Beginning winter hiking - which trails to start out on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a family, we are still working on our winter strategies; for us it has been all about finding the right layering strategy, more lighter layers is better for us. We have done a few outings a year. To match with your ME location and your "off the beaten path" preference, we enjoyed the following as entry level winter trips: Puzzle Mt (I know that you were just there so route finding shouldn't be an issue) Caribou MT from Pooh Corner Farm (Bog Brook rd in Gilead ME) and Albany MT from Birch ave in Lovell, ME. These will be less likely to be broken out, but they are all fairly sheltered lower elevation mountains. But, they all have open summits. So, if it has been a while since the most recent snow, you shouldn't have to struggle too much with trail breaking. I would also throw Speckled MT out as a suggestion but I haven't been there in the winter. Again, a lower elev hike with open areas on the approach & the summit. This can be accessed from the old Evergreen Valley ski area (in Lovell), just above the condos on the Evergreen Link Trail. All of the above were handled with no more than a good map and paying attention to the blazing. Of, course, we had a compass & gps as back ups.

Sorry to hear your leg is out of sorts Doug, I hope that heals up before too long.

I'm going to probably alienate everyone and lose a ton of respect for saying this but in all my years of hiking, trail running, etc., I've never used compass, altimeter, or GPS. Do I need to use these things?? In other seasons, I just use a map and am keen to blazes/cairns/other markings. And I use as much brain as I can cobble together...! I haven't gotten into bushwhacks yet so figured I'd be fine as long as I stay on a trail. So far, so good.

Not being able to see said blazes/markings is exactly what I'm most concerned about, though. Am I being naive not using compass/altimeter/GPS? I'm interested in learning either way but I would rather learn from a more experienced friend (maybe a VFTTer...) or online than take a cla$$. And, I really want to hike this weekend so, this assortment of tools will have to fall in to place a little later...!

Mike P, thanks for the anecdote about N. Twin and snow depth... hadn't thought to consider that this might be a factor in shelter! Never heard of those non-Whites ones you mentioned but I appreciate them; I'll be traveling a bit in the next few weeks and may be in the Northampton MA area with some free time, so might well be looking for something to do in that area.

Doug, I don't have a WFA/similar certification yet, but I've been dabbling in guiding in the past few years enough that I'll be getting one before the summer season comes around again. I agree it's probably not a bad idea.

Thanks, again and again... really interesting answers from everyone.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your leg is out of sorts Doug, I hope that heals up before too long.
Thanks. This is leftover fallout from a broken femur and hip 6 years ago. There are several old threads discussing it: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?15911-Doug-Paul-injured-in-a-back-country-ski-accident (I think I chime in around post #95), http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?15891-Ooh-that-looks-painful-Can-you-walk-on-it, and http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=176735. I seem to be in a perpetual state of rehab and the leg's condition (and my fitness...) goes up and down. (I have managed to get in 2 half days of XC skiing this week.)

I'm going to probably alienate everyone and lost a ton of respect for saying this but in all my years of hiking, trail running, etc., I've never used compass, altimeter, or GPS. Do I need to use these things?? In other seasons, I just use a map and am keen to blazes/cairns/other markings. And I use as much brain as I can cobble together...! I haven't gotten into bushwhacks yet so figured I'd be fine as long as I stay on a trail. So far, so good.

Not being able to see said blazes/markings is exactly what I'm most concerned about, though. Am I being naive not using compass/altimeter/GPS? I'm interested in learning either way but I would rather learn from a more experienced friend (maybe a VFTTer...) or online than take a cla$$. And, I really want to hike this weekend so, this assortment of tools will have to fall in to place a little later...!
I suggest that you learn to use them. Many of the markings that you rely on in summer are often gone in winter. One often ends up effectively bushwhacking along, near, or (hopefully) back to the trail.

Doug, I don't have a WFA/similar certification yet, but I've been dabbling in guiding in the past few years enough that I'll be getting one before the summer season comes around again. I agree it's probably not a bad idea.
When I had my accident I was solo. Fortunately someone came along in 5 or so minutes and I essentially presided over my own accident scene. (My cellphone worked from the accident site--I would have been ok without help but it was much faster and easier with.) My 30-year old training worked...

Doug

Last edited:
I'm going to probably alienate everyone and lose a ton of respect for saying this but in all my years of hiking, trail running, etc., I've never used compass, altimeter, or GPS. Do I need to use these things?? In other seasons, I just use a map and am keen to blazes/cairns/other markings.
It is much harder to find blazes, cairns, etc. in winter than in summer and the scuffed footway isn't visible. On the other hand, you may follow tracks so you don't need any other aids, and unless the wind is howling you can follow your own tracks back which you can't in summer :)

I agree with DP that you would be better advised to learn to use the above items which unfortunately is better done in summer when your fingers don't get cold and your glasses don't steam up, having them may reduce your bill from F&G if nothing else :)

Holy smokes, reading about it now. Sounds pretty intense. The world is a better place when there are Andys. And when there are awesome communities surrounding those who've, ie, rapidly encountered brokenness. Those are some serious injuries for sure, and what a drag, though not surprising, that things are still not 100%.

I actually think it's a great idea to have an injury forum, as you suggested several years back on the injury thread.... We all, unfortunately, collectively, probably have way too much knowledge/insight/support to share.

Oh I'll definitely learn -- just never had Needed to in the past and thus hadn't prioritized it.

And, whereas I will likely hike in winter before I have a chance to learn, the advice I was seeking on this thread was pertaining to this particular situation.

(If anyone thinks I am a careless idiot at this point, well, that's something I want to know as well....!)

Did anyone say Mt. Major in Alton, NH? Three miles RT with about 900 in ele gain. The views are stunning. The main trail will almost always be broken out and the trail is wide and easy to follow. It's less popular in winter, not super crowded but I've only gone once and not seen a single person (started at 3am and finished just after sunrise but even at that time there was a car in the lot) and I've been up there a few times in winter and tens of times in other seasons. So your chances of getting caught out alone are really slim. I actually think there is a guy who hikes it almost every day (and maintains the trails too). There are ledges that can by icy near the top, but they are not exposed. If you're looking to acquire specific experience with a little bit of ice, I'd say it's a good starting point. The Brook trail is not icy or ledgy if you are looking for an alternative that stays in the woods (also an extra mile longer).

I may be a bit biased here as it was my first winter peak. ;)

I concur with Pierce via Crawford. It was my wife's first winter hike and first 4,000'er. Twenty-six 4,000'ers later she still lists it as her most memorable hike.

I agree with others that you should have at a bare minimum the map and compass and skill set to use them. More chance of whiteouts in winter that can make it difficult to backtrack if you don't have a compass. I have liked having an analog altimeter too to give you either an elevation reference or change in the weather. If its trending to where it tells you that you are higher than you are by known reference its letting you know a low pressure zone is approaching. As an altimeter it can keep you from drifting down if you get off trail. As far as Pierce goes, I can agree with Mike P. that it depends on the conditions. My first time up was winter during a bad storm and a fellow from Boston came down as I was approaching treeline. He was scared out of his wits from having lost his way and got off trail. He cautioned me before I went up but I had much less trouble staying on track. The reason was that he was on snowshoes and could not feel the pack under the drifts. I was in double plastic boots and well equipped for the negative digits and the wind and if I stepped off trail I would sink to my hip. Its a learning curve but all rewarding as you find what you prefer and how to deal with the elements. I started with much more gear than I needed in the beginning but that also helped in surviving near disasters. I would also suggest that regardless of whether you plan to overnight you may wish to invest in a safety bivy of some sort for day trips. I carry a Thermolite bivy and never go without it. Even if I am backpacking I have figured its light enough to carry in the event that I can hand it to someone else in need on the trail! Have fun!

