Black bear sighting...would you tell ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
I realize there might not be any particularly correct answer but I did want to relate a recent sighting we had and the decision to tell or not tell others was a decision we needed to make in a hurry.

My wife and I were on the 1st day of a 10 day trip, paddling in an area I guess I would call semi wilderness.
We were talking quietly to each other, when we hear a tremendous amount of splashing nearby... maybe about 100 feet away.

At first all we could see was water splashing high obscuring what we quickly realized was a black bear bounding across the sandbar beside us to an adjoining island. The sandbar being covered with water about knee deep at the most.

The bear on all fours looked tall...all legs with a lean body...we figured it was a young one about a year or two in age, but it was just a guesstimate.

We couldn't tell if it had heard us or picked up our sent and made a run for the connecting Island or was just having fun on a hot day splashing around in the water.

It was one of the best wildlife viewings of our life.

...But ...then the awkward part....

Within a minute a motorboat loaded with 4 dogs and 4 or 5 people comes seemingly out of nowhere and lands directly on the sandbar.
The unrestrained dogs jump from the boat and one picks up the scent of the bear and takes off directly where the bear entered the woods hardly a minute before.

The people, clueless of the nearby bear call the dogs back from the woods anyway...we sit and watch the whole thing unfold.

Big decision for us , do we tell the people that they just missed an awesome viewing ?
Do we tell them they are in danger ?
Do we tell them their dogs are in danger?
or
tell them they are endangering the bear ?

Within 20 minutes or a half hour the people and dogs started to come across the sand bar to where we were...a story for another time, but it is safe to say the interaction between the people, dogs and us went poorly.

Last edited:
That's a fabulous story as far as you and your wife being able to watch this young bear. For me, the rest of it would probably be not liking the motorboat charging in, but I guess they have a right. I might have told them what they missed because of the noise they were making and let them guess for themselves about the safety of their dogs being unleashed. No doubt they've done that safely before. (Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today. Don't ask! :mad:)

In August, Brian and I were hiking on the Wonderland Trail near Sunrise Point at Mt. Rainier National Park. Not far from the shelter a black bear crossed our path. A little later it, or another, crossed our path again. We went to the shelter and check out the "facilities" -- I picked up one energy bar wrapper, the only trash I saw. We started up the hill towards the junction with the Mt. Fremont Trail. I looked back and guess what, the bear was following us, right in our tracks! Soon it went off to the side, then it paralled our trail by about a hundred feet and made its way up the snowfield. We arrived at the summit to find a swarm of people all excited as the bear made its way along the Wonderland, probably, but I hope not, to check the next Wonderland shelter.

Everyone had been respectful. In awe, actually.

You could ask yourself what would have happened if you were not there? These people would then be on their own. You are not their parents or a Ranger (or at least I assume not! :D ).

This kind of reminds me of the 'water' thread going on. If you encounter a hiker in dire need, are you obliged to give them your water/food/gear/assistance? No. But you should, as long as your compassion will not endanger your own safety.

I'd probably mention it. Last thing I'd want is a stirred up, pissed off black bear running around. I may get caught in the crossfire.

I'd probably mention it--as much to protect the bear from them as to protect them from the bear.

Maybe if you had also told them that the bear was 10 ft tall and had a mean and hungry look on its face, you might have been able to chase them away to a distant campsite... :)

Doug

If you were in close proximity of communicating with the folks in the boat I would have made an effort to let them know that you had just seen a Bear for their safety and yours. Had something happened with the bear involving you, the other people, and or the dogs and you had not said something that IMO would have been alot worse to deal with than a private moment being interrupted.

If I thought they, their dogs, or the bear were in danger, I'd probably let them know, even if they were being clueless.

Why let the dogs or the bear get hurt because the humans are being dumb? Besides, if I saw someone walking out into traffic, I'd probably try to stop/warn them. I don't know that I'd respond any differently in the backcountry.

If they had made contact with me -- be it a wave hello or eye contact--I would have mentioned it but it would have been more in the enthusiastc spirit of sharing something special :) ...("hey! Cool! I just saw a bear right there!").

If they hadn't, I would just let it go... Live and let live...:)

In terms of safety-- bears live in the woods. Most people know this. They are probably around us more than we know --- and without incident to anyone.

For the bear's sake, I would have let them know about the bear and that they should probably leash their dogs. The bear is in its natural habitat and does not deserve to be hassled by unleashed and badly behaved dogs (note that I am assuming the dogs were badly behaved since the interaction between you and their owners was negative).

