Charles Houston - obit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He literally "wrote the book" on high altitude effects on the human body - and he didn't do all his research in a lab. A real-life legend...

Charles Houston

Charles Houston was a legend, but more than that, he was a wondeful human being. After hearing his presentation of "Brotherhood of the Rope" at UVM with Brad Washburn, a couple of years ago I spent a delightful hour in his home in Burlington, VT. The excuse was to get his inscription on his book, but I so much enjoyed the time with this gentle man, who was so interested in MY activities in the mountains, rather than just telling of his own. At the time he was physically compromised, but so alert and personable, and the memory of that visit will stay with me forever. They don't make 'em like that any more.
Rest in peace, Charlie.
John

And, then there were none; Brad Washburn, Bob Bates, and Charlie Houston were three of the great ones. My last project with Bob and Charlie was brokering 40 reprint copies of their books 'Five Miles High' and 'K2: Savage Mountain,' which they graciously autographed with all proceeds going to the organization of their choice, the American Alpine Club. I have heard so many great stories from my climbing friends who served as human subjects for Charlie's high-altitude physiology studies at the 17,000-ft camp on Mt. Logan that I sometimes felt that I was there myself; certainly wish that I had been. But, my fondest memory was attending a late afternoon "tea" at 5 Joy Street sponsored by the A.M.C. about a decade ago in which these three fine gentlemen entertained us for over 2 hours talking about their experiences on the great mountains of the world.

This is sad news. Anyone who ever had the pleasure of meeting or just talking with him will surely miss him.