Check out this rescue video how to...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of reminded me of last summer when Swamp, Carmel, and I were in seas a little heavier than that and with breaking waves and within 30 seconds all three of us were in the water. Good thing Swamp was on a sit on top and he was able to help Carmel and I get back in our boats. Rescue in seas like that are tough, but getting back in your boat isn't the hardest part. After you are back in, your boat is full of water and it is really unstable. Slightest mistake and you are right back over. It takes a long time to pump out a boat when you are dealing with heavy seas.

BTW, that was the day Carmel totem poled her boat into a sand bar in about 4' of water. The bow of the boat dug right in and Carmel was hanging out of the cockpit with the boat straight up in the air. She was hanging there until the next 4' wave slammed into the back of her boat and completed her total cartwheel. Impressive.

Anyway, you do not know how to do rescues until you do it in heavy seas. I have always made sure my kayaling partners and I practice our rescues. I thought I was pretty good at it. I had even practiced in strong current, high wind, and some choppy 1' white caps. I had never done it for real in 3'-4' breaking waves though. We got some tough education that day.

Paddle safe.

Aloha

- darren

ps: yes, I had left the new VHF radio at home that day.

Last edited:
We practice self and assisted rescues on the Niagara River or Lake Erie in calm, controlled conditions with sombody in the water in case there is a problem with the wet exit. I appreciate the additional benefits of doing that in rough seas and deeper water, but it's much more dangerous. I don't consider it practice if it's (I assume) farther from shore, in deep water, and without a spotter in the water - it's the real thing. The only difference between a "practice" like what seems to be occuring in the video and an accidental capsize is the thought process (absence of surprise). If we manage to get a day where the lake is rough, we'll practice, but it will be in a similar controlled (safe) location like we've done previously. Next week, a few of us are headed up to Tobermory for some paddling on Lake Huron - maybe we'll have occasion to use our skills there. :cool:

Yah, but the deal with rescues, solo and assisted, is that learning it or practicing it in calm water is good for beginners only. After that, when are you ever going to flip your boat in flat water? In 15 years, I have never unintentionally flipped my kayak in flat water. The only time you are going to go over is when conditions are bad.

That is why I have tried to do rescue practice in marginal conditions in fairly controlled situations. For example I'll try to find strong current that will present a challenge, but not smash you on rocks or put you in the middle of a boating channel. Or get in an area that has 1-2' chop but you culd always bail and swim/tow the kayak to a nearby beach.

Even after doing practice time in situations like that, we still got our butts handed to us when we found ourselves in the real deal. I think if I hadn't done rough water practice then it would have been worse. In fact if Swamp hadn't been there with a sit on top kayak it would have been a lot worse. Solo re-entry was near impossible for me even with my prior practice. Of course, without my prior experience I don't think we would have put ourselves in that situation to begin with, but I guess that is a catch 22 discussion.

Bottom line, flat water rescue practice is only good for flat water rescues. Don't think you can do a re-entry in 4' seas because you can do it on flat water.

Aloha

- darren

I disagree - the technique is the same, and the level of difficulty is much less on calm water, but the risk of "practicing" rescue in bigger seas is much higher. Tell a beginner paddler that you want him/her to turn upside down and slip out underwater. I have difficulty getting "experienced" creek and canal paddlers onto the moving water of the Niagara River on a calm flat-water day. Any rescue drills are for experienced paddlers or more adventurous beginners who want to add a larger margin of safety to their sport. Doing wet exits in rough water conditions is much more dangerous, unless it's near a safe-landing/sandy beach and medical assistance (911 response availability, access road, etc.) just in case your fun practice turns into a broken limb or possible drowning of a participant. I'm all for practicing rescue techniques in controlled situations, whether it's flat water or big waves, as long as there is an option for life-saving efforts by a 3rd party if something goes wrong. It's judgement call as to whether the benefits of practicing rescue with a thinner safety margin is worth the additional risk to everyone there.

Those of us who are paddling on Lake Huron/Georgian Bay next week have practiced rescue several times, including self and various types of assisted rescue. We all carry throw or tow lines and safety gear. If one of us, or worse, more than one of us capsizes in heavy seas, we know the drill and I’m confident the techniques we have practiced will be the same there, but with a much higher level of difficulty. We had one paddler who liked to go out solo every week, even during Buffalo’s long cold winters. Seeing how difficult even a flat-water self-rescue in warm water could be, she discontinued her solo winter paddle outings. That alone could very well have saved her life by preventing cold water immersion with no likely speedy rescue option.

Last edited:
I can see practicing this with a spoter, nuts without. Perhaps that was the case with this video? I'm sure these guys were no greenies. I know for certain I'd never try it without backup.

The video doesn't show a spotter, which to be of any use, would have to be in the water or at least in a third kayak adjacent to the other boats. If the person shooting the video was the spotter, he/she was too far away. Too many questions to draw any hard conclusions from the short clip anyway.

Doing wet exits in rough water conditions is much more dangerous, unless it's near a safe-landing/sandy beach

That is exactly what I said I have done in the past so I am not sure what you are disagreeing with.

It is one thing to practice in rough water where escape is nearby. It would be another thing altogether to experience a wet exit in rough water for the first time when it is the real deal and a safe quick way out is not an option.

What I am saying, and I guess somehow it is lost, is if you have never practiced wet exit / re-entry in rough water then you shouldn't be in rough water. You should seek out an area of rough water that allows you to swim to shore or proximity to a boat spotter, or go with rated instructors and practice rough water rescues so you will not panic when it is the real deal.

Saying "the technique is the same as on flat water" is like saying you are ready for glacier travel because you walked around in your new crampons in the parking lot of REI. Yah, it was flat, but the technique is the same, right?

