Beginning winter hiking - which trails to start out on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful on Crawford path/ Pierce. I know of a fella hiker thru a friend who had quite the fiasco up there. ... Hiker "1" was hospitalized for a very long time because of severe frostbite requiring some amputations and/or grafts.
I also know these people, but I thought the place they got lost was beyond Pierce toward Eisenhower.

One thing to remember about Pierce is that because the Crawford Path joins the ridge beyond the summit, the first part of the trail going down is sidehill instead of normal descent and coming down in the dark one time I wound up on some tracks that had missed the turn and headed down - fortunately another group member caught this.

And as for recognizing the trail near the junction, I was up there one day when Brad Washburn was measuring the trail with a tape which is easier to pull in winter. Just before the junction, there were tracks around both sides of a clump of spruce and no way to tell which was the official trail. There couldn't have been more than a couple feet difference in the distance but he decided to come back another time to be sure to get the true distance.

I am inexplicably not a fan of Cannon but appreciate the discussion regardless. And was just at Lonesome Lake last month, in early snow (no snowshoes required), so prob want to diversify. Still fixated a bit on the Carter Notch area idea. We'll see.
Cannon is a nice mountain.

I have never done the KRT from the N and the more I hear about it, the less I want to. Both of the routes from the S keep you away from human development and, IMO, are quite nice. There are nice views from the summit platform.

Doug

I think you can stick with the cheap Altimeter, or if you already have a smart phone, get an APP that does GPS functions, like Back Country Navigator (which is very cheap, comparatively, and has worked well for me so far). As long as you calibrate your device when you start, and check it regularly for accuracy against the map, or other factors (see below), you should be good to go.
Back when I was looking at altimeters, the cheap ones were inaccurate (ie junk). Hopefully the newer ones are better.

GPS altimeters are typically +-30 or so feet under ideal conditions, +- 100 feet may be more typical in some mountain locations. GPS calibrated barometric altimeters (found in some of the better GPSes) can be +-10 feet.

Thrommens are rated +-30 feet.

Doug

I have never done the KRT from the N and the more I hear about it, the less I want to.

One big win that you get on the north side, however, is the side spur to the open ledges above the Cliffs. While lower than the summit, you are much closer to Franconia Ridge. It's directly in front of you, on a clear day it's like you could reach out and touch it.

There is a lot of good advice in here, but really what you need to start winter hiking is common sense. That alone will avoid many winter problems.

If you're paying attention to any of this side banter on altimeters, you're doing it wrong.

An excellent, though somewhat long, winter snowshoe hike is Old Speck in Grafton Notch, Maine.

On the other side of the road, West Baldpate is also excellent, though maybe a bit steeper. (Don't try continuing on to East Baldpate though unless you're ready to deal with all the considerations of steep, above-treeline terrain.)

Have fun!

Lots of good suggestions herein for routes, etc. I think this most recent post that suggests "...what you need...is common sense" is the best advice. (I personally have a soft spot in my heart for Pierce and it is my favorite winter destination.)

What I did to get into winter hiking was hike the same trail over and over again. That helped me b/c I got to know the trail so I had peace of mind as far as route finding and was then able to focus on my comfort, clothing and/or gear adjustments, weather conditions, snow and ice underfoot and traction issues, hydration, fuel (both for my stove and for my body).

Just get out there and do it...and don't always hike on the bluebird sky days - there's so much to experience in any weather.

Good luck. Be safe. ~ Kathy

In the Carter Notch area, the Imp Trail loop (car spot or short road walk .3) to the North Carter jct. is always a favorite of many...about 7 miles or so...has flat areas, water crossing(s) usually frozen, steepness, and a great view from the Imp Face itself...sometimes the section from Imp Face over to N Carter may not be broken out however...if you are doing well you can continue up to Carter Moriah Trail and tag Middle Carter (and Mt. Lethe too!!)...Mt. Surprise leading to Mt. Moriah is also a nice day hike, along with Pine Mt. (road walk to trailhead from Promenade St. Gorham) but sometimes not broken out, and the Mt. Crescent area (Lookout Ledge is a fun easy one) in Randolph..Mt. Hayes (to view point) via the Mahoosuc Trail from the railroad trestle on Rt. 16 in Gorham is another good one.....up in this area fellow hikers use these hikes a few times a year to get in shape for the season....

Last edited:
Here's one that I don't believe was suggested earlier:

E. Osceola...

You are under tree cover for most of the way, it's short, has some decent steepness to it so you can use some gear (snowshoes/crampons/micro-spikes) and you could combine it with Osceola for a back & out of 7.6.

Isn't Greeley Ponds trail closed? Also, there's a slide that I've heard can be dangerous on E. Osceola. I haven't approached from that side but maybe it might not be best to involve a side-hilling rock slide in a first snowshoe trip.

Lots of great ideas! I am far from an experienced winter hiker, but I have dabbled in the easy, and more difficult treks. Here is what I have learned on the higer peaks.

1) Mt Pierce: My first winter 4K. Crawford Path is nice and usually broken out. Just be careful if there is a blizzard with strong winds. It is easy to go the wrong way when heading back to the Crawford Path after summiting.

2) Tecumseh: My 2nd winter 4K..Keep an eye on skiers! Sometimes they will use the hiking trail instead, and you need to get the heck out of the way in a split seconds notice. There is a thread about my experience somewhere.

3) Lafayette-Don't try to break trail if you aren't ready for it. A few friends and myself tried the Laf via Skookumchuck and then lost the trail easily. Also-the Old Bridle Path is a great trek up to the hut. There are some steep spots (esp the agonies) but its a gorgeous trail up to the hut. After that things can get dicey, and WATCH OUT for spruce traps! Learned that one the hard way....ooh, and make sure you always stay together.

4)Moosilauke-Glencliff is a great trail to follow because you are protected, UNTIL treeline. Then it can get dicey. I had to turn around less than 1/4 mile from the summit due to near zero visib, and 50+ mph winds (I have an anemometer to prove this) While I havent done it in winter, I think Gorge Brook Tr is a better idea because you are protected from the NW winds till pretty much the summit. Just know that you will have about a 1.6 mi roadwalk each way.

5) Carter Dome...I failed this one miserably because I wanted to hit up the hut first and then go up the super steep AT to the summit. Bad idea...go the opposite way. My snowshoes were not gripping and I was sliding more than climbing, which is incredibly demoralizing, and not worth the struggle.

Also, while you may be in the woods most of the way, zero degrees is still zero degrees...COLD. Dress appropriately. Plus, when it gets that cold, it can be difficult to breathe. Finally, make sure you stay hydrated, and properly nourished. It is very easy to fail at this because you don't think you are thirty because you might not sweat as much in winter. But really, you still might be dehydrated.

Now to the positive: I've learned about my limits over the years, and I now know what I am comfortable with doing. Plus, I consider winter to be the most gorgeous time of year to hike. The air is clean and clear and visibility can be 100 miles or more on the higher peaks. There are no bugs and few if any rocks to get in your way. People I've met on trail in the winter tend to be much happer, and friendlier, and helpful than in summer. I think that is because they tend to be more experienced than some of the weekend hikers you meet during the warmer months.

Those are my experiences. :)

I also know these people, but I thought the place they got lost was beyond Pierce toward Eisenhower.

One thing to remember about Pierce is that because the Crawford Path joins the ridge beyond the summit, the first part of the trail going down is sidehill instead of normal descent and coming down in the dark one time I wound up on some tracks that had missed the turn and headed down - fortunately another group member caught this.

And as for recognizing the trail near the junction, I was up there one day when Brad Washburn was measuring the trail with a tape which is easier to pull in winter. Just before the junction, there were tracks around both sides of a clump of spruce and no way to tell which was the official trail. There couldn't have been more than a couple feet difference in the distance but he decided to come back another time to be sure to get the true distance.

