Best Places to butt slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best place in New England is somewhere in NY. ;)
:confused: :D

Thanks for the advice folks!

I never thought of S. Hancock, but that would be ideal. Kind of straight and steady, if I recall. I never thought of Tecumseh, when I did it in early April a few years ago. Would have been perfect, as there was lots of snow, but the ski mountain was closed. I will pass on the Presi's suggestions. ;)

Thanks also for the NY tips. Will file that mentally for post-retirement, when I hope to assault the NY 48.

Marty

Last edited:
nh-trekker said:
:eek: King Ravine Headwall or the Great Gulf Head Wall.
The thing that is real cool about those two is that you will not have to climb back to the top of the "hill" when you are done - they are both one way/one time only trips! :D

On a more not wanting to die note - the top part of Mount Tremont and Mount Crawford are good - although my ankle may disagree on Mount Crawford! :eek:

Both South hancock and North Hancock have good sliding. If the conditions are right, the run from south hancock down to the junction is akin to a bob sled chute.

The best sliding is on Lions Head winter trail, Flume Slide Trail (self explanatory), and going down the East snowfield on Mount Washington connecting with the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. I would also say that the Osceola Trail from Greeley to East Osceola has some perfect butt sliding. There has to be the right amount of angle and snow that is packed down. I can get down something that takes 1-2 hours in 10-15 minutes. :) -Mattl

Webster Jackson Tr., Beaver Brook Tr.

If you don't mind blind corners and a bit of danger, I suggest these two. I almost always pack a plastic roll-up sled on winter trips. Webster Jackson attracts the AMC snowshoe crowd, so it is always packed nicely.

If you really want the real-deal, I did have one hell of a time coming down the Sherburne ski trail from Hermit Lake. When you wipe out, you have to scramble to get out of the way of the skiers, so doing it on a weekday is probably best. A great loop is up Boot Spur, down Boot Spur Link (usually crampons are a must) and sled down from Hermit Lake.

The best I've seen in a long time is The Avalon Trail from the junction with the Willey Range Trail. Just a long continuous pitch. And there is a ton of snow up there right now.

Marty: Are you talking about intentional or unintentional butt sliding??? :eek: I believe I've mastered both! ;)

Among my faves: (sort of intentional to escape a thunder-and-lightning storm: Mt. Washington); definitely unintentional: Kinsman Pond Trail (actually, that might've been more head sliding instead of butt sliding, now that I think of it)...

Otherwise, I'd echo that Tecumseh and South Hancock would be good spots. Other possibility: Welch-Dickey.

alpinista said:
Marty: Are you talking about intentional or unintentional butt sliding??? :eek: I believe I've mastered both! ;)

Alpinista: glad to see your sense of humor hasn't changed due to your recent move to the Big Apple!

All: thanks for sending all these tips! My butt is looking forward to doing some fine sliding :D

Marty

East Osceola. A luge run in the right conditions. And chances are nobody will be coming up while you're sliding down.