Broad topic (and not just cuz I'm a girl)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jedediah Smith Redwood Forest

BFT.jpg

hot springs in Banff closed in Sept?

I was thinking the hot springs in Banff are only open Oct through May... If they are open, it is really nice to soak after a long day on the _______. Afterward, a nice dinner, some ____ wine and - ummmmm! So, do ya need a non-Sherpa sherpa? I think my Mrs. wouldn't mind TOOO much!?!

Though i live here in europe, i wouldn't mind coming back stateside to "serve" another hiker-type!!!!

For psycho-types like me-self, the research and preparation stages are half the fun!!!

frank

My best friend lives in Banff ,forget Calgary and drive over to Banff. You can hike Sulfur Mt (realitively easy)in town near the hot springs and see the incredible views! Then ride the gondola down if you want! (small fee)Mt Rundle is a tough hike with lots of scree and so isn't Cascade but the views of both from downtown Banff are amazing! I've hiked them both, incredible scenery everywhere you look. You can rent bikes in town and cycle to beautifull areas, white water rafting, etc!

Canmore has beautifull golf courses and cheaper than Banff if you're into that. Canmore also has some rock climbing on the way to Banff. Lake Louise, hike up to Tea House and have a scone & Tea (avoid busy weekends). It was under construction last year, not sure if it's done yet. Kind of took the feel away with construction mess. Moraine Lake is right beside Lake Louise and worth the small detour over to it. Turquoise water & snowy glacier behind it!

I'm heading up in middle of March for a ski trip, if you need or want any specific info let me know by March???

#1 advice from me, try not to see so much that you really do not see much of anything. That's allot of ground to cover, don't spend it all in the car. Here are some Day hikes I have done that I would highly recommend:

Lake Louis (I stayed in the hostel, I am cheap but too lazy to camp, join ACC will allow you to do this)-
Beehives (easy) 1/2 day.
Mt Fairview - (moderate 1 day)

Jasper - Mt Wilcox (difficult scramble), my group could not find the way up to the summit without what appeared to be unroped rock climbing to us, but it is said to be doable without rock climbing. Fabulous views of Columbia icefields and Athabasca Mt & glacier, even as high as we got. (1 day for RT hike, 1 day RT travel from trans canada highway).

North Cascades -
Hidden Lakes Lookout & Peak, (moderate 1 day) possibly my favorite hike anywhere for views
Sourdough Mt (moderate 1 day) allot of vertical, 5200', but very good foot friendly trail so not too hard. Gorgeous summit views, famous beatnick hangout
Hannegan Peak (moderate 1 day) - great views of Baker, Shuksan and northern pickets. Also do drive to the world famous view of Mt Shuksan from a lake with a huge parking lot, but well worth the drive. This is the view on the NP monopoly game box cover (which incidently is not actually in a NP). Do in same day as Hannegan peak climb. Near Candian border.

Mt Rainier NP -
Tatoosh range plummer peak (easy, 1/2 day), great views of Rainier (ofcourse from south). Also you can try neighboring Castle peak, which you are supposed to be able to scramble up, but I could not find the route that did not appear vertical rock climbing to me, like Wilcox.

Shriner peak - ( moderate 1 day ) , great views of Rainer upper mountain from the east, where you can pick out the entire Disspointment cleaver route on the mountain.

Camp Muir (already covered above)

Burroughs Mt & sunrise (easy half day)

Southern WA -

Mt. St Helen's - Unique hike, do it at least once in your life if you get the chance.

As stated above, check with Rangers ahead of time shortly before you head out there to see what is passable after this winter's storms out there.

I second Shriner peak...great views...easy hike (friends and I did it in a half day then did paradise to the snowfileds, but that's a pretty long day)

DougPaul had some good advice...if you are going to do the US and the Can Rockies, the do the CR last. I did a 4 week trip with my brother and hit the CR first and then down to Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and the US was a letdown after seeing the CR. The CR's are intense.

You can easily spend 2 weeks doing dayhikes from Banff to Jasper and still want more time. If you are doing the whole trip you mentioned, then you better plan on 4 weeks. 3 would be too short. Live it up!

As was said, fly to Calgary and get out of dodge right away and drive straight to Banff.

Make sure you go though the pain in the butt early reservation stuff for taking the bus into Lake Ohara in Yoho NP. Do the alpine cirque or one of the other high loop routes. That area has some of the very best day hiking you can imagine.

I assume you are going to fly to Calgary and then fly back from the west coast. If not, you might want to spend the extra cash for airfare and 1 way rental car and do that.

The book I like for the CR is "Don't Waste Your Time in the Can. Rockies". Get it from amazon. Great guide book.

Sounds like an awesome trip. It would also be two awesome trips - one in the CR and one in the Pac NW. I've yet to do the Pac NW trip...but it is certainly on the list.

Have fun!

- d

Toe Cozy said:
I haven't even looked into this yet, but can you fly in to Banff? I was figuring Calgary was the place to fly in to. Not that I really wanted to hang out there.
Banff is a small town surrounded by mountains. Not a good place for an airport...

I used (and liked) "An Altitude SuperGuide, Canadian Rockies" by Graeme Pole, 1992.

Doug

Last edited:
Sorry for confusion, you will fly into Calgary, but just don't hang out. There is way too much to see to hang out in the city atmosphere. You can see the ski jump from the Olympics as you leave town.

The icefields are cool and lots of hikes around that area up in Jasper, but it's a long drive. The drive over to Lake Louise area isn't so bad and great viewing. I love just hanging around Banff or Lake Louise area for a day or two and tons of hikes & bike rides right from town center with amazing views. If you're just going to be in the area for a short time, you don't want to be in the car to much, you'll be driving plenty it sounds like.
No matter what you decide to see, you can't go wrong! The mountain viewing is so much bigger than the states.You'll love it!

Have a great time!!