It very well could have been beyond Pierce and toward Eisenhower. You are in a better position to know this if you are acquainted with them personally. I had second hand info and something could have easily been lost or added in the translation. I was not given an exact bearing of where he was when he went off trail. I was trying to make point about how easily one can be lost in a whiteout, not give directions to SAR as to where he might be found.

Another peak I love in winter is Mt Cardigan. It's not talked about much but it is a great mountain.

It is, but not the entire length of it. It's open to the jct with the trail leading up to East Osceola, and a bit beyond.

As for doing the Osceola's as a beginner hike - no way! It's very steep up to East Osceola, and then there's the chimney to navigate between the two peaks. Four of us did it recently, and used a short length of 5mm to assist in the chimney downclimb. Not essential, but allowed us to descend much more quickly, with a bit more margin of safety. Was glad to have those peaks under our proverbial belts for the winter.

I tend to disagree with you Kevin that E. Oseola is not doable for as a beginner (someone with Unstrung's mountaineering experience) since I did this with my 13 y/o son years back. I agree that the chimney is a bit more of a stretch if you continued on to Osceola but the bypass is doable. My point being that this hike is not extremely long and Unstrung Harp is not fearful of steepness and has mountaineering experience thus this is a short, yet steeper climb than others suggested. It also appears that it fits her request of a well marked trail with the exception of above treeline.

Anyone have advice on which trails are best for beginner winter hikers in terms of being easy to follow? I am assuming most popular ones generally will have a well defined track by the time I get to them. I don't *intend* to be out in poor or iffy weather, but of course, the Whites are the Whites. Just want to maximize my chances of being in a well-marked place.

Strenuous/difficult terrain is definitely okay, and awesome views are of course preferred! I'll have a buddy with me and we've both had some mountaineering experience elsewhere, him more than me. Not looking to do anything too extreme at this point - not until I am better acquainted with my gear - but possibly getting up above tree line would rock...

Having said all of this, this hike amongst many are great choices however's one's ability as a beginner in all reality varies.

Just my thought

Unstrung Harp, I offered the advice that a compass and a map should be a minimum and that I like an analog altimeter for elevation reference. In summer you can get fogged in but in winter whiteouts can come on quickly and leave you without a reference of where you are especially if you have continued to move with low visibility. Your compass will tell you which way you are heading but not a reference of where you are. This simple tool is not "side banter" nor is it necessary in fair weather if conditions stay that way. It can be handy for reference as is the map. It can be more vital in a whiteout to keep from dropping down into a drainage you do not intend to. Some would say your best way out is downhill. I say not necessarily. Many times people have ended up down in the Dry River unintentionally. Proper use of the map and compass and keeping a bearing regardless of strong winds would have prevented the fate of their journeys. An altimeter is a good quick tool to also help prevent this. Winter conditions can make regaining elevation much more difficult. Wise for you to realize many threads become armchair debates on forums but wiser to realize what you want for skills, tools and your hiking experience because you are the one who will benefit on the trail and the armchairs will still be right where they are.

Liberty is an excellent winter hike for someone that wants to enjoy a strenuous but not intimidating hike. The trail is usually packed well enough to not need anything but some traction. The route is mostly below treeline but very rewarding when you get up on the ridge. Flume can be added without a lot of work but often requires snowshoes due to being less traveled. I like to park at the basin northbound lot and use the short bushwhack that cuts to the first corner of the trail. I believe this has been mentioned in the white mountain guide. If not familiar with it just watch for it on the left as you go south from the basin northbound lot.

And as others have said, Pierce gets my vote with Ike added in. Pick a very nice day and you will never regret it! I have found we often get some very beautiful opportunities in early March. A bonus of Canadian Jays at the intersection of the Mizpah Cutoff if that's something you like! Happy trails and winter experience!

