Calling all Dogs and Doggers, Saturday, October 10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not really a tough trail for dogs. We did it last summer. It's certainly steep but has no tough ledges. It reminds me a bit of the ascent to East Osceola from the East in terms of steepness. I'd forgotten about the Wilderness group size issue. I don't hike with people often enough to think about that stuff.

Hey Bill,
How was the descent? I would be interested in perhaps descending by that route.
Yeah, thanks for the info on group size, MJ, I need to be more cognizcant of that when publishing open calls!!!

:D

Ewe 2, Bob looks very relaxed. I'm sorry you can't make it, he looks like he could use a wake up!

Hey Bill,
How was the descent? I would be interested in perhaps descending by that

The descent would certainly be doable but not much fun. I think it's a trail I'd choose to travel up rather than down. Footing isn't great but there's nothing really dangerous. I don't think I'd choose to do it if things are wet (as they might be on Saturday).

Overall, I think the Desolation Trail is probably more dog-friendly than it is for humans. Four limbs are helpful in a lot of areas. It's a fun trail... much steeper than Zeacliff but with no difficult ledges that I remember.

I don't have many pics that show the steepness but this should give you an idea of what to expect in terms of footing.

http://sheeprocks.com/photos/carrigain_20080920/carrigain_20080920-Pages/Image35.html

Agree with Bill on going up Desolation Trail. It's a tad steep for the last mile or so, but large rocks, some nice stairs, narrow - not like a slide.

Ok, dog tally and play styles, IIRC, please corrrect me if I am wrong! :)

Confirmed
Terra, Aussie - medium sized, female, play style herdy
Sheep - Large, female, play style not known
Emma- small, female, adult, "please don't jump on me I'm little" play style
Rolly, Boxer(early start) large, male, enthusiastic play style
Coco, Choc Lab - large, female, play style not known

Maybe's
Leo, Yellow Lab- medium, puppy, male, puppy Puppy PUPPY!:)
Percy, Yellow Lab- large, female, play style unknown
Zoe, Springer Spaniel- medium, female, very sweet and laid back play style
Martie, Dobe - large, female, a wee bit shy

Still waiting to hear back:
Tuckerman, Hound Mix -large, male, older puppy, enthusiastic play style

If anyone else intends to come and bring their dog, it would be helpful if you would post here or send me a pm -- just so I have a sense of how many dogs to expect an what their sizes/ages/playstyles/gender; with an emphasis on parking lot ettiquette with reference to hikers not with our group. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I will probably leave Terra in my car until I have had a chance to meet everyone and get organized.

Looking so forward to this !!!

Thanks to everyone who's making it!

Sabrina

Last edited:
Sabrina, you've arranged such a great play date for Terra! Sounds like a great day for all. I told Bob he could certainly plan a belated 48th / 6th treat for Terra. Enjoy!!
Geri

Thanks, Geri!
I'm so sorry our schedules didn't synch up, but we'll see you around the campfire and Bob can play tug of war with Tee, that will just make her day !

Edit, and oh silly me -- I didn't publish a "people tally", since we all can read. :) Tee hee...

Hi - Percy is still looking forward to coming but my plans are still a little up in the air! ;) Just so folks can ID her, she's actually a black lab, not a yellow lab, and I guess I'd say her play style is energetic semi-pup (as in: she isn't really any more, but she hasn't realized it :D) She's very non-aggressive and her most common play antic is to flop over and try to get a bellyrub. Ahhh, to be a dog... :cool:

Hi - Percy is still looking forward to coming but my plans are still a little up in the air! ;) Just so folks can ID her, she's actually a black lab, not a yellow lab, l:

Oops! Thanks for the correction! Well, we certainly hope to meet you this weekend, and if not, tell Percy that Terra frequents Cat Rock nearly every afternoon about 5 in the PM. :D She's generally off the radar and forms a bluish gray speeding bullet (note that she was captured on time lapse photography in avatar photo <left>), but always stops to sniff and say hi to other canines. She's not very interested in people, unless they have food or a nice stick...LOL.

Last edited:
Slight correction: Sheep is a boy (but he's down with his feminine side) and I'd describe his play style as "don't bother me, I have peaks to bag" (unless you have food or a ball).

Planning for a Desolation Trail group

Jazzbo and I were thinking about leaving at 8:00am and taking the Desolation route. That should get us to the summit in time to hook up with the Signal Ridge group. Would anyone else like to join us? We do need to keep the group size to 10. PM or respond if you are interested.

Oops! Sorry, Bill, don't tell Sheep!
Glad that you can make it, Pat! I can't wait to meet Leo! :)

I love everyone's descriptions of thier dog's personalities, I think we have a really well meshed group for saturday!

I'm expecting to summit around 12-1. I will be taking the Signal Ridge Trail so I can soak up as much Leo time as I can before Audrey needs to turn back! :)

We'll hang out on the summit celebrating a bit -- but probably won't linger much longer than a sandwich and some doggy treats -- so I hope we don't miss anyone who's opting to head up the other way !

Whichway, we will just need to plan a playdate, can't wait to meet Miss Delilah! She must be full grown now! :)

Chester sends his regrets... We are heading to the Hudson Highlands of NY for the weekend to do some hiking and apple picking. Hopefully another time!

6921_537304734981_14005407_31971535_4845332_n.jpg

So I should or shouldn't bring the cats along?
:p
No joke!

I had a siamese cat, My Thai, that hiked and ... escaping my restraint, she once squared off against two over-curious dobermans. In the ensuing melee, accented by the yelps of two canines surprisingly and visciously bit on the nose ... family and friends who have survived such nips still have the scars ... she made a hasty retreat up a nearby pine tree and she remained for an hour, even after I retrieved her, in a state of, shall we say, catatonia.

... I know a woman like that. :eek::D