Cannon Information???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
I haven't hike Cannon from the tramway lot for quite some time (possibly a couple years). I'm thinking it's time for a change. ;)

Does anybody happen to know if Cannon has been hiked via the Kinsman Ridge Trail from the tramway lot in the past week?

I'm not getting lazy but we've engaged in significant trail breaking for the past two weekends (first the Cannon Balls and then the Osceolas). I'm thinking it's time for a change. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any information.

:)

We did Canon on Sunday...coming DOWN. Luckily, we were following someone down who knew where he was going as we couldn't really see much for markings.

Basically, we followed rogue ski/snowboarders. As there hasn't been much snow since Sunday...you could probably follow our tracks. It really wasn't that bad.

I happened to check Cannon Mtn.'s snow report this week -- I think it was Tuesday, and they were reporting 12 inches the day before. They might have expanded their snow reporting to lure skiiers in;) They now say 29" in the last 10 days or so. Don't know if that jives with last Sunday's experiende:confused:.

Basically, we followed rogue ski/snowboarders. As there hasn't been much snow since Sunday...you could probably follow our tracks. It really wasn't that bad.
Thanks,

I assume you were descending the upper section on ski trails to the glades and then on the KRT to the base. I prefer to avoid the ski trails if possible.

I happened to check Cannon Mtn.'s snow report this week -- I think it was Tuesday, and they were reporting 12 inches the day before. They might have expanded their snow reporting to lure skiiers in;) They now say 29" in the last 10 days or so. Don't know if that jives with last Sunday's experiende:confused:.
Cannon Mountain must experience interesting weather.

A couple weeks ago when we hiked Cannon & The Kinsmans the Cannon Ski Area snow report indicated over 24 inches of new snow (evidently on the north side of the mountain). From the summit south was a different world of generally six inches or less, except for a few areas of drifts.

Perhaps the Cannon Ski Area snow reports are based on drift depth. :rolleyes:

I agree with your view. Ski areas embellish at times. :D

The area had signifigant snow between Friday night and late Saturday.
Ferrisjrf broke out N Twin trail friday afternoon. Me and Shizzy went up Saturday. Around 3500' his tracks were gone when we passed through. On our way out tracks we made earlier had 6" of new snow. Also a few more inches fell Monday between early morning and late afternoon. Elevation made a big difference in snowfall amounts.

Out of bounds skiers frequently cross some sections of the hiking trail.

Thanks,

I assume you were descending the upper section on ski trails to the glades and then on the KRT to the base. I prefer to avoid the ski trails if possible.

Nope...we were acutally on the trail for the upper section (saw a few cairns and blazes) but lost it "finding the easiest way down" as we followed a fellow hiker who had done this before. We ended up going past a VERY old water "tower"...and coming off the "trail" right smack dab behind the Tram lodge thingy. Hey, my first bushwack! Or do these only count if they are intentional?

Nope...we were acutally on the trail for the upper section (saw a few cairns and blazes) but lost it "finding the easiest way down" as we followed a fellow hiker who had done this before. We ended up going past a VERY old water "tower"...and coming off the "trail" right smack dab behind the Tram lodge thingy. Hey, my first bushwack! Or do these only count if they are intentional?
Interesting. :)

As far as I'm concerned, planned or not - a bushwhack is a bushwhack. If you are able to locate your vehicle at the end of the day it was probably a successful bushwhack. ;)

Thanks for the info. :cool:

Kinsman Ridge Trail from Cannon Lot

BigEarl,
We broke out the Kinsman Ridge Trail from the lot to the tram last Saturday. It was a bit hard to follow but nonetheless we made it. It seemed a bit touchy with the skiers coming down on the glade area. They seem to like to hug the edge where we were hiking.:eek:
It was interesting the looks we received from some of the skiers seeing our snowshoes.:D

Donna:)

BigEarl,
We broke out the Kinsman Ridge Trail from the lot to the tram last Saturday. It was a bit hard to follow but nonetheless we made it.
Donna:)

Thanks Donna,

I've been looking at various weather history reports and can find no reports of precipitation in the area all week. It looks like the 29 inches Cannon is reporting over the past 10 days fell between Tuesday and Saturday.

Since there has evidently been little or no precipitation since Sunday, I am left with the question we all ask just before taking the leap. :eek:

How bad can it be? :rolleyes:

This looks like a good approach.

Thanks again,
Earl

Earl,

A friend was heading over to hike Cannon this afternoon. Pretty sure he will be hitting the KRT either in the way up or down so it should be broken out. I will email him and see if I can get you a status later tonight.

Cannon snow

We drove through the notch Monday morning and it was snowing hard, the road needed a snowplow. Wed, we tried to reach N. Twin and even with a good size group, we did not make it to the top as we were breaking trail all the way. We reached our turnaround time before we reached the top. I think we only got to 3300 or so feet. No sign of a previous hiker.

Sleeveless