused:

Talking to a ranger in Denali near Wonder Lake, she was saying the Black Bears are more of a problem there than the grizzlies, because the black bears are way more unpredictable in their behavior.

My friends and I saw a grizzle on the McCarthy Bar trail but it was very far away, using binoculars it was just a black speck that was grazing on berries. We saw a mother bear and a cub from the camper bus on the way there but the only bear we saw while hiking was quite far. Saw lots of Caribou though and dall sheep...

Jay

Jay H.

Isn't Wonder Lake Amazing. Like most, that was the starting point for our Denali experience.

Coming in on the camper bus (BTW the regular driver is originally a school teacher from Brighton MA) we saw a grizzly about 100 yards out. The bus stopped and this, well the only word is HUGE grizzly proceeds to strut right by the bus. The lasting impression was the size of it's claws...again HUGE.

Saw some as well from a distance (we were in the upper units). Pretty sure one went through our camp one night. The cannister was moved the next day.

I will admit to being more cautious in grizzly country than black bear...I don't know why, b/c I know black bears are just as dangerous...just one of those things I guess.

Peace.

I've had several bear experiences over the years but I get the most mileage out of this story which I have posted more than once.

I was solo hiking in the Rockies near Lake Louise, Alberta and to save elevation loss I cut off the trail, traversing a slope covered with lodgepole pine. It was a beautiful summer day and I hadn’t a care in the world. Suddenly, I heard a thundering sound that made me think I had spooked a few deer. When I looked up-slope I saw, much to my horror, an enraged grizzly charging straight at me downhill at full bore. Time froze for me right there but the grizzly kept coming on at an amazing speed.

If you try and run from a grizzly you’re guaranteed dead and the pine trees were much too skinny too climb. I’d heard of people standing and waving their arms back and forth but that seemed too provocative so I just stood my ground staring at the bear trying to show no fear. It just kept on coming straight at me so at the last possible second I dove face down on the ground out of the bear’s path. I heard myself let out a yell as I went down. Then came the worst part, I lay on the ground convinced I was about to be mauled to death as I listened to the bear slow to a stop (that took time considering the momentum it must have had) and then start back up the hill. The sounds got closer and closer and then: miracle of miracles, further and further away until finally, nothing. I got up and got the hell out of there running down the slope to the trail that cut through an open meadow about 300 vertical feet below. I was shaken up pretty good and as I hiked along, any movement at all, flowers waving in the breeze, ground squirrels darting about etc. made me jump.

I had nightmares for months after that and quit solo off-trail hiking. 5 years later my wife and I were in prime grizzly country and there were plenty of fresh signs: diggings, ripped apart logs etc. However, we were still above tree line and could see all around: no bears visible. But the trail we were on was descending and was soon to enter the forest. It was near the end of the day and the sun was getting low and I just could not go into that dark forest. So we turned around and went back up-valley to the base of the col we had scree-skied down and climbed 1500 vertical feet of treadmill scree with full packs and hiked another 8 miles back to the car. I felt like a coward but my wife was very understanding and well, I’m here to tell about it.

I have several other less dramatic stories and once testified in court in Banff about opening the back door of the kitchen to the Fairview dining room (Chateau Lake Louise) and there was Mr. (grizzly) Bear walking across the grounds with a giant box of buns in his mouth much to the tourists delight. A few weeks later the wardens had to shoot that bear and took the hotel to court for improper disposal and treatment of food and garbage. They shot the bear between the hotel and the staff residence and didn't take any chances. They must have fired 50 rounds.

True Story

Last year in King Ravine a buddy and I were spending the night out. Around 1 in the morning I woke up to the sound of some kinda of grunting (never heard anything like it before) and the sounds of heavy stepping in and around our tent. My freind of course was sound asleep. Being the good friend that I am I decided to wake in gently in the case he woke up and was freaked out. After nudging him a few times he would not wake up (mind you I was being incredibly quiet) so I finally gave him a good slam. As it turns out it was his front facing me and not his back so I landed a perfect knee right into his $crotum. Course he woke up screaming in agony which in must have scared the devil out of the poor thing b/c for the next minute I could hear that things running through the woods like a bat out of hell.

My freind has since forgiven me.

Since you mentioned other than the NE, I mentioned my Alaska sighting..

I have run into a few bears in the catskills.. One was crossing Rt 23C up by Cairo and the other was up in a tree at the trailhead at the end of Big Hollow Road... But most of my bear sightings have been in NJ, up by High Point, either in Wawayanda, the DWG, Stokes.. I've seen evidence of bears in places like Norvin Green, Ringwood, etc, but I haven't actually seen a bear there... Oh I did see a bear in Ringwood but I was on my road bike at the time just cutting through the SP on my way to Orange County....

