Corn chips as firestarter..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The starter bricks for fireplaces work well. I cut them into 1/2 inch cubes. They are just wax and wood chips. They can get wet and still light. 1/2 inch cubes will burn for over 5 minutes. I don't think corn chips will burn that long, uuummmm corn chips!!!!

Last edited:
Les Stroud AKA the "Survivorman" is kind of like the MacGyver of the Outdoors world. He doesn't use "best methods" he uses whatever he has handy.

For the show in Utah I believe he was simulating being stranded after a mountain bike crash. So to stay warm on a chilly desert night he used chips, which he happened to have been carrying for a snack.

I'm sure if he was going hiking in the backcountry where he had intended to build a fire he would have brought a candle, wax and woodchips, etc.

I'm imagining new gear checklists:
Compass - check
Map - check
Fritos - check :D

-Shayne

shayne, I did not catch the beginning, but that might explain why I saw him dismantle a mountain bike. He used a brake cable liner to suck water from a pond and then eventually used the bike itself as the back of a leanto shelter built with furroughs and branchs.

I thought he was using the bike just to get out of civilization faster but now that you mentioned the simulated bike crash, that might explain it more.

Scenery was fantastic, anyway!

Jay

onrhodes said:
The last month's issue of Backpacker had outdoor tips from guides across the world. One of them was to use potato chips because they lit up nicely.
Have not tried it, but I can easily believe it.

My biggest problem with food as a fire starter is that, in a survival situation, I'd probably go nuts over the dilemma, "Let's see, shall I freeze or starve, starve or freeze, freeze or starve, starve or freezzzz-z-z-z-z?" :)

Stan said:
My biggest problem with food as a fire starter is that, in a survival situation, I'd probably go nuts over the dilemma, "Let's see, shall I freeze or starve, starve or freeze, freeze or starve, starve or freezzzz-z-z-z-z?" :)

That thought came to mind for me too about the show. If I recall correctly he cooked some sort of a rodent or a lizard for food in that episode. I think I would have preferred the fritos.

I've seen another episode where he built a fire with some technique that used a part of his shirt (string) and a twig or something, took him like 8 hours to get the fire going but he did.

-Shayne

Ripple has the right idea.Those firestarters cut into chunks work great.
On the subject of whiz bang survival stuff-I saw a "survival kit" in a sardine can the other day.It had duct tape,band aids,chewing gum,thread and needle etc. No matches!!!!!
Doh!! :eek:

Given the idea is to start a fire with whatever may be handy (and you weren't prepared), nuts burn extremely well. Just touch a match to them and they take right off.

Brazil nuts are one of the highest caloric content, and burn the hottest and longest, if I remember correctly from my daughter's science fair project.

Tony

Yup Dorito's

They work great. Burn hot and fairly long. A small pile under some small twigs works as well as paper/leaves. We have been using this method for years, and one of our crew like to hold a flaming chip to impress the girls. Although itt rarely does.

Damn shame to waste a perfectly good bag of Dorito's tho.

IMO, Nacho Cheese works better than Cooler Ranch.

Stan said:

I guess I wouldn't hesitate for too long. The human body can go for quite awhile without food, but a cold night with no fire and you'd be in a lot more trouble.
Sure you'd be hungry, but you'd be warm too :D

Burn or eat the chips?

Rule of threes (things that can kill you):
* 3 minutes without air
* 3 hours without shelter
* 3 days without water
* 3 weeks without food

Don't take the exact times too literally--they are primarily good for prioritizing things in an emergency.

Doug