Conditions on the Mt Whitney Trail - 5/18/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
Several have asked to be kept posted on Whitney conditions. I was there yesterday to scout the trail as several friends will be climbing it with me at the end of the month. Here's what I found:

Brutus and I climbed part-way yesterday, and turned around a bit above Mirror Lake (about 11K'). Snow level is around 9,800' (Ranger station has said 9K', but it was bone dry at 9). We didn't carry snowshoes, but some climbers were carrying them. We post-holed only rarely, and then it was mostly near a large boulder/bushy areas - places likely to contain airpockets. Temps have been above normal for the past couple of weeks, so the heavy snows are receding rapidly. That's good news, but ... it has made afternoon thunderstorms likely, which happened yesterday, othewise we'd have gone to Consultation Lake/Trail Camp, at around 12,3'. Hopefully conditions will be more stable in a couple of weeks. In any case, an extra early start may be in order, especially on summit day.

Very few climbers on the trail - maybe 12, and all of them from "away". Snow keeps most of the locals away, interestingly enough. People I talked to were from Virginia, Chicago, Detroit and Des Moines.

Boots - the corn snow is particularly wet, and some of you have plastic boots. While I'm not a big fan of clomping along on dry ground with plastics, the extra level of dryness may be worth it - am considering using my plastics for Whitney. Granted, feet sweat in plastics, but it's nothing like corn snow. And, my Raichle's are heavy leathers to boot (pun intended) and don't soak thru easily. My WAG is that by June 1st it will be dry from the TH to Lone Pine Lake.

Bear activity is high, with one break-in already, so be sure all food and toiletries (including dirty clothes) are stored in the bear lockers. It's advised to have nothing visible in the car - make it look like it came from the showroom. Stow your stuff in the trunk.

Some changes for those familiar with Whitney - permits are no longer obtained at the USFS Ranger Station in Lone Pine. Rather, they're at the Interagency Center, located about 3 miles south of town at the intersection of CA136 & US395. It's the first building on the right. Actually, it's the only building on the right for about the next 150 miles, as CA136 heads for Death Valley! Right now they're located in the little bldg within this small complex - the large bldg within the complex is the new Center but it will probably be awhile ($$) before they move in.

It appears that you now need a permit above the 1 mile marker, based upon a new trail sign. Previously you could go up to Lone Pine Lake before a permit was required.

Will try to post updated info from the summit climb in early June.

Kevin

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
permits are no longer obtained at the USFS Ranger Station in Lone Pine. Rather, they're at the Interagency Center, located about 3 miles south of town at the intersection of CA136 & US395.
Interesting. Last year, coming from Death Valley, I stopped there, thinking that was where I would get my permit.

Guess I was ahead of my time.

Pete_Hickey said:
Interesting. Last year, coming from Death Valley, I stopped there, thinking that was where I would get my permit.

Guess I was ahead of my time.
Pete - That you're ahead of your time has never been in doubt.

When I first traveled to the Owens Valley that little place seemed more like a Chamber of Commerce-type place (don't know if they have similar places in Canada) but it's grown slowly and has good info/books/publications from the US Forest and US Park Services. It's also sponsored by the LA Dept of Power and Water (DPW). Remember the movie "China Town", with the underlying thems of water wars and all? Well, it was more fact than fiction. The DPW owns huge tracts of land and water up and down the Sierras - even have their own parks - as well as a large maintenance facility in Independence. All part of "transferring" water from the Owens Valley to the residents of LA. Still very much a sore subject locally as I'm learning.

Kevin,

Thanks for the update. It's good to know what is going on at Whitney in real time. I have also been trying to keep up with the Whitney Portal forum pages but they are not as active or as informative as VFTT is for the Northeast. I am planning to get out to Whitney for next March.

Thanks for the update Kevin. I too am watching the posts daily on the Whitney Portal bulletin boards, but like Woody48 said they don't update daily. I'm also watching the plowing updates for Tioga Pass daily. Without that being open, getting around certainly adds to the commute from the west side across. I now have less than 2 weeks before I head out there for 10 days and less than 3 weeks before my scheduled climb of Whitney (June 8th). I have to say that it's looking more and more like I may not be able to climb Whitney while I'm there, however I'm still keeping the faith. With the snow conditions the way they are, it may not be entirely possible for the dayhike I had planned. I'm certainly more than capable of doing a 22 mile dayhike with over 6100' of elevation gain, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull it off with that much snow on the trail. It would most certainly slow me down. Not to mention the fact that I'm not proficient with crampons or ice axe use. Again, if my sole purpose was to climb Whitney, I would plan to do it in August. The only reason I'm trying to do it in early June is because I'll be out there for a wedding anyway. I may just have to be happy with hiking Half Dome and other hikes around Yosemite itself.

Kevin Rooney said:
It's also sponsored by the LA Dept of Power and Water (DPW). Remember the movie "China Town", with the underlying thems of water wars and all? Well, it was more fact than fiction. The DPW owns huge tracts of land and water up and down the Sierras - even have their own parks - as well as a large maintenance facility in Independence. All part of "transferring" water from the Owens Valley to the residents of LA. Still very much a sore subject locally as I'm learning.

Anyone heading to Whitney may want to read Marc Reisner's superb book "Cadillac Desert," which is in part about the LA Water Wars of the 1920s, and the basis for the film "Chinatown" (1974) starring Jack Nicholson and John Huston, as well as an excellent four-hour long PSB series, with one episode titled "Mr. Mulholland's Dream" (1997). William Mulholland was the DPW Superintendent. Unfortunately, the PBS series appears to be out of print, but a decent summary appears at the link below.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~martins/hydro/case_studies/cadillac_desert.htm

My favorite lines from "Chinatown":

Noah Cross (John Huston): Either you bring water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water.

later........

Jake Gittes (Jack Nicholson): I just want to know what you're worth. Over ten million?

Noah: Oh my, yes.

Jake: Why are you doing it? How much better can you eat? What can you buy that you can't already afford?

Noah: The future, Mr. Gittes, the future.

Thanks for the posts Kevin. Hikethe115, JayH, myself and another friend are heading out there in early July. We plan on doing the Cottonwood Pass trail as a backpack. All "realtime" info is welcome and appreciated! :)

With all the recent snow and current main trail conditions, it doesn't look like a wise decision to attempt my dayhike on June 8th. I'll be up in Yosemite for most of the prior week and Tioga Pass will still be closed till probably the middle of June. Looks like I'll have to try again another time.

Just checked the CalTrans "Mountain Pass Closures" webpage , and with the exception of Tioga Pass (eastern entrance to Yosemite) the other major mountain passes were opened on 5/25/06.

Tioga Pass may be closed for awhile longer. The good news is the eastern slope is providing some great back-country skiing.

This graphic shows the location of Ebbetts and Monitor Passes thru the Sierra to US395 near the California/Nevada border south of Reno.

coursemapgiant2.jpg

Last edited: