Clay 8/15/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardsgirl

Reaction score
I have long wanted to climb Mt. Clay for the Trailwrights 72, but deep snow and poor conditions above treeline always made me turn around. Since no snow was forecasted this past weekend, I decided to give it a try. My BF and I left the Jewell Trail parking lot at 9:00am. There was little traffic on the Jewell, it seemed that most people were hiking up the Ammonoosuc.

Today was the anniversary of the first time my BF and I met (on the Twinway) 16 years ago. A glacier left us a congratulatory message:

3833874138_ac982907e6.jpg

Jewell/Gulfside intersection

After spending the night under clear skies strewn with meteors, we caught a gorgeous sunrise over the Carters.

3833079651_c6c77e415a.jpg

Sunrise

Our peaceful trip was only interrupted by one passing train.

On our descent, my BF took a swim in the larger of the Lakes of the Clouds. We happily avoided a lot of hiker traffic by descending the AMT while the bulk of the hikers were on the Washington summit. It was a fine weekend, although I still would prefer the snow.

Last edited:
Yep, nice sunrise shot! I'm glad someone enjoyed the meteors that were flashing about on the other side of my wall of clouds. :)

Looks like you had a beautiful clear day
& a very nice trip
we were over on Jefferson on that day~ picture perfect!

That picture with the Cog behind you is awesome!