Carter Dome....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJim

Reaction score
Supposed to do Carter Dome March 19th... I've never been there. Anyone got tips, suggestions, personal experience with this climb? Thanks in advance!
Capt. Jim

Day hike...

Day hike... I usually hike solo so I can set my own pace without worrying about holding others up, but this time I'm supposed to go with some folks from EMS. I called them yesterday and they still havent decided on a plan... that's why I figured I'd ask you guys/gals and then make some suggestions to them based on the groups experience/abilities and equipment. Doesn't matter to me if it's a up&down or loop.

Personally I'd like the shortest route to the summit even if it means the steepest climb. I figure the sun will set behind the Presidentials before actual sunset time, so that could be an issue if we don't get an early start. I'll be driving from Mt Wachusett (MA) that morning... doing the hike and driving back home after, so time is a factor.

Also... snowshoes, crampons or both? I'd much rather hike on packed snow/ice in crampons than soft snow in snowshoes... but I have both.

The only info I've been able to find so far is some trail distances, but nothing actually telling me TOTAL distance from parking to summit. I know it's 4832' to the top but can't find vertical ascent info anywhere either. I'm assuming we'll have to start at Route 16?? Thanks again... I'm sure I'll be asking more as the date approaches and they give me more info.

Capt. Jim

Carter Dome isn't that big a dayhike. Going in via 19 Mile Brook and the Carter Dome trail in March should give you plenty of daylight, unless you have to break trail.

Definately go to Mt Hight, which has better views than Carter Dome.

Winter trip report

-dave-

from Central MA

Leave home by 6AM, you should be fine. I live 30 min south of you and that dayhike is good as long as I leave well before sunrise. Via the C.Dome trail is fastest and least steep, and seldom requires crampons except maybe for the little bit around Mt Hight if you go that way. But it is a little boring sometimes. If you want to hit Carter Notch Hut first for a break, allow more time (on trail by 9 AM at the latest). Via Carter Notch it is longer AND steeper as the short climb out of the Notch is typically a crampon festival (I've done it once with, once without, MUCH easier with). But, more variety and more fun. One of my favorite loops is up 19MB to the hut, up and out of the notch, over to Mt Hight and down C.Dome back to 19 MB. This route is likely to be broken unless there is a big dump within 3 days before your hike. A longer day though, perhaps a lot to bite off with the round trip drive. And always bring a headlamp, this is my insurance that I will get out in daylight. Enjoy!
PS- looking at your link, the map is the route I just described. Popular. Fun. Don't miss Mt Hight unless the weather is extremely bad.

Last edited:
Thanks all...

Thanks Dave... as always I read your site before I do anything ;) Everything I've heard leads me to believe Mt Hight is a nicer view ... hope they include it in our plans (weather, time & group abilities permitting). I'm not too worried about my own abilities... I'm a slow steady hiker. Don't go real fast but I can go on and on and on....

Weatherman... so the link showing that topozone map is what you described? Sounds like a good loop and has the option of adding Mt Hight. So total loop is about 10 miles with Mt Hight added???

If you go to the hut, the Carter-Moriah trail comes up straight to the Carter Dome summit. From there you can go to Zeta Pass via Mt Hight or around Mt Hight. Once you get to Zeta Pass you descend via the Carter Dome trail back down to the 19 Mile Brook trail.

If you are worried about time, go up and down the Carter Dome trail. If you feel like you have more time, go to the hut, then up the steep Carter-Moriah trail to Carter Dome, and return via the Carter Dome trail. Either way you have the option to hit Mt Hight.

-dave-

CaptainJim said:
Everything I've heard leads me to believe Mt Hight is a nicer view...

No contest. Mt Height is a sharp summit in just the right place to view the Prezzies. Carter Dome is so rounded that you can't see anything close by and the view of the Prezzies is partially blocked by Wildcat.

Did a loop over most of Carter Ridge last winter in absolutely beautiful weather. We spent an hour drinking in the view from Mt. Height and didn't bother going over to Carter Dome. Would have been anti-climatic. (The ridge between them is basically flat.)