- darren

ps: as for the camera guy, he is close enough in my mind to be a spotter. I just hope he is better with the paddle than he is with the camera, because he sucks as a cameraman.

I agree with most of that. Although we haven't yet had rough water on the days we practiced, I did accidentally capsize on Lake Erie once while we were playing in the waves in a gap just outside a breakwall. Coincidentally, that is the only time I have capsized and the only time I've gone out without my paddle float (Murphy's Law). We had not yet learned assisted rescue techniques, so we than had a real opportunity for my 2 friends to rescue me. I held onto my kayak while another paddler towed me away from the breaking waves and inside the harbor, where we found a ladder conveniently attached to the wall. Since then, we have practiced several more times, and acquired some gear to make assisted rescues easier and, more importantly, faster.

Last edited:
The good thing about these rescues is that as long as the rescuer or the rescuee know what they are doing it is easy to walk them through it - granted they are close enough and are not freaking out. In the case of the video it seems like the cameraman was teaching the rescuer tips and techniques, which leads me to think that the rescuer is fairly new to the business.

Rescues are great, but I'm glad I have a roll for situations like this.

Nothing fancy. Some of us now carry a long 1" cam strap (or 2 straps joined) to slip over both cockpits to form a stirrup that aids the swimmer in gaining rapid re-entry without need for a paddle float. Others carry a short length of a foam "noodle" with a rope threaded through it that can be clipped onto a boat's rigging in place of using a long strap. The "noodle" can also be used as part of a solo rescue.

Some of us now carry a long 1" cam strap (or 2 straps joined) to slip over both cockpits to form a stirrup that aids the swimmer in gaining rapid re-entry without need for a paddle float.

Why do you need a paddle float for an assisted re-entry? Is that a typo or am I missing something? Paddle floats are only needed for solo re-entry.

- darren

I don't know about you, but without a stirrup of some sort, I can't climb onto the aft deck of a kayak without the benefit of an paddle float outrigger to climb onto. Was never able to just jump up out of the water. We don't do the sort of assisted rescue where the swimmer is scooped up or otherwise gets into a fully swamped cockpit.

I was trained to only use the paddle float / outrigger to keep the boat from rolling while doing a solo re-entry. For assisted re-entry, the second kayaker is holding your boat steady so it cant roll over and I just haul myself out of the water and onto the aft deck no problem. No outrigger or float is required at all. I have taught it the same way to at least a dozen people and they have all done it no problem. It is so much easier because the upright kayaker is holding both paddles (across the kayaks) and you don't have to deal with holding onto your paddle and you can just grab the kayak with both hands and hop up.

- darren

I was trained to only use the paddle float / outrigger to keep the boat from rolling while doing a solo re-entry. For assisted re-entry, the second kayaker is holding your boat steady so it cant roll over and I just haul myself out of the water and onto the aft deck no problem. No outrigger or float is required at all. I have taught it the same way to at least a dozen people and they have all done it no problem. It is so much easier because the upright kayaker is holding both paddles (across the kayaks) and you don't have to deal with holding onto your paddle and you can just grab the kayak with both hands and hop up.

- darren

Darren and Bob -

I'm relatively new to kayaking, and know I need to take some lessons to learn some of these rescue techniques - but, I have a question. I have a rudder on my boat, doesn't that make an aft entry difficult?

I'd love to see you and Bob put together a clinic for us novices here - ever consider something like that?

Normal conditions, the assisted rescue that Darren describes would not include a paddle float.

A rudder would generally prohibit trying to seal launch to the very back of your kayak, but in general, you can try to straddle the kayak for a "Cowboy reentry" from the rear side of the kayak, not necessarily the very back, which is kind of tough to do anyway, I've tried it and works.

When you are get up on the kayak and throw your leg over the hull, keep your legs out, a natural tendency to grasp the kayak with your legs makes you more unstable (kind of think of the tightrope walker and the use of the balancing pole), so keep those legs out when you try to move your butt towards the cockpit.

Jay

WW - we'v enever organized a "clinic", but we have had many VFTT kayak weekends (I've hosted a few at my house) and we have had beginners join us and everyone is always happy to share tips etc.

Before jumping (or as J calls it, seal hauling) up onto the back deck, if the rudder is up on the deck you can always just grab it with you hand and pull it down. Otherwise you are going to risk getting a face full of metal.

Once you get good with that then you can practice the T-rescue, which allows you to pass your boat up over the deck of the other kayak so he/she can dump all the water out, flip it back upright, and then slide it back into the water...it is always nice to get back into a boat that doesn't need to be pumped out.

Look into taking a local class. You can really learn a lot in one day. Certainly enough to keep you busy practicing for a while.

- darren

That's great, but like I said, I can't jump out of the water onto the deck. Check back with me in 20 years and let me know how your jumping skills are doing! :rolleyes: As has been mentioned, when I refer to getting up on the aft deck, it's from the side. The solo entry attained by jumping up onto the stern, straddling the boat, and working your way up to the cockpit is the traditional Cowboy entry (doesn't work well with a rudder), and is difficult for many people (no float, no assistance, etc.), requiring either a wide stable boat or a great sense of balance, especially on rough water. I can't do that either.
The forecast for this weekend up in Tobermory includes some windy conditions on Lake Huron, so I might get to "practice" some more. :eek:

Last edited:
For us older paddlers, think stirup. I've tried that paddle float rescue and found it difficult getting up on the thing. I was shown how to use a stirup and belive me, it's much easier.

I don't put my stirup around the cowling as you'll see in the videos,

http://www.oceankayakingsafety.com/rescue videos.html

I sling it from the plastic that forms the side panel of my seat (on my float side). Once adjusted for your leg length, it's as easy as climbing stairs.

Last edited: