Best dog breeds for hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Karelian Bear dog loves the woods, trails and rocks.
He does not carry weight yet since he is 4 months old but we go out every day to the local Blue Hills and he likes the skyline trails.

He has a way with the critters as well and sees and hears things well before I do. They are trained and bread to hunt and or deter bears.

I Agree With Dugan...Rescue A Dog From A Shelter

I can only comment on my Golden Retriever as being a good trail dog. The guy is soft-hearted and very friendly, quiet unless someone is coming into camp, non-aggressive, smart and obedient.

I searched for another Dog thread where I posted a long list of considerations for having a dog on the trail but unfortunately I can't find it for you. I'll bet it was lost the last time this server crashed. But just a few items are...

Obedience train your dog asap, then use that knowledge to train it on issues related to hiking (ie. not crapping on the trail, stay within eyesight, healing when approaching other hikers or a camp, not chasing wildlife, begging for food at camp, etc.)

Although I have saddlebags for my dog, I don't make my dog wear it in the heat of the Summer for obvious reasons. And dogs do need water just as we do, so if you are in a waterless area, such as up on a range, bring enough water for both of you.

My dog happened upon our neighborhood about 6 years ago and us and some neighbors fed, took care of it, and tried to find it's owners. I was going to give it to a shelter because the owner was never found (that's another story altogether), but after a week of having him around I just couldn't let him go. It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life as having Buddur has taught me so many important things in life regarding responsibility and companionship. So much so that I really should gotten a dog a long time before that.

I have a golden also--he is a hiking machine. I keep him out of the high peaks area because of the leash bit, but he loves hiking. I have the saddlebags/pack for him also, but I don't make him wear it in the summer, even though he would. I bought ruff-wear bark-n-boots for him in the winter because his feet ball up with snow. In his just under three years of hiking, I haven't met someone on the trail that didn't enjoy his company. But I keep him out of the high traffic hiker areas.

Another vote for a Lab...lots of dogs are good hikers, though. Decide first what kind of temperament you want to live with at home. Shedding, how much grooming is required, tolerance for kids poking at them, whether they're prone to digging big holes in the yard or howling at everything they see...and more!

German Shorthair Pointer,

Very smart, very athletic. Jackson has never had any trouble negotiating a trail (Bondcliff, King Ravine, etc...). When ever I've approched a section of the trail which I thought might give him trouble, I look up and there he is waiting for me.

Second the GSP. Fantasic friend to take a long. Have not taken him to the whites yet, still a bit to young. Every hike out, he thinks he is hunting. They can go all day long, loyal, smart, determined, wonderful dog.

Beagle

My vote is for beagles.
Maybe not the perfect hiking dog, but you don't get a dog just for its hiking ability.

Rivet
I vote for Beagles too, mine is a mix, Beagle and American Hound. She loves the woods and the trails, (and my sleeping bag). I keep her off the high and busy trails, but she is great company and always alert for any dangerous chipmunks that may try to attack me.

I've only had two dogs in my life. They are both black labs-the old lady (Marcy) is an American Lab. Jake is the youngster, and he is an English Lab. I don't know if this always holds true, but they both are super energetic-they can out last me. Second, the female has been our protector, while the boy is always making sure the group is together. Last year when the big bear at Flowed Lands tried three times (unsuccessfully) to get our food, Marcy was brave and chased the bear away(I think I heard Jake gulp). You had to see the scene to believe it, she would not let that bear get near us or the food. So I don't know what species is best, but I do know they are truely great companions on most hiking trips. They do ladders well, and seem to always find a way in the steepest areas.

I have a 2 & 1/2 year old Siberian Husky and he is crazy for hiking. I have to keep him on leash or he will take off and leave me in the dust. I have a "skijoring" harness and that keeps my hands free. He instinctively follows the trail and whoa to anyone who tries to take the lead from him! Obviously, he loves winter and gets a little hot in the summer. I'm trying to build him up for longer hikes - I have to be careful because he will just go until he drops. Huskies have other off trail issues - a little hard to train, etc. - but for hiking, well that's basically what they are bred for. Good luck!

Just had to add to this...

If you are thinking Border Collie -- you better be hiking alot. That's one high enery breed.

The same could be said about labs. The great truth about labs is "A Tired Lab is a Good Lab". Let 'em get bored, and you are in a world of hurt!

I hike with my golden retriever & black lab. Both are limited to hiking distance because of a genetic condition, canine hip dysplasia ("HD"). ALL large breed dogs can get this, and a few lines of medium & smaller breeds. Which ever dog you get, make sure the breeder has hip checks (OFA or Penn Hip) on both lines as far back as possible. This condition can also present in a mutt/mixed breed dog. Don't even think about skirting this issue -- it can cost you and the dog major heartache!

My lab is hiking with two total hip replacements. Unfortunately for the golden, his HD surfaced later in life, too late to do anything about it. One advantage to shelter or breed rescue is testing the dog before taking him. I'd highly recommend it. I've had enough drama & expense -- my next dog will be a rescue.

FYI, when it comes to labs: "American" translates to Field; bred for hunt instinct. "English" = Show; conformation/looks. The latest is to find a mix of both of the best. Be prepared to pay.