NOTE -- If I'm wrong about the dogs being badly behaved, then my answer would be different. If the dogs were listening to their owners and not entering the woods, then I'd feel less inclined to tell them to leash. Would still tell them about the bear, though.

Last edited:
The bear is in its natural habitat and does not deserve to be hassled by unleashed and badly behaved dogs (note that I am assuming the dogs were badly behaved since the interaction between you and their owners was negative).

I think it's fair to assume that MOST dogs are going to behave in a less-than-idea fashion if face-to-face with a bear. That's a heck of a lot of instinct to over-ride.

I think it's fair to assume that MOST dogs are going to behave in a less-than-idea fashion if face-to-face with a bear. That's a heck of a lot of instinct to over-ride.

Agreed -- which is why I would tell the owners.

If the dogs don't always listen, then there's an immediate danger of the dogs running after the bear and someone or something getting hurt. If the dogs DO listen, I'd tell the owners anyway, just so they can be extra aware and viligant with their unleashed dogs. I have personally seen more than one "oh she doesn't need to be leashed" dogs run after a critter and ignore the calls of the owner. Base instinct can override years of training in a heartbeat. Why risk harming the wildlife (and potentially the dog...and the owner)? This is why I'd tell regardless -- in a friendly, positive manner. What the owners chose to do with that information would of course be up to them. However, should there be a negative outcome to bear, dog, or owner, at least the owner couldn't say they hadn't been told.

Last edited:

I think in most situations black bears in the NE are long gone as soon as they pick up the scent of humans or dogs. Most black bears are well accustomed to living near humans and if there was a power boat involved, it seems likely that this is an area where bears are accustomed to human sightings. :p

In terms of dogs reactions to bears, MichaelJ and I have had two experiences where Terra has stood quietly sideways on the trail and blocked our passage when a bear was closeby. In one instance we were quite annoyed with her for being in our way, late in the day and tired from a long hike, until we realized what she was really doing.

On another occaision, in the Adirondacks, a bear came crashing up out of a river through the brush and nearly crossed paths with Highonlife and myself when we were hiking out at dusk. In this situation, Terra who was perhaps ten feet ahead of us came running back to us and stood with us.

That said she is a herding/guardian breed and that's exactly what we would expect of one.

Define ideal? To some it would be having one's faithful dog put themselves between them and danger in the wild.

Each situation, dog and bear is as different as the opinions on this board :p -- I would be reluctant to assume that someone's dog was ill behaved and act premptively -- it seems more condescending than well intended to assert some unsolicited advice to others out enjoying the outdoors. Just my 0.02.

Last edited:
Each situation, dog and bear is as different as the opinions on this board :p -- I would be reluctant to assume that someone's dog was ill behaved and act premptively -- it seems more condescending than well intended to assert some unsolicited advice to others out enjoying the outdoors. Just my 0.02.

Of course :) I just don't think it's somehow insulting to a dog to assume there's a good chance its prey drive will kick in.

Can we differentiate between doling out unsolicited advice, and just giving someone a heads-up? Not a fan of condescension, either, but I think if you saw me walking Augs and said something like "just so you know, there's a skunk up ahead on the right" I'd manage not to be offended.

Lots of variables, though (and I'd also love to hear what actually transpired!)

Last edited:
Of course :) I just don't think it's somehow insulting to a dog to assume there's a good chance its prey drive will kick in.

Can we differentiate between doling out unsolicited advice, and just giving someone a heads-up? Not a fan of condescension, either, but I think if you saw me walking Augs and said something like "just so you know, there's a skunk up ahead on the right" I'd manage not to be offended.

Lots of variables, though (and I'd also love to hear what actually transpired!)

Absolutely -- that's as far as I'd go myself. :D. Avoiding a skunked or porcupined dog would be a great help!

Last edited:

Agreed! I think the only dog owners who would be offended are the ones who insist that their dogs would never, ever, no matter what, act like...well, dogs. :)

A friendly heads-up to an owner with a listening and well-behaved dog -- absolutely.

A not-so-friendly heads-up to an owner who is allowing an ill-behaved dog to do whatever -- absolutely.

Either way, a heads-up would be the way I'd go. Friendly or not-so-friendly tone of voice would depend on whether or not the owner was keeping their unleashed dog in check.

Here's a twist -- say you are in an area with an open bear hunting season and you see someone who may be a hunter? What would you do then? ;-)

More often then not - life has taught me that if someone isn't asking, they probably won't appreciate the input-- No matter how sweetly it's packaged ;-)
(not perfect, but making progress)

I think this goes double for people in the outdoors who are trying to get away from it all.

Skunks and porcupines excepted ;/)