One big win that you get on the north side, however, is the side spur to the open ledges above the Cliffs. While lower than the summit, you are much closer to Franconia Ridge. It's directly in front of you, on a clear day it's like you could reach out and touch it.
If you are referring to the loop trail that goes above the cliff, I have hiked it--it has some nice views. However, I ascended KRT from the S and descended Hi-Cannon. I also stood on top of the Old Man, ~1980.* (It was a tottering heap--it's a wonder that it stayed up as long as it did.)

* I was climbing one of the rock climbing routes that exit up the inside corner just to the left of the Old Man.

Doug

And as others have said, Pierce gets my vote with Ike added in. Pick a very nice day and you will never regret it! I have found we often get some very beautiful opportunities in early March. A bonus of Canadian Jays at the intersection of the Mizpah Cutoff if that's something you like! Happy trails and winter experience!
One hazard with going over to Ike is that there is a spot in between where very deep snow drifts can accumulate. People have fallen in spruce traps that are over their heads here.

Doug

Unstrung Harp, I offered the advice that a compass and a map should be a minimum and that I like an analog altimeter for elevation reference. In summer you can get fogged in but in winter whiteouts can come on quickly and leave you without a reference of where you are especially if you have continued to move with low visibility. Your compass will tell you which way you are heading but not a reference of where you are. This simple tool is not "side banter" nor is it necessary in fair weather if conditions stay that way. It can be handy for reference as is the map. It can be more vital in a whiteout to keep from dropping down into a drainage you do not intend to. Some would say your best way out is downhill. I say not necessarily. Many times people have ended up down in the Dry River unintentionally. Proper use of the map and compass and keeping a bearing regardless of strong winds would have prevented the fate of their journeys. An altimeter is a good quick tool to also help prevent this. Winter conditions can make regaining elevation much more difficult. Wise for you to realize many threads become armchair debates on forums but wiser to realize what you want for skills, tools and your hiking experience because you are the one who will benefit on the trail and the armchairs will still be right where they are.
Agreed.

An altimeter can be a very valuable navigational tool when the visibility is poor, particularly if one is not using a GPS. (On very steep terrain it may be more valuable than a GPS, however most GPSes can also show the altitude.)

Doug

However, a couple of caveats.

• If the weather is worsening, (pressure decreasing), it will read higher.
  • If the weather is improving, (pressure increasing), it will read lower.
  • Colder temperatures increase the reading. You can Google it, or roughly speaking, for 32F, it's 'correct', for 16F, the error is about 10%, and for 0F, it's about 15%.

This is re: the phone altimeter apps? Really? I mistakenly thought that they were keyed to GPS, not barometer readings. This would explain why Ten Mile Hill in Sherman, CT, right at 1000' at its summit, was reading more like 1075'. That threw me for a loop - didn't think the USGS would be that far off.

Well, better to be late to the party than not at all. :rolleyes:

Lots of good advice here, I don't have much to add in that respect. I know firsthand that you know your limits, and aren't afraid to turn back when you're outside your comfort zone.

Suggestions as to peaks, that I haven't seen posted:

Mt. Tremont via Mt. Tremont Trail from 302. Mellow to start, with steeps and switchbacks, only exposed right at the summit. So long as the pullout just up the road is plowed out, this is a viable option. 5.6 miles, ~2700 feet.

Mt. Martha and Owl's Head (not the one in the Pemi) from NH 115. Great views to the Presidentials, unsure about parking. 5.4 miles, ~2500 feet.

Potash Mountain and/or Hedgehog Mountain from Downes Brook trailhead on the Kanc. Excellent views from either peak up the Downes Brook Valley between Passaconaway/Whiteface to the east, Sleepers to the north, and Tripyramids to the west. 4.3/1500 for Potash, 4.9/1700 for Hedgehog loop, 9.2/3200 for both.

I have other ideas too, but not enough time to put them all to text! :D

Just my few cents. Also, I'd be willing to join you for any and/or all of these if our schedules match up. ;)