Bear proof cannister

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had one of the Garcia canisters for years and the design is excellent. It works well as witnessed by the canine teeth marks all around the periphery of the lid. I used it as a cache one trip and left it for 4 days before it was retrieved during mid trip to resupply and it had been worked over pretty thoroughly by something with a large set of teeth. I don't know for sure if it was a bear but it wouldn't suprise me looking at the marks. It wasn't even close to getting in and everything was fine inside. I don't know if I can post a photo or if there is enough contrast to make the marks out with a photo but, it is actually a pretty cool trophy. :cool:

As far as the design goes it's not just the two nubs but also the shape and size is made so that they cannot get it into their mouths to either carry it away or use their tremendous jaw power to crack it.

I use the canister whenever I go to an area that I won't be able to use a good bear bag system.

The thing is heavy, bulky, and very unpleasant to travel with. :mad:

On the upside, it works great and I never have to worry about my food when it is in use. :D

As with most things in life, there are trade offs to be made.

Keith

Chip said:
After reviewing what is offered and the prices ...

I think they can be rented at Heart Lake. Probably other places will start renting them too, if they are required, such as The Mountaineer.

EMS rents the Bear Vault, The Loj rents the Backpacker's Cache Garcia model, don't know what the Mountaineer rents, but I'm pretty sure they do.

It would seem that the Bear Vault is definitely preferable to the other two common brands out there, yes?

Yes, definitely. I have rented the Backpacker's Cache model when they were available from EMS and, compared to my Bear Vault, I didn't like it at all. Without disparaging the Garcia, I'll say that I love the wide opening, strap guides, clear body, lighter weight and tool-less opening of the BV. Very cool. I can fit my cooking gear, food, and toiletries in mine with room to spare on a 3-4 day trip.

i have the Bear Vault model. i havent had a chance to use it but am planning a high peaks trip where it will be required, but i have a hard enough time opening it and i have thumbs. it really only adds a little over 2 pounds, but a quarentee that no food will be lost, i think its worth the sacrifice and its not like you have to pack it serparate from your gear. everything that would normally go in it at night can go in it in your pack.

jbrown - you said that it can fit your cooking gear too? does a 1.5 liter pot fit in it? i would try for myself but its at home and i'm in college.

Tramper Al said:
I'm afraid I don't 'get' your question. If a 2-3 lb container is all it takes to put your pack weight over 60 lbs, then is not the horse is already out of the barn?

Okay, that's funny. Perhaps I should ask separately about pack lists, but I've definitely had difficulty getting weight down. And, as we measure such things in ounces & grams, two+ pounds seems significant. Which is to say nothing of its worth in a bear-heavy environment.

Anyway, my point was to ask how many such things one can add before weight & size become, umm, onerous. And nevermind, y'all answered nicely.

Cheers!

I can’t seem to fit the bear into the canister. How does every else manage to do it?
Well, the canister must be under vacuum first, score the top so it's easier for the bear to crack. Once he breaks the seal...THHHHHUUP!! Bear gets sucked in. It's not rocket science.

In reference to the onerus weight of all things in general. I was once mystified by the prospect of hiking with less than 60 lbs of gear for even a 4 day hike. My weight is down to about 20-25 lbs with canister because I was very conscious of what things I really used and what they weighed. Just start asking yourself what's necessary and what's taking up valuable space, then start to lighten up with different gear for the same job. Check out www.backpacking.net for the philosophy and the how-to of lightening your load.

In the meantime. GET A BEAR VAULT! (or an Ursack...)

I also use the Bear Vault. It's nice to have a clear canister so you can see what's in it. Last summer I camped at Avalanche camp for two nights, right past Marcy Dam. On the first night the canister was only 10 feet from our tent and we had two bears come and kick it around at 3AM. I clapped my hands and they left. Next night we put it much further away, just make sure you lay some rocks around it and sticks to prevent bears from kicking it far away.

Josh

I have seen some larger bear canisters while canoeing in Algonquin and Quetico. A couple different models, one from some company in Ontario the other from Quebec -- unfortunately I don't remember the exact mfr names. They both were 2-3 times larger than the Garcia canister and seemed very secure. Probably something more appropriate for canoeing than backpacking but definitely an option for a larger group.

jbrown said:
In the meantime. GET A BEAR VAULT! (or an Ursack...)

The Ursack seems to be out of stock everywhere, they are even listed in Ebay under "wanted" :eek:

The Bear Vault type products will soon be default equipment throughout the Northeast, regardless of regulations.

Chip said:
The Ursack seems to be out of stock everywhere, they are even listed in Ebay under "wanted" :eek:

The Bear Vault type products will soon be default equipment throughout the Northeast, regardless of regulations.

It’s my understanding that the Kevlar that is used for the Ursacks is being used by the military for body armor.

lumberzac said:
It’s my understanding that the Kevlar that is used for the Ursacks is being used by the military for body armor.

Somewhere I remember reading that bears can defeat the Ursack.

Bears have defeated the Ursack according to Park officials out West and tests done on the bag. I have had great luck with mine so far, beyond crushed food BUT have only used it extensively in the NorthEast and for trash and non-food smelly stuff out West.

sli74

rhihn said:
Somewhere I remember reading that bears can defeat the Ursack.

I SAW one that a bear had ripped open. At Lake Colden. The owner made the mistake of tieing it to a tree, which gave the bear a nice 'vice' to hold it while he worked on it.

Also, bears are said to chew on them, and suck the juices out. Dave M had a tale about what this reminded him of.

rdl said:
I have seen some larger bear canisters while canoeing in Algonquin and Quetico.
Are you refering to blue barrels? These are quite popular for canoeing being waterproof, and they are claimed to be effective against bears. I'm not sure if they have been certified as bear resitant. I've never tried one so I am not sure how comfortable they are for backpacking, versus just getting your stuff across a portage.

There are harness systems out there for turning them into backpacks.
See here and here.

Tony

I've seen a couple of the blue barrels while canoeing, I've also seen something smaller than the blue barrel but bigger than a Garcia cannister. Wish I could remember the brand...

try before you buy

consider renting a Garcia or BearVault before buying one, they run about $5 a day

BearVault looks like the lid could have issues once it gets worn in, difficult to open and/or lock down ... Garcia lid has two screws which lock the lid in place ... easy to unscrew each one if you have a knife or dime, and it looks like the lid will never have issues

BearVault is a $70 nalgene bottle ... if you need to see what you packed, because you forgot what you put in the bottle yesterday, i'm guessing that you put food in there (going out on a limb here...)

BearVault weights 2lb 6oz, Garcia weighs 2lb 7oz

http://www.wildernessdining.com/bearcontainers.html

arm said:
BearVault weights 2lb 6oz, Garcia weighs 2lb 7oz
http://www.wildernessdining.com/bearcontainers.html
Arm, it sound like you definitely prefer the Garcia on the grounds of lifetime durability, yes? I think your weight quote (with them looking essentially equal) is off a bit, though. The Garcia is listed on that and other sites at 2 point 7 lbs, which is more like 2 lbs 11 oz. But who's counting ounces, right?