In any choice, I'd go for a VERY obedient/intellegent breed. You want a dog that can respond to any command. Think -- you -- bear and cubs -- dog on the defensive. That dog better be able to respond to command. You also do want to think about how much dog you are willing to carry out. This is your responsibility -- this dog will depend on you to get him/her back home if something goes terribly wrong -- that's alot of responsibility -- nevermind water and gear to carry on a usual hike.

Best of luck. Some on my best hikes have been with my dogs -- only because they are trained and are my trail buds. A good dog on the trail is an advantage, not a burden, if you do it right.

Last edited:
Moxie is a German Wirehaired Pointer. He's great in the woods and loves to hike both summer and winter. He carries his own pack with up to three days worth of food, and sometimes he even carries the beer :D :D

We stop at all water crossings on hot days. Moxie is not really into swimming, but he likes to wade and lay down in shallow water.

I haven't found much that he can't climb up. He's got great jumping and agility skills. I've even thought about entering him in canine agility competitions.

He drinks from a camel back and loves powerbars :cool:

He passed obedience shcool the first time through, but sometimes you wouldn't know it :)

Weighs 85 pounds!!
Has never pooped on the trail, always goes in the woods.

The only things that seems to freak him out are those metal grate bridges and steps that you can see through. His little legs quiver and I have to carry him across. And true ladders. Ladders that are leaned up against a solid backing surface, like a rock, are fine. Ladders with open space behind them are not. We have to bushwack around open ladders.

I love my dog! He's a great trail companion.

Nadine

My vote is for Huskies.
I have a 14 year old Siberian, she weighs about 65-70 pounds, and was a real hiking, skiing, walking, and backpacking machine. She is retired from hiking now, but is still the best companion. They are a lot of work to train, but carry more than their own weight. She was hiking until 13, but the arthritus is too much for her now. This breed LOVES to be out on the trail, but tend to blaze their own if not on a leash, or in a harness. We always used a skiijoring harness so we were hands free, and she loved nothing more than pulling a sled while winter camping! That said, if you love your lawn or cats, this breed may not be for you. They tend to be diggers, and many do not get along with cats. There are Husky rescue leagues out there, which I highly reccomend. As with any pet, you need to do some homework to see if the pet fits with your lifestyle. If you are not able or willing to go for walks on a daily basis, a husky is probably a bad choice. Working dogs need to work. If you like to keep your house sparkely clean, you might not want a husky, mine at least is quite the shedding machine! Good luck with whatever choice you make for a new hiking partner!

dug said:
There are a lot of variables to think about. My first dog was a black lab. Could run all day, good coat in the winter, and friendly on the trail. However, that black coat was tough above treeline on a hot July day. I would always be conscious of the water and shade situation. I would strip down to a T-shirt and shorts, but she'd have the same sun-seeking coat on.

After she passed away, I couldn't bear to get another lab. Instead, we got a redbone coonhound. This is a great summer breed. Long legs. Can run and walk for hours. Extremely mellow. Thin coat, and doesn't like too much water. However, she absolutely HATES the winter. No winter hiking for her.

In regards to coonhounds, you also have to really question the breeder. Many are bred exclusively for hunting, so they aren't mellow and don't make particularily great pets. However, my breeder specifically asked if I wanted to hunt her (I didn't), because she doesn't breed them for that.

Huskies overall might be the best. That seems to be the verdict from what I've seen. Labs are the most popular from my experience in the Whites.

I am investigating getting a Redbone Coonhound as a family pet. You mentioned that you need to be careful of the breeder you use as some breeders breed only hunting dogs which may not make good pets. Can you tell me which breeder you used? Also, any other tips/info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Nick

I am investigating getting a Redbone Coonhound as a family pet.

My sister has a Redbone Coonhound as a pet. Great dog but not good for hiking. She gets on the scent of something and sometimes she's gone for the day!

I have two great danes....again great dogs but not really cut out for hiking...when they've had enough they just lie down and don't budge until they're ready to move!

Ok, I'm bias, but I think Labrador Retrievers are the best. My yellow lab, Sadie is about 15 months old and she just bagged her first two 4k footers with me in Crawford Notch a couple of weeks ago....as with all dogs you have to keep them hydrated, but she kept up fine (better shape than me at the end !!) and had a ball. She's the perfect family companion...plays when we want to play, rests when we want to rest, smart and easy to train, but she does think everyone, including other dogs were put on this earth to play with her....very, very friendly ! :D Like most sporting breeds they need regular exercise, so you need to consider the time you can spend with them. In addition to their great dispositions and phyisical capabilities, their coats are short enough so that maintenance isn't a super headache (compared to the Newfie I used to have), yet its long enough to keep them warm in most winter conditions.......she spends a lot of time with outside during the winter at Sugarloaf, ME.

One other thing to remember is that there are a lot of other reasons, besides hiking to pick certain breeds, so you need to make sure they fit your "other" life. All I can say is there's a lot of reasons why Labrador Retrievers are the #1 AKC registered breed. BTW, I recommend yellow labs....easier to spot ticks and cooler in the summer !

Last edited:
The dogs that I have chosen have all come from a shelter. I have been pleasantly rewarded with great active companions. My dog Carmen came home with me at 8 weeks. Seven years and hundreds of miles later, I couldn't dream of a better canine friend and fellow hiker. She's a LAB--boxer--terrier mix, oh yea, and cuddle bunny, too......... :p