Doug

According to the WMG, it's 10 miles, either as a loop or up & back. I was on South Carter yesterday going up 19 Mile, Carter Dome to Zeta Pass & then north to South Carter instead of south to Carter Dome. It's 2400 of gain to Zeta Pass (500 more to South Carter at 4430) Carter Dome trail really does not give any elevation away so just doing the math, it's very close to 3,350 gain. (don't have the WMG with me but I looked at it last night for South Carter numbers)

If you go up to Carter Notch it may be another 100 feet of gain as 19 Mile does descend a little bit from the Height of hand in Carter Notch to the start of the Carter Moriah Trail. Likewise going over Hight will add a little bit of elevation gain but not much as the col between Hight & Carter Dome is very shallow.

My Preference for Carter Dome if I was going in March with a group to help break trail if needed, The loop, see all of the mountain, I'd go up 19 mile to Carter Notch & down over Hight. Crampons I'd have to think are a definite if going up or down Hight. (have not done C-DOme in WInter but early April 1998 & snow soft enough going up Hight that I could kick steps, I descended Carter Dome Trail.)

I would also strongly recommend Mt Height. Since time is a factor, I'd hike straight up there, then over to Carter Dome if time allows.
Check here for recent trail conditions reports as your hike day approaches. If there hasn't been any new snow between your hike day and a weekend, you probably won't need snowshoes. You'll probably find well-packed trails, in which case I prefer 4-point crampons for traction. Just that slight slip of your bare-boot adds up to alot of fatigue on the calves and ankles.
Definately bring a flashlight, but if the sky is clear the 9-day old Moon (on March 19th) will be high overhead as darkness falls to light your way out of the forest. You'll have a good chance to hear owls.

Thanks Forestnome

I agree with you about the crampons... seem no matter what boots I wear if there's any snow or ice I seem to take two steps foward and slide back one, rhetorically of course. But in all seriousness I do seem to be doing a LOT more work without them. I just get such a better purchase on each step with crampons that I wear them any time there is enough snow to justify them.

Thanks for the info... the opinion seems to be unanamous about Mt Hight being the better of the two :)

Capt.Jim

My thoughts:

The best way to go is 19-Mile to Carter Dome Trail to Zeta Pass, Carter-Moriah Trail up over the fantastic views of Mt Hight and through the col, over the summit of the Dome, down steeply into the Notch, stop at the Hut for a quick hot cocoa, then all the way down 19-Mile.

You will need snowshoes and crampons. The most difficult section will be the drifted area in the Hight/Dome col. The last 1/4 mile of the descent into the Notch is very steep, but crampons will serve you fine here. I've also glissaded it but don't recommend it since the turns are very short and you gain speed very quickly.

Going out 19-Mile in the dark with a good headlamp is not a problem - the trail is wide, impossible to lose, and a beautiful night/winter route. There is one spot on 19-Mile where you will want some type of foot traction as it's very close to the brook bank and sidesloped steeply.

HikerBob just did this loop (bypassing Mt Hight, though) - take a look over in the Trip Reports section and follow the link to his pictures.

I'll be up on the Dome this weekend (for about the 9th time). :D

Yup, as MichaelJ says - I just did the loop up the easy way and down the steeps, that's up on 19 Mile Brook, Carter Dome to Zeta Pass, along the ridge to the Dome then down the steeps to the hut and out on 19 Mile Brook.

As far as "How long?" It took me a shade under 9 1/2 hours including all stops, picture taking and solo trailbreaking with too short a snow shoe (I *should* have taken the 30's <sigh>) I'm slow so this is a worst case scenario time :rolleyes:

Everything depends on the weather, but even if reports say the trail is broken out I'd take snowshoes and crampons. You *could* bareboot the steep section up/down from the Notch but crampons add a good measure of safety.

I bypassed Height on the way up because it was completely unbroken, figuring I'd do it on the way back. Then I changed plans and went down to the Notch and out on the 19 mile Brook trail.

19 Mile Brook gets a lot of traffic because of the hut so is almost certainly going to be well packed out. I bare-booted 19 Mile Brook all the way in and out, barely left a mark :)

A great loop (well, lolipop really) hike I'll probably do over many times.

If you don't mind seeing previews of the trip, my pics for this hike can be found starting HERE

Bob

So ... as of today (Sunday 2/27):
19-Mile was completely broken out. Bare boots and easy walking.
Carter Dome Trail looked somewhat broken out but you probably want snowshoes.
Wildcat Ridge was drifted over at the Notch.
Carter-Moriah was drifted over at the Notch.
And that's all I can tell you. It was 2° and 30mph winds in the Notch, -8°F and 60-80mph winds on Mt. Washington so we did not attempt to go up the Dome. :(

Watch for a full trip report, coming soon to a VFTT forum near you!