None of the bear encounters in NJ was anywhere near as frightening as Neils! All the bears I've seen have simply hightailed it into the woods. (And then you get the requisite bear butt shot with your camera)

Jay

Good grief, Neil, what a story! I read a book on grizzly attacks and no one method of deterence works all the time. A Park Ranger told me he had a bear follow him only when he was ringing his bear bell. I saw a foot print of a grizzly in a museum. It was bigger than the length of both of my hands together. My son lives in Tahoe City CA. It is not uncommon to have bears come right into the kitchen to get food. They punch holes in beer cans and drink up. A friend was sleeping in a trailer and felt it rocking. He opened the door and looked underneath and saw two big hairy bear legs. Spent a whole summer in Glacier Park, never saw a bear. Thought I might do some tree skiing in Sqauw Valley, till I looked down from the chairlift and saw a couple of big bears. (Wasn't really going to ski in the woods, anyway.) Had a friend in Maine come up behind a bear and scare it. It spun around , stood up on its hind legs, grunted, and took off.

I completely dissagree that black bears are as bad or worse then Grizzles or Kodiaks, no way. Ive seen many black bears up close, Ive talked to them and even had a "confrontation" with one who wouldnt get out of the trail I was hiking on to let me by, ( he eventually saw it my way). I have spent all kinds of time in Yosemite, black bear heaven. I doubt with all my being anyone out here would rather meet a pissed off Griz then a humble black bear, black bears maybe mischivious but they are not dangerous (exceptions can be made of every species).

saw 6 black bear in the matter of 1 1/2 hours in shenandoah nat park this past spring. all really close,some pretty big, 1 mom with 3 cubs no more than 50 yrds away,with no threatning encounters. i spoke with a guy in denali national park who had been charged to the point of playin' dead(if you know anything about what to do when confronted by a threatning bear,it's step 10,the last step),and felt the bear steamin' up his glasses and it bit him in his arse after sniffin around some, then left!! he showed me his pants, they had holes in them!!! yikes!! i had to get out of the bus after viewin grizzlies about 1 mile back on the road!! kinda scary fer sher!! :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

While I was at Yosemite National Park a few years ago, a black bear broke into the camp store near Tuolomne Meadows. It stole boxes of Hershey bars. It also stole tooth paste. Obviously the rangers were doing a good job teaching the bears to stay healthy!

Saw a momma with two cubs (barely) by the light of my head lamp on a night hike in the Smokies in March many years ago. First I saw and heard the cubs crossing the trail ahead of me. As I frantically backed down the trail, I could see the dim shape of momma crossing after them. I made the up hill mile to the shelter with a fully loaded pack (50 lbs?) in under 10 minutes.

I've seen black bears a few other times in other places. Luckily I don't have any more exciting stories to share.

Hellgate Brook, Pemi. Mid may had too much snow a number of years back so didnt hang the bear bag. Big mistake..Had bears coming into our camp all night getting very aggressive. I have a chapter about it in my book thats coming out. Very exciting..but scary-Matt

For those interested: "Bear Attacks" by Stephen Herrero. According to him, it's not even debatable. Your chances of getting mauled by a black bear (unless you're competing for a Darwin Award by doing something breathtakingly stupid) are almost nil. Lots more black bear stories because they're all over the country, while grizzlies are present in only 4 states, so do the math. So black bears are more likely to ruin your weekend by scaring you if you see one on the trail, and stealing your food if it's not stored correctly, but as far as them coming into camp, swiping a hole in your tent, and chowing down on you...the evidence just ain't there. Black bears harass, grizzlies maul.

Mattl said:
Hellgate Brook, Pemi. Mid may had too much snow a number of years back so didnt hang the bear bag. Big mistake..Had bears coming into our camp all night getting very aggressive. I have a chapter about it in my book thats coming out. Very exciting..but scary-Matt
Matt, while failing to hang a bag or to carry a proper canister and having bear rumbling through camp makes for little sleep, it does not demonstrate aggression and it absolutely does not constitute being "attacked". Bear in your camp is expected in the Adirondacks and is nearly so common in the Catskills and along much of the AT that it is no longer news.

Chip said:
Matt, while failing to hang a bag or to carry a proper canister and having bear rumbling through camp makes for little sleep, it does not demonstrate aggression and it absolutely does not constitute being "attacked". Bear in your camp is expected in the Adirondacks and is nearly so common in the Catskills and along much of the AT that it is no longer news.

I think Matt was just relating his bear experience (the thread topic). Bears are relatively common in certain corridors in the Adirondacks (I understand less so this past summer), but certainly not expected everywhere in the Adirondacks. Matt may not have been "attacked," but the bear may or may not have been aggressive. As for aggression, it's an interesting point of definition: where does a bear's curiosity and opportunism leave off and "aggression" start?

I merely highlighted what happend. The bear(s) were never ending that night in their attemps to get to our food. We even had a fire and I had a whistle. By aggressive I mean they were growling and getting very close to us over over again. That makes me wonder what they would have done if we cornered one. -Matt L

I only had one bear exp (at least I think it wa a bear - never actually saw it) - hermit lake enclosed lean to - heard something tipping rocks outside - can't think of anything big enough besides a bear that could do that. never hostile or anything - whenever sleeping out in spring/summer always get the willies thinking about bears - stupid phobia I can't get rid off.

A bear canister is much cheaper than a hospital bill.... in my opinion it's worth having one just to get a good nights sleep.