clueless about adk...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runnynose

Reaction score
i am completely unfamiliar with adk area hiking and am planning a 3 or 4 day wkd day-hiking trip end of april. i was wondering if adk-ers could suggest some trails/peaks of interest. we are experienced four season nh hikers and are comfortable with 15 mile day hikes, but for multiple consecutive day hikes would prefer 8 or 9 milers or one 12-15 and a shorter hike the following day. for someone visiting the white mts there are certain key hikes not to miss--lincoln/lafayette, presis--certain sites of interest, etc. what key spots would give us a flavor of the aks in 4 days??? :)
thanks in advance for any suggestions...

So many flavors to choose from! I'm assuming you're looking for drop-dead gorgeous views. In the high peaks, these come to mind to choose from:

1. Pyramid-Gothics, followed by Noonmark for a shorter hike the following day.
2. Haystack-Basin-Saddleback loop.
3. Skylight-Gray-Marcy.
4. Giant-Rocky Peak Ridge traverse.

Algonquin. Once you get there, you can add on Iroquois and/or Wright if you feel up to it.

Colden as its own, or as a long add on, is great too.

And Cascade and Porter for the short hike option.

So many places....so little time

At the risk of being redundant, here is an ADK trip on my short list of all-time favorites. There are many high peaks climbing options from this route as well as other summits that will give you a great introduction to the Adirondack Mountains.

Tahawus to ADK Loj via Avalanche Pass/Return via Indian Pass

This hike is by no means easy, but it is unforgettable and will give you a variety of challenging mountain hiking options as well as camping opportunities. Or you could just simply hike this route as a through trip enjoying unbelievable mountain passes without any 4000-foot sidetrips or camping and still enjoy every step.

If you have not been introduced to the interior of the Adirondack High Peaks region, this is a great opportunity to get up close and personal with the geography and trails of this rugged country. It is also an opportunity to sample the amenities and services of the Adirondack Mountain Club with an overnight stay at the Adirondak Loj at Heart Lake (near Lake Placid). The round trip will be approximately twenty-two miles (22) in length - slightly over your suggested daily mileage. The traverse will explore some of most spectacular scenery and “wild” places in the heart of the High Peaks Region.

The journey begins from the Upper Works near Newcomb, N.Y. Before departing, you may want to visit your local library for references such as The Indian Pass by Alfred Billings Street and The Story of Adirondac by Arthur H. Masten. These books narrate the fascinating history of the area. You will follow the Calamity Brook trail that passes the historic Henderson Monument, Flowed Lands and will lead you to the Interior Outpost at Lake Colden. Then you will continue to head north past the rugged beauty of Avalanche Lake - walking the historic “hitch-up Matildas” and viewing the awesome cleft that begins one of the most precarious slide ascents to any Adirondack summit - the Trap Dike. After pausing at the north end of the lake to reflect on what you just completed, you will ascend the spectacular narrow passage of Avalanche Pass where the route was raised fifty feet higher due to a huge avalanche from the north face of Mt. Colden. The last part of the first day’s trek will take you through the main staging area for many high peaks – Marcy Dam. You will complete this leg of the trip by hiking the VanHoevenberg trail to the HPIC (High Peaks Information Center). The rustic, but comfortable accommodations at the Adirondak Loj are a few minutes walk from the HPIC. Total distance for this section is approximately 11 miles with a minimal vertical ascent.

There are several opportunities to camp along the way: Flowed Lands, Lake Colden, Marcy Dam. There are also many mountain hiking options that can be realized from any one of the base camps suggested: Mt. Marshall, Mt. Colden, Phelps, the McIntyre Range from Lake Colden, Algonquin, Wright (from the Loj). You can even a enjoy a spectacular sunrise hike to Mt. Jo after your overnight at the Loj.

BTW, the interior camping areas of the High Peaks (especially the ones I mentioned - Flowed Lands, Lake Colden and Marcy Dam) all have a SERIOUS bear problem and bear canisters are now mandatory in the Eastern High Peaks Region.

The Loj respite will give you some good food, a warm bunk, a shower and a chance to regroup before making the return trip to the Upper Works trailhead through Indian Pass. There are lean-tos all along the route, but it is always wise to carry a tent in case there is no room at the "inn".

Regarding the ADK Loj, you can stay in the main co-ed bunkroom in the lodge. Included in the total cost is dinner on the evening of arrival and a hearty breakfast the next morning. A trail lunch (for the return trip) I think is still part of the package as well. Just call the Adirondak Loj (518-523-3441) for reservations and any dietary restrictions. The room and board cost is slightly more for non-members than members but the overnight rest/strategy is well worth the minimal expense. There is also a campground and lean-tos available on the mountain club's property.

Following breakfast after the Loj overnight, you will depart on the Indian Pass Trail that will take you on a southern route approximately 10.5 miles back to the Upper Works parking. Your route will pass by picturesque Rocky Falls and historic Scott’s Clearing. Then you will ascend into the incredibly beautiful Indian Pass. The sheer 1000-foot rock cliff of Wallface will dominate your view as you reach the top of the pass at summit rock. It is truly an unforgettable “walk on the wild side”.

This is a round trip hike covering a minimum of 22 miles without any other mountain options. This is not a trip to be underestimated, but it is one of the classic routes in the High Peaks.

