Black Fly Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was swarmed last evening (4/30) while doing yard work. Lucky for me I must not taste that good.

Pete, since you must taste better then the average hiker, can I join you on hikes during blackfly season?:)

Interesting Website

Here is one site that tells all about the life cycle and habits of the little b*****ds. http://res2.agr.gc.ca/ecorc/diptera/bf05-dp05_e.htm .

It's nice to know that the ones which are biting are the females, recently mated, just looking for a little blood to help launch the next generation. So we are all just doing our part by contributing a little of our iron for their cause.

-David

Season prologue came to southeastern NH on Thursday, 4/29. Ah, what cruelty was this, Gaia, that you would have us believe that only these few were all that were coming?

The real thing arrived today at Pawtuckaway S.P., followed seconds later by the donning of the ceremonial head net and long sleeves. Ain't enough DEET in the world to do the job, IMO. (Wish my sister lived nearer -- she was always good for drawing their attention.)

So when IS freeze-up this year???

dacks or whites

need to get out next week, thinking of spending five days in either dacks or whites.
wondering if anyone could steer us towards the less buggy of the two?

(if possible)

thanks and happy memorial day:D

Not a single black fly or mosquito in Franconia Notch this past weekend. But then again, valley temps of 40/60 and summit temps of 18/30 with 30+ mph winds are exactly bug-friendly conditions...
:D

Re: I Don't Want To Look Like The "Disfigured" Pete Hickey

Buddur said:
Soooooooooo...maybe I should re-think my tentative plans to hit the Santanoni Range this Memorial Day weekend, eh?
if you come, bring a bug shirt or some super deet. they are out in force.