Chaffing, it hurts.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick said:
I could just see my wife holding up a pair of pantyhose she found in a tent pocket

That was what fot me started wearing them on all my winter trips... And then I found out that it REALLY DOES work...

....which is a lot more than I can say about this bra I wear, which is supposed to keep my good warm.

Last edited:
Vaseline works pretty well for me on the arms, which sometimes chafe when running. Gold Bond is good on the feet. Helps keep them dry and reduces blisters. And I won't discuss the pantyhose. And I would get the whole thread deleted if I even tried to discuss post #14.

Pete_Hickey said:
That was what fot me started wearing them on all my winter trips... And then I found out that it REALLY DOES work....
I just got finally comfortable wearing running tights. BTW, What shade do you wear - Control top?? French cut?? :D Thanks for a Great laugh on A rough day old buddy!!!!!

I get chafing of the inner thighs when I hike but panty hose will fix that. I also get nipple rash when I run but now I can cure that by wearing a bra. Tell me Pete, what should I do for hemorroids?

A brief word from our sponsor, and then back to the jocularity:

The Gold Bond you want is the Gold Bond Triple Action Medicated Powder in the green container. (The other Gold Bond powder, in the gold container, is OK but only until you can get the hardcore stuff.) Good for thighs, good for feet, and, ummm, well, let your immediate need and your imagination guide you.

I use it to treat chafing and occasionally as a preventive. I don't apply it all that often, but if I see the faintest hint of chafing I'll make a preemptive strike. A single application will do wonders for most circumstances. YMMV.

OK, rauc' on -----

Pete_Hickey said:
I find that I have chaffing problems if I gain a bit of weight. When I loose a bit, I never have the problem.

I have to disagree with this. I mean, it might work for some people, but some of us have damn big legs. I am <11% body fat, and still get some chafing between me bits and me thighs. Vasoline works really well, as well as bacitration (sp.) ointment. Good thing abou the bacitration is that it kills bacteria, and works in conjunction with your first aid. (2 uses in 1!) I have also tried desitin, stings at first, then sooths, works pretty good. You might also try Neosporin, which has pain releiver in it.

-percious

I have to disagree with this. I mean, it might work for some people, but some of us have damn big legs.

My thighs are kinda big for my size but this still holds true for me. If I'm biking or running alot my legs change shapes slightly and I tend to lose part of my inner thigh. When this is the case I've experienced no chaffing. If I'm only hiking on weekends or not as often I tend to gain just enough on the inside of my thighs to create a rub. Just my experience.

summit1 said:
You could always use DUCT TAPE. It works for everything else, why not chafing? ;)
Just wondering...
Do you recommend shaving the area before applying the duct tape?

Post #14 made me think about hiking in a kilt.

Polypro boxers and Body Glide. MEC sells them both. I've seen a tiny sized one at "Running Room" in Ottawa. ( I know your pack weight concerns).

I know you have the polypro boxers after your story of only hiking in them.

-Shayne

I use something called Mexanna that I bought at Sams Club. stuff works awesome. Its a powder without cornstarch in it.. its talc and works best.. IMHO.

Don't bag the balm

The wonder cream is BAG BALM, in the little green can. Rumor has it, that it also helps with the "fire you know where". Happy applications. Reekee

A&D Ointment

works really well for me. I use it before hiking or before biking. I put it on after showering and drying off. It's cheaper than bacitracin or neosporin, but those work well, too. I carry one or the other of them in my first aid kit (bacitracin or neosporin, not the A&D) while hiking and biking, so it's there if I need it on multiple day hikes.

summit1 said:
You could always use DUCT TAPE. It works for everything else, why not chafing? ;)

You have to put it on when your skin is dry and not sore. If you wait until your on the trail and start to feel sore then your skin will never get dry enough for it to stick well.