Blue Hills forest fire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clown

Reaction score
Actually I'm suprised that no-one has mentioned this just yet. On monday there was a large brush/forest fire in the blue hills (route 28 area) that burned around 12 acres of land. It burned right over parts of the skyline trail. I heard on the radio, that it was around 12 acres. I cannot find anything on the web about it (very suprising) but I can confirm that it did burn over the skyline trail as we were there. Chas took some pictures after the fact and maybe (wink, wink, nod, nod) he will upload some.

This is actually the second fire in less than 2 weeks. There was another one, 2 wednesdays ago on the Ponkapoag side.

There is a ton, I mean a ton of brush in those woods. There really hasn't been a brush fire there in a long time and I suspect this year we will see more.

peace.

Jaytrek57 said:
This is actually the second fire in less than 2 weeks. There was another one, 2 wednesdays ago on the Ponkapoag side.

There is a ton, I mean a ton of brush in those woods. There really hasn't been a brush fire there in a long time and I suspect this year we will see more.

peace.

In fact, there can be several *HUNDRED* tons of combustible material in an acre!

Besides the fires there is also a crack pot roaming the Blue Hills. The Boston stations were reporting a woman was attacked and molested while hiking alone thursday of friday of last week in the Blue Hills. Guy was reported to have 1/2 finger gloves, like cyclists wear, so speculation was he could be crusing the area on a bicycle.

kerry13 said:
Besides the fires there is also a crack pot roaming the Blue Hills. The Boston stations were reporting a woman was attacked and molested while hiking alone thursday of friday of last week in the Blue Hills. Guy was reported to have 1/2 finger gloves, like cyclists wear, so speculation was he could be crusing the area on a bicycle.

Yeah, a guy in my office told me about that this morning as well....

I have put up some pictures that I took yesterday (the day after the fire). Luckily, it rained alot the night and day after the fire so it's very wet up there now.
The fire seems to have burned mostly on the top of Buck Hill and an area south of that in the woods. This area is between the Houghtons pond parking and goes east towards rt 28. Mostly brush burned and not whole trees, maybe there will be less blueberries this year? :rolleyes: . The fire crews that were there must have done a pretty good job, it was very windy the day of the fire and it could have really spread further.

Chas.

rocksnrolls said:
Thanks for posting those images Chas. It's not as bad as I had feared. Shouldn't take new growth too long to take advantage of the situation, right?

Yes, I would think so. The growing season is just getting underway here, I'm sure it will be as green as ever soon.

Chas.

Thanks for the update Chas. Hopefully hiking down there
next week with the croo.

Unburned grass in trail

Any explanation for why the grass in the trail and next to it didn't burn in those places where the fire jumped the trail?