Climate Change in the Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,

Mark Driscoll, for your concise (and correct) explanation. Gotta love good stoichiometry and mass balance. We chemists sure do.

The hydrogen car? Here's my idea. Let's do some elementary nuclear physics first. The math is simple. Take some deuterium, an isotope of hydrogen, each atom has 1 proton, 1 neutron and 1 electron. The stuff is everywhere, cheap. I'll just put two of these atoms together to make an atom of helium, 2 protons, 2 neutrons, 2 electrons. Simple, eh? So I'll put two kilograms of deuterium in my hydrogen car, run it through some sort of a cell/reactor and spew out nothing but helium. But, and this is important, someone realized a while back, I think it was 1905, that if you did this, those two kilograms of deuterium make only about 1.99 k of helium plus a "little" bit of energy. So now I have a hydrogen (deuterium) car that produces less than it consumes and makes some energy to run the car. Too good to be true? Negative pollution and a solution to the world's helium shortage? Can you say e=mc²? Thank you, Dr. Einstein, you were a good student.

The above is an oversimplification, of course. Oh, we've even done the nuclear physics part in practice, except the result was that that "little" bit of energy vaporized entire Pacific atolls rather than just pushing our hyper-efficient car around town and up to the mountains. Ever hear of an H-bomb?

The solution to the world's energy problems and it's consequences, global warming, acid rain, shrinking glaciers, rising sea levels, and on and on, lies in our learning to harness the energy from the atomic nucleus safely, controllably and sustainably without creating new problems such as nuclear waste. New fuels are not the answer. Ethanol is a ruse, it's just another fossil fuel (carbon, hydrogen and, tada, it even comes with its own oxygen) in disguise waiting to be burned producing CO2, water, heat and even a few nitrogen oxides from the air. Hydrogen, can someone tell me where all this hydrogen, or deuterium, is going to come from? The laws of thermodynamics are pretty simple. There ain't no free lunch and even if there were, you'd still have to leave a tip. The energy used to electrolyze water or to catalytically crack a hydrocarbon to make hydrogen, is more than the energy we'll get back from burning the hydrogen or running it through a fuel cell. If this were not true, then I have a perpetual motion machine I'd like to sell you.

How then, can I make deuterium and get back more energy than I used to make it? Sounds like the laws of thermodynamics have been broken. Remember that little 0.01 k that was "burned" up in my car. e=mc² again. No laws broken. Stoichiometry and mass (energy) balance.

The bottom line is this. The only true source of energy is in the nucleus of the atom. We use this energy now from nuclear (fission) reactors but that has its problems. We use this energy from the sun (fusion) through wind, photovoltaic, hydroelectric generators. Even the energy contained in the fuels we burn, fossil, plant, etc. ultimately came from the sun. So, as soon I've finished building my little deuterium fusion reactor, I'll be off to Stockholm to get my Nobel prize.

Anybody here ever hiked in Sweden? Gotta keep this on topic after all, right?

[/ramble]

teejay

Last edited:
teejay said:
Anybody here ever hiked in Sweden? Gotta keep this on topic after all, right?

[/ramble]

teejay

Ja, I have! Gotta love those long days in June up near the Arctic circle. But the topic is climate change in the Northeast.
:D

Hmm. More global warming talk. I did a research project on it a few years back so I've heard all the arguments. I'm a little discouraged with the Northeast Climate Change PDF file. There are 7 pages of doom and gloom, and 1 page of solutions. It almost makes it sound like they are saying...well we're screwed, and if you want to try to help, here is something you may be able to do to remedy the situation.

I think we also have to remember that these are worst case scenarios that the article is bringing up, even the lower emissions. I would like a meteorologist's opinion on this one, but if our temperature raised 14 degrees in less than 100 years, I would think that world would end. The numbers given are so ridiculous that it makes me wonder if they are accurate. I don't ever remember hearing of a 14 degree rise. The highest I heard was 5 to maybe 7 degrees, which would be bad enough.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that human enhanced global warming is a reality, but I think this article is painting a much more grim picture to get our attention. And as much as humans think that we can predict weather long term, its impossible. All one can do is vaguely hypothesize. Reality is that temperatures will be warm, cold, heavy rain and snow will fall, and it will vary greatly from year to year. Look at the crazy rain we're recieved the last few years. Global warming? Maybe...Anyways I am going off on a tangent a little bit.

