christmas gift certificate help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHiker

Reaction score
From various relatives in distant places I have received a total of xxx dollars in gift certificates from LL Bean. (the amount is irrelevant, its the thought that counts).

Anyway, since I don't shop there, I was wondering if anyone could offer me advice on what they have that is good and what to stay away from. I'd like to get some shirts made of synthetics so that older hikers on the trail will stop berating me with "cotton kills". And whatever else they sell that might be interesting.

I've always seen that place as carrying clothes for yuppies that want to look like they go outdoors, but the clothes are too nice or too expensive to actually get dirty. Any help will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Hi Steve,
Since you're not too far from Freeport why not take a half-day and head up to the store. They do still have a reasonable gear selection although I agree that they have mostly transformed into a yuppie-clothing store, and I've generally had a hard time finding gear in their catalogs or even their website. In the store they have most hard goods you could want as well as some synthetic clothing, but they don't necessarily have every brand name.

Also, when I've used a gift certificate with them online before and not used the whole amount...they've sent me a check for the unused portion. Then you can go and spend it anywhere. On their website click on "Outdoor gear and apparel" to see what they have. But I really think they have more in the store than on the website. Haven't been there in a long while though...
Good luck.
-vegematic

Freeport is definitely worth the trip. Northface and Patagonia also have outlets there and Delorme is a must. Paddlers will not want to pass up Lincoln Kayak, either, if you like to kick the tires, so to speak..

LL Bean is no more yuppified than REI, EMS or the rest of them. The gear is what you make of it and LL Bean was around long before most outdoor stores (Kittery Trading Post, too) ... both long catering first to a market about as far from yuppieville as you can get. LL Bean, I believe, has a discount store in Concord and in Freeport, about a block from the main store.

Stan has a good tip on the "LL Bean Factory Outlet" near the parking lot downhill from the big store. Check out the outlet first -- good deals on some skis and backpacks right now -- before heading up to the big store. They've moved hunting'n'fishing to a separate building now, but it's still worth a visit if you're into "traditional sports" -- that's where they got their start.

(No attacks on hunting and fishing, please. At least not in this thread.)

I was in Freeport a few weeks ago and reasonably impressed with what Bean had to offer in the way of gear. They do cater to the young urbanites but they also make good stuff. Backpacker consistently rate their gear in a positive manner and when it comes to base layer apparel, it's tough to tell brands apart these days (I prefer Bergelene but like Capilene, not sure what Bean's 'lene' is but I'm sure that it works).

Definitely cruise up there and check it out. If nothing else the store itself is impressive, than you can go to the Patagucci and Cloudveil outlet afterward.

I live about 5 minutes or so from the main store and the outlet so I am a frequent visitor. The outlet store is great for finding those unexpected bargains but don't plan on finding what you looking for or even your size. The main store has a great selection of equipment and outdoor gear and I usually can find what I'm looking for. Clothing on the other hand is a different story. It does seem as though the styles are geared towards looking good as opposed to functionality and usefulness. For example why are they making winter outdoor jackets without hoods? They do have a great selection of long underwear, hats, gloves, etc. I would suggest deciding what it is that you want and then checking out the website for specifics. But than again a road trip could be a lot of fun too. Happy shopping!

I can say that 75% of all my hiking and camping gear has come from llbean on line. I have never been disappointed. The "mountain guide" line of clothing ( shell, fleece) in my opinion parallels some of the top of the line gear from other manufacturers that I have compared them too, but for less money. They do have some decent polartec powerdry base layers. I know from looking at the catalogs you see someone stacking wood in a sweater that you would only wear out to the nicest restaurants but when you search the websites, they do have a decent supply of outdoor eqipment and non technical gear. I have never bought hiking boots from them as I wouldn't by footwear on line. However I did get a nice pair of Asolo's 535's ? about four years ago when going up to the store in Freeport. Just my opinion. TJH

LL Bean makes a lot of honest-to-goodness outdoor clothing. They also make some crap to satisfy trendseekers.

As someone who spends a lot of time in the woods professionally and recreationally, I can attest to the durability of their clothing. Their boots, wool sweaters, and briar pants are among my favorites.

beyond much LL Bean casual clothing I own, I have several pieces that qualify as work clothing. It's reasonably priced, made well, and lasts a long time.

I almost always stop there (outlet first) on my way home from the south... In fact, I was there yesterday. I got a LL Bean cashmere sweater for Christmas. It wasn't really my bag, so I returned it and got 2 new wool sweaters, a pair of pants, a sweater for my better half, and $25 back... no receipt, no problem (even though it's now on sale for about 50%)

We have another outlet up here in Ellsworth, but it's hard to beat the 1-2 punch in Freeport...

spencer

Wow.

Thanks for all the responses. I've been to the store in Concord once and wasn't too impressed. I guess a trip to Freeport might be worth it. I didn't realize they carried real outdoor stuff.

The Concord LL Bean outlet store constantly changes its outdoor gear, sometimes really good, sometimes so-so, sometimes mainly porch & deck wear. They had a killer deal on Specialized mountain bikes a few years back. Not top-of-the-line Shimano components but up there. It's worth cruising the place if it's not too far from you.

Their Microlight tent looks interesting to me... under 4 lbs, 119$

I did a comparison on their "Mt Washington" sleeping bags and when considering all factors (materials, weights, price) the EMS mountain light bags are a much better deal. Beans is now carrying some Mountain Hardwear gear now though...

Thousands of dollars of gear later,I find that almost all the gear stores(EMS,REI,Kittery Outlet,LL Bean) are somewhat the same. They have the good stuff,and the yuppie stuff,and you have to sift through and find what works for your need and budget. I like LLB,it's a fun store to shop in,but it's a little pricier than most. They also have a nice selection,and the outlet can be a bargain if you hit it right.
From several years of kayaking,and winter backpacking,I've found that it's generally cheaper to buy the best gear you can afford,beacuse you're less likely to "outgrow" it. We could outfit 2 other people with the stuff we bought early on,and now don't use anymore! Winter camping 4 miles in is no time to find that your bargain gear is crap.
Past couple of years,I have bought Mountain Hardwear stuff and I like it.

Gift Cert

Have you ckd out LLBeans online store? I believe you may be able to use your certificates on line also. I know you can w/ many other retailers.

KayakDan said:
Thousands of dollars of gear later,I find that almost all the gear stores(EMS,REI,Kittery Outlet,LL Bean) are somewhat the same. They have the good stuff,and the yuppie stuff,and you have to sift through and find what works for your need and budget.
While this should not be a determining factor, it may be a tie-breaker - If you use LLBean's issued Visa card shipping to anywhere is free and you get a rebate from LLB on all your credit purchases on that card, regardless of where you use it. REI has a similar offer and these are the only two cards I own. I do all my gift shopping that way as well as personal items.

LLB has long been known for its very liberal return and replacement policy. I personally know of several instances where for example a 10+ year old jacket blew a zipper, and they replaced the entire jacket with a brand new one for free.

Last edited:
....adding to this thread, I don't think you can go wrong with L.L Bean. I purchased a Gore TEx Bivy Bag a few years ago (can't recall the exact price, but it was around $130.00 ??). Anyway, the price and quality could not be beat. I also purchase most of my Dress shirts from them as I take a 17 1/2 inch neck, which is tough to find in most Dept Stores.

Bottom line...a good place to get/use a gift certificate :D :D

Since you are in Hooksett, the Concord store is definitely worth dropping by. I worked in Concord for years and stopped by the store often - what they have in useful outdoor gear depends on what people are returning. It can be feast or famine and the extent of markdowns is variable. My guess is that with post-Christmas returns coming in, now would probably be a decent time to check it out (and there are often good deals on things you might want to use when not outdoors).

I stopped in the North Conway store this past weekend on my way home and LL beans was having a sale...

2 pairs jeans
1 thick cotton turtleneck sweater
1 pair nylon wind pants
1 pair W/B Entrant 3/4 zip light hiking pants
1 pair Smartwool Trekking socks

Total = $130