Cabot Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder what model NECN is using. Not even Mt Washington High Summits Forecast is forecasting accumulating snow for Sat/Sun. Looks like heavy rain North though. Have to see if I can find a good rainy day peak still on my list in Southern NH.

As far as plowing Rt 16, Pinkham Notch DOT depot summoned in staff today to rig the plow trucks for plowing and sanding their section of the Notch, roughly from Dana Place Inn to the Gorham town line. Hopefully, the Magic B Ball is wrong, but at least the DOT is prepared for any eventuality.

Breeze

Quite a bit of snow in Franconia Notch AM. Almost looked like they had plowed. And the top of Waumbek had almost 8" this morning. What ever forecast model NECN used was right on the money! What a crazy day. Still about 2" on the ground at 1:30PM when I was driving home.

Bumping this thread back up from when I first inquired about it back in May...

I am finally planning on Cabot sometime in the next 2 weeks for my #48

Still wondering about that gate... has the gate been pretty much open all summer? Is it something that even needs to be worried about this time of year? (August)

Still have to break out my map and look at those other alternative routes suggested here. That out and back may be better if drier, but for now, still thinking Bunnel Notch-Kilkenny Ridge Tr-Unknown Pond Tr for that triangular loop.

Done it 3 times in the past few years, I have arrived and left anywhere from 9am to 1am and never saw it closed.

Now I may change up my plans and do the hike from the northern approach of Stark. It sounds drier overall even though its an O&B and maybe a little more overall elevation since have to reclimb the Bulge to get out.

Anyone done that route from Stark and know if that road is open? and the map shows a gate towards the end of that Mill Brook Rd 0.8 miles away from the parking... is that gate open?

As of at least November 2011 the gate was actually gone (I didn't even see it) and you could drive to the trailhead.

Yes as MichaelJ says...if you do it from Mill Brook Rd. and you have time, you really should continue to the site of the now gone fire tower and Cabot Cabin, at least to see the views, because the views from the Horn are somewhat blocked by Cabot (might as well enjoy it if you are up there)...and sometimes some folks have actually missed the spur to the Horn...ledge to get to the Horn's summit can be tricky too if slippery and you are solo...I once ran into a group of hikers near Mill Brook trailhead descending, asked me how much further to the York Pond parking lot....needless to say, when I told them they went the wrong way on the Unknown Pond Trail, panic set in...but my pickup was able to hold them all and got them back to York Pond....so when you come back down take a left (which I m sure you know!!)and don't forget the spur to the Cabot spring...!

I know, tough one about Cabot Cabin... my original route was Bunnel Notch-Kilkenny-Unknown Pond trails loop from Berlin Fish hatchery, but SOOoooo many people have said how wet, muddy and grown in Bunnel Notch, that side of Unknown Pond and even York Pond trails are. And have heard mostly positive things about the Unknown Pond trail approach from Stark.

That O&B if turning point is Cabot is 5 miles each way and then the 0.3 each way to The Horn so round trip 10.6. For me that is enough for a day hike...

BUT...

I was wondering about extending it to Cabot Cabin and making that the turnaround point and wondering if that is really that much worth it to visit? Looking at the map, from Cabot, it's 0.4 down off Cabot? So an additional 0.8 plus re-climbing Cabot? Is it really something that shouldn't be missed? And why?

I know 0.8 isn't much, but overall it adds up towards the end of the day on the long walk back out. 10.6 sounds better than 11.4 LOL

Also is the Horn spur marked? Lefty E just said people miss it and walk right by? I remember Isolation was kind of like that, easily missable if not paying attention.

I know, tough one about Cabot Cabin... my original route was Bunnel Notch-Kilkenny-Unknown Pond trails loop from Berlin Fish hatchery, but SOOoooo many people have said how wet, muddy and grown in Bunnel Notch, that side of Unknown Pond and even York Pond trails are. And have heard mostly positive things about the Unknown Pond trail approach from Stark.

That O&B if turning point is Cabot is 5 miles each way and then the 0.3 each way to The Horn so round trip 10.6. For me that is enough for a day hike...

BUT...

I was wondering about extending it to Cabot Cabin and making that the turnaround point and wondering if that is really that much worth it to visit? Looking at the map, from Cabot, it's 0.4 down off Cabot? So an additional 0.8 plus re-climbing Cabot? Is it really something that shouldn't be missed? And why?

I know 0.8 isn't much, but overall it adds up towards the end of the day on the long walk back out. 10.6 sounds better than 11.4 LOL

Also is the Horn spur marked? Lefty E just said people miss it and walk right by? I remember Isolation was kind of like that, easily missable if not paying attention.

It's all about what time of year you climb it. I wouldn't go there now given how wet it has been. While some more work as been done on Bunnel Notch, it's still a swamp during the summer months. We did it in December and that was my best experience yet. We did the full loop including the Horn (which has a sign and is easy to follow). If you can wait for the ground to freeze but before the snow starts, that is the time to do it.

Shamples - this thread, which you started on May 22, now has 32 posts.

May I suggest - as tactly as I can - that YOU JUST GO TO THE FISH HATCHERY AND DO IT!!!!:D

And yes, the gate will be open, and it will be a little muddy (pack an extra pair of socks/sock liners and even a set of plastic bags to wear over the socks) but Cabot is a mellow hike.

It's not Everest. It's not Denali. It's Cabot. ;)

I just like to have as much info as I can get before venturing out on hikes I haven't been before.

Yes, I started the thread in May, but I was more getting started just thinking about the hike back then and didn't have it in my immediate plans but was hoping to get to it by the end of summer. I was doing some southern peaks first like the Pack Monadnocks and then gearing up for a Wildcats traverse before I got to Cabot. So now here it is end of summer and Cabot is my final 48 and I am finally ready to really hike it, which is why I inquired again recently.

I love all the information and is much appreciated. I very well know it is not Everest or Denali smarta$$ LOL

...I love all the information and is much appreciated. I very well know it is not Everest or Denali smarta$$ LOL

Congrats in advance on finishing the list, and hope you have a fine hike. I was out in the Hancocks yesterday after being away for a couple of weeks and overall water levels are much more like mid-summer (lower) than they were a month ago.

Good luck -

FWIW, I feel that the approach from Stark along Unknown Pond Tr is more muddy than Bunnell Notch Tr or the descent along Unknown Pond Tr from the pond to the hatchery. I pefer the loop many times over to the in and out along the same route. Go clockwise and spend your extra time at The Horn or Unknown Pond. The cabin and summit of Cabot are anticlimatic in comparison.

Mud and wet is a relative thing and only a minor annoyance that will not impact the trip. Don't let this prevent you from picking the best route which without a doubt is the loop up Bunnel Notch and then down Unknown Pond trail. The wet spot on Unknown Pond trail is the last 3/4 of a mile prior to the trailhead so you wont be walking in wet shoes for long. Bunnel notch trail used to be real wet but it has been improved substantially, I expect if you want to get wet you can but there are plenty of options to not get wet. The drive up the trailhead on the other end of the Unknown Pond trail is at least 20 to 25 minutes.

I would be far more concerned about following RT 110 through Berlin (the usual 1st time success rate of making it through without taking a wrong turn is about 30%) then parking on York Pond Road.