I think that as long as humans do their part in attempting to stop it, I think we'll be ok. Humans are fairly adaptive, and we'll get used to the changes. It may mean heavy loss of life, but we'll make it. It may spell a major inconvienience, but as long as we are proactive things will be allright.

Again we are inconvienienced....the potential for loss of life, more rain, more/less snow, drought, less snow in our beloved mountains. But at least the mtns will always be there.

There is so much to talk about, and I only barely scratched the surface with my opinions. to sum up, I am a believer that global warming is a reality, and this article was written to shock us to get to be proactive, despite only having one page of possible solutions. The best part about the global warming debate is that there isn't enough evidence either way, so people can argue forever. And for another 20-30 years, we won't know.

grouseking

Congrats to TJ! He's the only one who's figured it out. Just like Jimmy Carter (a man who was trained in nuclear physics) told us 30 years ago, nuclear is the only real long term answer. Everything else is a gimmic. Do yourselves a favor folks and read THE LONG EMERGENCY... ;)

Ya gotta love how the blame for inefficient energy use as well as the responsibility to correct it is placed on the shoulders of consumers. As a consumer one can only use products and commodities available in the marketplace. Back in the 70's we faced a gas shortage. The government responded by increasing research into alternative energy sources. This plan was short-lived. They also offered tax breaks to homeowners for installing solar heating systems. These tax breaks disappeared rather quickly. Had these programs been pursued today's modern home might require little or no fossil fuel to heat.

Back in the 70's we faced a gas shortage. The government responded by increasing research into alternative energy sources. This plan was short-lived. They also offered tax breaks to homeowners for installing solar heating systems. These tax breaks disappeared rather quickly. Had these programs been pursued today's modern home might require little or no fossil fuel to heat.
Yes, the North Sea and Prudoe Bay discoveries allowed corporate interests to claim Carter was wrong about running out of oil. We now know he was right and these discoveries were anomolies. Non-fossil fuel solar energy is an illusion though. It's creation and maintenance is in fact completely and utterly petroleum based. And, of course, we are running out of oil - the only question is how soon. Most estimates put it at about 50 years. So, how can will we create or service (the batteries have to be replaced fairly often actually) solar panels when there is no more oil to make the components out of? We might also ask how food will even get packaged or to market when there is no readily available oil. Once you work through all the details, it is plain to see the huge problems posed not only by our reliance on petroleum based energy - but upon petroluem based plastics/synthetics products in all aspects of daily life as well. Thus, the predicament is not just how do we get ourselves off fossil fuel, but how do we wean ourselves off non-renewable (i.e., oil/fossil-based) products in every facet of life... :confused:

...Non-fossil fuel solar energy is an illusion though. It's creation and maintenance is in fact completely and utterly petroleum based...
I've heard of an architech who designed a passive solar house (in North Conway I think) with electric heat as back-up. He claims that the cost of electricity for heat is $75 per year. Passive solar technology requires no panels. It works by facing the building toward the southwest and calculating how much glass and overhang should be on each wall (based on the angle of the sun in a given region during hot and cold seasons).

We might also ask how food will even get packaged or to market when there is no readily available oil. Once you work through all the details, it is plain to see the huge problems posed not only by our reliance on petroleum based energy - but upon petroluem based plastics/synthetics products in all aspects of daily life as well. Thus, the predicament is not just how do we get ourselves off fossil fuel, but how do we wean ourselves off non-renewable (i.e., oil/fossil-based) products in every facet of life...

We might be a lot closer had we put more resources toward addressing these concerns 40 years ago instead of allowing corporate interests to maintain a chokehold on the economy.

mtnpa said:
We might be a lot closer had we put more resources toward addressing these concerns 40 years ago instead of allowing corporate interests to maintain a chokehold on the economy.

That's it in a nutshell, isn't it? Unfortunately most of us seem to be sheep easily mislead by corporate interests..... whether it be our taste in clothes, transportation, music, housing, recreation, government, etc. Our corporate conditioning is quite alarming in western society, to say the least, lol. :eek: :rolleyes:

I took organic chem in 1980 and I remember our prof saying that using fossil fuels for energy was like heating your home by burning 2 x 4's. All those carbon skeletons being wasted when they could be used to make stuff.

If we run out of oil and our civilization is at the risk of crashing down then there will be a lot less resistance (like none) to using nuclear power to fill our energy needs. We are utterly dependant on readily available cheap energy.

I like science fiction and imagine huge solar collectors in space that can beam the captured energy down to central collectors here on earth that hook into a power grid.

You folks really should read THE LONG EMERGENCY. It's all about thinking through - in a logical, empirical fashion/not an emotional, how do I feel about it manner - what will in fact happen we we run out of oil (which we are sure to do). It's not a particularly new book either...

Gris said:
what will in fact happen we we run out of oil (which we are sure to do).
Pragmatically, what will likely happen is that as the supply becomes short, the price will rise and sources that were uneconomical will come online. And non-fossil (or non-oil) sources are likely to be found or developed for the chemicals that we now derive from fossil (or oil) sources. (For instance, Germany generated a gasoline-like fuel from coal during WW-II when their sources of of oil were cut off.) This is likely to soften and/or delay the blow.

Of course, all this still requires energy (perhaps more than is currently used for the same task) which will have to come from somewhere. Or the economy could become energy limited...

Doug

The Long Emergency

Perhaps the most fascinating premise (one of many) of the book to me, was the proposition that the planet Eearth reached it's true limit for sustainable human population about 100 years ago. And... it was only by virtue of the introduction of a very transient (in the long view - since all the oil there ever was amounted to only about 150 years worth) and artificially cheap energy source that the Earth's population was able to expand exponentially. Of course, this means there will have to be widespread famine and attendant human suffering as the population shrinks back down to sustainable levels when this super cheap energy source starts to be depleted... :eek:

Pragmatically, what will likely happen is that as the supply becomes short, the price will rise and sources that were uneconomical will come online.
Not so fast. It's takes fossil fuel to get fossil fuel from the earth. Thus, you hit a point where it's no longer works - i.e., using more fuel to get less fuel... :(

Last edited:
Gris said:
Not so fast. It's takes fossil fuel to get fossil fuel from the earth. Thus, you hit a point where it's no longer works - i.e., using more fuel to get less fuel... :(
You mean like it is rumored to take more fossil fuel energy to create ethanol than you get from it? :) (Actually, :( )

Doug

PS, not all studies support the above contention.

Grim stuff, Neil

Quoted from the link provided by Neil:
The upshot of all this is that we are entering a historical period of potentially great instability, turbulence and hardship. Obviously, geopolitical maneuvering around the world's richest energy regions has already led to war and promises more international military conflict. Since the Middle East contains two-thirds of the world's remaining oil supplies, the U.S. has attempted desperately to stabilize the region by, in effect, opening a big police station in Iraq. .

Riveting article...all very grim...and this is the "upshot"?

and this is the "upshot"?
used as a synonym for "gist." ;)

ps - Global warming strikes again. The World Cup ski races scheduled for next weekend in Val d'Isere (France) and St. Moritz (Switzerland) were cancelled due to lack of snow. For the fisrt time in history the three first European races of the season were cancelled... :(

Last edited:
The pessimists echo voices of doom, the optimists chase technologies that can make life as we know it now seem "primitive". Advances in production, transportation and communications of the past century will pale when the wonders of nanotechnology are are harvested, provided they are used to serve us and not subjugate us. The progress of mankind will be measured not by our numbers but by our ability to love and serve one another.

The gist would be that we are participating in an emergency in slo-mo. Actors and audience both.

During a severe heat wave in France the other summer did not hundreds of people die so fast that the morgues of Paris were unable to handle the corpses? Refigeration trucks, ironically spewing more greenhouse gasses, had to be used to house the dead bodies. It makes you think that it is happening right now. Rather chilling.

Nanotech to the rescue?