Climber dies on Mount Hood

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
A woman climbing with her husband died Wednesday on Mount Hood when she was hit by large chunks of falling ice, Clackamas County authorities said.

Full story HERE.

In the article, the Hog's Back rock formation is mentioned. I seem to recall someone here mentioning this name in an earlier trip report. Giggy? JayH, Kevin?

Anyway, condolences to her friends and family.

Sad story. Warm temperatures may have caused the icefall, like we sometimes get during early April in Huntington Ravine (see Huntington threads from past couple of years).

Dr. D., like our last April trip when we had to dodge refrigerator sized chunks of tumbing ice travelling at 40 mph coming from Yale Gulley?:eek:

It's a sad story, but we all "choose" to play in the mountains which are especially dangerous in winter...

Hobbes, The "Hogsback" is the standard route up Hood, though most injuries and fatalities happen on the last few hundred feet up the steep slope dubbed "The Pearly Gates", which is past the "Hogsback".

My condolances also go out to the family, especially to the husband...

Hobbes, The "Hogsback" is the standard route up Hood, though most injuries and fatalities happen on the last few hundred feet up the steep slope dubbed "The Pearly Gates", which is past the "Hogsback".

Thanks for the info. I had also searched the forum after posting and found dozens of mentions of the Hogsback, most recently in a TR by Timmus, and several other threads by Giggy, Keven, etc. I thought the name sounded familiar, but not having climbed Hood yet, it was not permanently burned in my brain yet!

Hood's been the news in the past week. A few days ago a fellow was airlifted from about the same spot - broken ankle - by a helicopter. Turns out he was a member of the local SAR team who was training in the area (he wasn't part of the exercise), and so was rescued by his buds.

The west has been experiencing some odd weather in the past month or so. Lots of snow/rain in mid-December, and then a strong high pressure ridge parked over northern CA/southern OR. That gave us well-above normal temps here, but the strong circulation caused strong storms and very cold air to be sent eastward. I think it contributed to the icefall on Hood.

I did Baldy in the San Gabriels a couple of weeks ago. It's a peak about the same height as Hood, and as I was climbing thru the old ski bowl I had to dodge a bit of rockfall, something I surely wasn't expecting. Not being particularly familiar with Baldy, I don't know if that's a regular occurrence, or caused by the same conditions which is triggering icefall on Hood.

A few years ago a group of us (including a couple of VFtT members) were climbing Shasta in early June. As we were slogging up the steep slope between Lake Helen and Red Banks in the wee hours we were pelted with small chunks of mostly clear ice. Turns out conditions were such that the Red Banks had been heavily rimed over several days, and it was gradually falling off. Fortunately none of it was too large, but a chuck about the size of a baseball clocked Orsonab in the knee. I thought the climb was over, but fortunately he was able to continue on.

Anyway, large or small, there's a surprising amount of force in objects in hurtling down a mountain. As the old TV show says "Be careful out there".

Anyway, large or small, there's a surprising amount of force in objects in hurtling down a mountain. As the old TV show says "Be careful out there".

I still recall vividly the terrifying sound of small falling debris, something between a whistle and whirling sound, way back when I was ice climbing in the Tetons. In the Enclosure Couloir on the west side of the Grand, we tried to set up our belays under overhangs, but on a couple of occasions our belays were exposed to falling objects, fortunately small, probably coming from a distance over 1000 ft from the top of the couloir.

Here is an on-line calculator for computing terminal velocities; even a small object can split a hardhat open from 1000 ft, I think.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/termv.html