Is there not a mud season restriction around about the end of April that askes people to stay off some of the above mentioned? What are the real goods about the mud season in the dacs? I am thinking of going to the whites instead of the dacs for spring hiking.

The crossing over from the Colden area to Indian Pass is a tough go lots of blow downs and a fairly hard to follow trail, at least that was the way I saw it last.

Pete Hogan said:
At the risk of being redundant, here is an ADK trip on my short list of all-time favorites. There are many high peaks climbing options from this route as well as other summits that will give you a great introduction to the Adirondack Mountains.

Tahawus to ADK Loj via Avalanche Pass/Return via Indian Pass

This hike is by no means easy, but it is unforgettable . . .

Yes! What a fabulous route suggestion that demonstrates there is more to Adirondack hiking than peakbagging.

G.

dreamstream said:
Is there not a mud season restriction around about the end of April that askes people to stay off some of the above mentioned? What are the real goods about the mud season in the dacs? I am thinking of going to the whites instead of the dacs for spring hiking.

The crossing over from the Colden area to Indian Pass is a tough go lots of blow downs and a fairly hard to follow trail, at least that was the way I saw it last.

Good to point out the mud season, something I forgot to take into account when posting. DEC usually posts specific problem areas (includes much of the high peak area) and alternatives.

Pete's route bypasses the crossover from Colden to Indian Pass and goes all the way to the Loj.

This is sometimes called the "toothbrush hike" referring to the lightness of your pack if you stay at the Loj and have dinner and breakfast prepared for you.They will even pack you up a bag lunch for the return.

As a side note: This past fall I made the loop from Upper Works, over the pass that goes between Marshall & Iroquois (referred to by different names) down to Lake Colden and out through Flowed Lands. The pass was very clear. No blowdown but very rocky. Rocks, rocks and more rocks. It was one of the very few hikes I've ever been on that afterwards the soles of my feet really ached.

Last edited:
The start of Mud Season in the Adirondacks can vary a bit as indicated by the issuance of the notices the last two years. It usually lasts into early June.
There are usually 3 of the Adirondack 46 that are on the recommended hikes during mud season:
Big Slide via the Brothers
Cascade, and Porter from the Cascade Lakes trailhead​
As Tom mentioned Cascade and Porter is a nice short day hike (even half day) with some big view rewards on Cascade.

I climbed Big Slide via the brothers once in mid-May. Despite heavy rain the night before the hike - the trail was not very muddy. There are many good views on the way up, and great views of the Great Range from the summit. The hike is a moderate day hike, and if it is still pre-mud season either of two loop returns past John Brooks Lodge are possible, the longer of which goes over Yard Mt (a 4K summit, but not on the 46er list).

Perhaps with some continued cold weather snow may prevail in the high peaks into April this year. Someone here on VFTT will post the DEC mud season advisory when it is issued this year.

I thought the main problem with mud season was not the mud at all. It was the thin soil up high that is partially frozen and partially thawed. When it’s in that state it becomes more susceptible to erosion from foot traffic. The Adirondacks are more prone to this due to the fact that the topsoil is so thin.

Zac, good point. The DEC recommends the Brothers approach to Big Slide because it is more on rock versus the other approaches which are more on thin soil. The eastern approaches to Porter are also more on soil than the Cascade Lake approach. The DEC also recommends many worthwhile, rockier, lower mountain hikes, e.g. the Crows, Hurricane, Ampersand, and Pharaoh. Conditions in April can be highly variable, and it is too early to predict when the advisory will be issued this year.

A nice day hike would be to Newcomb Lake and Camp Santanoni. 12 miles round trip. There has been a guide at the camp the last couple of summers giving tours. A week end trip with a stay at either lean to is also an enjoyable adventure.

The Tongue Mountain Range - 14 miles of some formidable hiking, and great views. It might lack in height in comparison to the High Peaks but you won't hear anyone who has traversed this complain that it wasn't both beautiful and challenging.

Carol and Dave White

Giant Mt. is right off Route 73, a 3-mile climb and 3,000-ft. ascent via the Ridge Trail. Rocky Peak Ridge can be added for an additional 1.5 miles (one way), losing 800 ft. and gaining 500, then reclimbing 800 back to the Ridge Trail. Check www.adk.org for mud season advice. Phelps is one of the easier peaks, 4.4 miles from the Adirondack Loj. Mt. Colvin from Lake Rd. (walked road) at the Ausable Club in St. Huberts (Route 73 south of Keene Valley) is a spectacular summit and can be approached via Gill Brook off Lake Rd. at 1.75 miles or at 2.5 mi. off Lake Rd. for a shorter way (do loop); via shorter route, to summit of Colvin, 2.85 mi., plus 2.5 mi. road walk.

lumberzac said:
I thought the main problem with mud season was not the mud at all. It was the thin soil up high that is partially frozen and partially thawed. When it’s in that state it becomes more susceptible to erosion from foot traffic. The Adirondacks are more prone to this due to the fact that the topsoil is so thin.
That is exactly what the situation is. 'Mud Season' is a bad name. If it would simply be the mud, lower elevations would be effected, hot the higher ones.

Maybe a more politically correct name would be the SSS, Soil Sensitivity Season.

It is so easy to tear a rut in a lawn when the soil is wet and the frost coming out, the same holds true for alpine vegitation, however those small alpine plants just don't have the energy surplus and plentiful soil to regenerate.