Bear Mtn. and Mt. Bemis, July 11th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Tagged along with Rocket 21, who wanted to follow an old ski trail to the summit of Bear Mtn. He is searching old alpine ski slopes. This one was cut in the 1930's as a sister to Wildcat, and abandoned in the 1950's.

On the early morning drive I saw who I think is Kezossa, a young bull who was a new calf last year. I saw him occasionally throughout the year since he was a couple weeks old. He actually bluff-charged me one day when I was hanging with him and his mama, as if he was protecting mama. It was adorable. I saw him with his mama as recently as late April, just before his mama sent him into the world on his own.

I strongly believe this is him...

IMG_7132-copyaaa.jpg

IMG_7133aaa.jpg

Left Kezossa to meet Rocket at HOL on Bear Notch Road. He found what he thought might be the trail north of HOL and off we went. We followed this along a brook through nice hardwoods for a while then turned south/uphill along what we suspect was the old trailbed. Rocket was talking about how the trail should have double fall lines, consistent with how trails were cut back then, following terrain. Now they are made more like roads, nice and level. We traded plenty of well-natured snowboarder-vs.-skier jabbs.

These slopes have lots of beech with lots of bear sign, such as claw marks on many of the beech trunks...

IMG_2053aaa.jpg

I've recently been hiking with others after being exclusively solo in the forest for years. Woud it be bad form to request a group to stop and sit in silence for a half hour when I find a special little place such as this?

IMG_2064aaa.jpg

It got me thinking about the virtue of individualism and what is lost or impossible when conforming with a collective group. On the other hand, humans desire company. A mix is good.

We were in hardwoods until about the last few hundred feet. Rocket keeps insisting I'm a more experienced bushwacker while I keep insisting that I've sought out a trailess peak maybe twice, otherwise I'm always going downhill and looking for birch/hobblebush glades. WDYK, I was leading and we popped out on a herd path right at the summit.

Lots of fine views through the trees...

IMG_2060aaa.jpg

Then we went straight back down, ignoring all kinds of wonderful hardwood glades that were begging to be explored as if the goal was to get back out of the forest. Actually we were still looking for the ski trail and we think we were on it for much of the way. I thought this was like racing through a fine meal of sirloin and cabernet...whatever.

We were at the road with half the day left and Rocket wanted to hike Mt. Bemis. He said there were nice views. I recalled that the group we met on Vose Sour said are no views on Bemis but there are nice views from Mt. Nancy. Now, going by the map I've always wanted to see the view from Mt. Bemis up the Dry River Valley so I went along for another hike. Two different hikes on the same day is more unfamiliar territory for me. We passed by all the beautiful forest on Bear Mtn. and now we were going up another one when we just on a perfectly nice one already...peakbagggers:rolleyes:

So up the fire warden's trail we go for the views promised by Rocket. The trail would be an excellent addition to the network because the trail grade and footing is just superb.

The trail reaches a shoulder where there's a stretch that's thick blowdown and laurel...

IMG_2080aaa.jpg

The trail leads over the shoulder where the vegatation, featuring lots of laurel now in bloom, is waiste deep, affording beatiful views in almost all directions...

IMG_2100aaa.jpg

We could see the summit and it didn't look promising for views...and it isn't. The remains of the tower are not at the summit, but you can see that it had stunning views. If the skies were drier I would have climbed a tree for the view. I declined to push the distance through thick blowdown over to the summit so I waited while Rocket went and did his peakbagging thing.

Thanks very much to Rocket for a great day of hiking :) Saw a nice bull moose on the drive home along the Kanacamagus...

IMG_7167aaa.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
It is so nice to see your reports again forestgnome. The pics of the young bull were stunning! I love how you describe the bluff charge as "adorable." :) Made me chuckle.

As usual, spectacular pictures all around, and keep posting!!

Forestgnome, it's a pleasure, as always, to read your reports and see your wonderful photographs. Also good to know that you are now hiking with others. I hope to have the honor of sharing a trail with you someday. :)

Patrick . . . very nice report and photos of your off-trail adventures with Rocket21! Speaking of photos, I think the one that was taken during your ascent to Bemis is from that location sometimes referred to as Bemis Meadow. Regardless, as you said, that spot does indeed provide "beautiful views in almost all directions . . ."

You only made a passing reference to the area on that old trail that is thick with blowdowns. It's been at least 2 years since I've been on that trail, but I recall them being "chain-saw" size blowdowns that you literally had to crawl under. I assume they are still there?

Thanks to Grouseking, Trish and Happy!

John, thanks for the info...Bemis Meadows is a great name for it. Yes, you have to go over/under about a dozen blowdowns total...not too bad.

happy trails :)

Patrick,
Thanks for sharing your photos and the perspective you have on the woods! Exceptional photos as always, but nice to hear that you are sharing the trail with others as well. Its good to have some folks out there that want to pace themselves in order to enjoy the path! You may have to weigh Jeremy down for that one, he usually appears to have had too much caffeine!:p I find that if I want a pace that is less than 2-3 mph I tend to do it alone. Lately I am helping my daughter complete the peakbaggers list but long for some exploring adventures with her soon after!

It will be more likely that we adopt some of your practices on the path then vice versa. In answer to your question, most every hike would have some gain to spend a quiet time in a peaceful area and let the woods settle down and be itself for a bit. Not that curious creatures are going to visit a large group of hikers but maybe worth it to sit back and take it in!

Who names the moose like Kezossa and how do we find out more of this? Nice to see him looking so healthy! Happy trails and thank you!;)