Again thanks for the excellent advice. Great idea to carry a bivy. Will make compass stuff a priority and sounds like an altimeter would be really useful too. Any advice on inexpensive, functional ones to shop for? Are you sick of my questions yet? :eek:

Again thanks for the excellent advice. Great idea to carry a bivy.
Many of us carry enough gear to be able to survive the night if we become immobilized for some reason. For instance, I had every thing needed to stabilize me at my accident site until the evac crew arrived. Key items were a heavy down jacket, a closed-cell foam pad* to sit on, and a bivy (used as a windbreak).

* Full length is best so one can lie down, if need be.

There are a bunch of prior threads on this topic.

Doug

The jacket and pad are already in my pack. :) I usually carry a sleeping bag too. I hike alone regularly and thus tend to overpack as a safety measure...

I do have a little light/flimsy emergency bivy, if it can be called that, that I've never even taken out of its package but I assume it's a lot lighter that the one you mention. Pretty sure it isn't meant as winter thing. Should probably do more research here too...

The thermolite bivy I carry is like the one that Scott Mason used when he got down in Great Gulf. Have not had to test it but it is probably considered a midrange emergency bivy. Where a Walmart space blanket would be on the low end and previous threads had mentioned ones on the highend. If I recall there was a recent thread where Kevin Rooney or someone had mentioned a higher quality emergency bivy that looked interesting. Many of us never get sick of questions. No one ever has all the answers or all the experiences but everyone of us has the ability to contribute to the community. Thanks for asking so that discussions like this come back around and others that are new to the experience gain as well. In answering questions we also get to review our own methods and if they are still valid for what and how we do this. Our own abilities can change and not always for the better. Life can throw you handicaps and its how you adjust that affects your success in continuing the goals!

Be careful on Crawford path/ Pierce. I know of a fella hiker thru a friend who had quite the fiasco up there. They were all experienced hikers and he left the group to head down because he just wanted out. On his way back, in a whiteout, he lost the trail and followed a river. He wound up in the river and one foot became encased in a block of ice. That was as far as he got. Another "team" member also aborted the climb and and wandered off the trail becoming lost in the same area. He ran into hiker "1" and followed the river back to notify the AMC who called a rescue. Hiker "1" was hospitalized for a very long time because of severe frostbite requiring some amputations and/or grafts. I heard they had to saw through the ice to get his leg out of there.
It was a while back. After hearing this I acquired a brand new respect for that area that which I had always believed to be fairly benign.
The whiteout certainly did cause them lost of trouble.

My friend and I took a wrong turn going down from Mizpah and got onto Webster Cliff . The AMC told me that lots of people make this same mistake.
I imagine in a whiteout it would be really easy to mess up in that section. I blew out my knee and had to go back up. That a story for another day.

I think especially in winter especially one cannot afford to get distracted. You need to stay very focused.

Steep is good, I may be slow but I'm tough, I promise. It'd give me a chance to get familiar with the heel lifts on my snowshoes.....except I don't really like hiking near ski areas. :) But thank you for the concern, Kevin.

And thanks Brambor, I'll check that out...!

Tim - mostly I agree with your list except for Cannon - the top section, as it begins to wander around the summit cone, can be really dicey in low-vis conditions. Plus, it's ungodly steep. It's a quick ascent for the experienced peakbagger, but I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie. There's really no easy way up Cannon.
I usually did Cannon via the Hi-Cannon Trail. Protected, no DH skiers. However, the ladders might be amusing and there is a short spot where you walk along a narrow rock ledge above a nasty drop.

Or you could try the Kinsman Ridge Trail from Coppermine Col if you would like to try technical (ie very steep) snowshoeing.

Doug

Holy smokes, $35 vs. $330 for Brambors vs the Thommen that you linked to Doug...! If I can get away with the cheap one, for now at least, I'll have to. I've a fabulous wealth of friendship and love and all that, but money, not so much. Don't laugh, being po' is just one choice of many; we all make sacrifices in certain areas to live in certain ways of our choosing...!

Will store info on Hi Cannon and KRT via Coppermine for the future. Both sound engaging!

Last edited: