Crampons suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
I have a pair of crampons that I have used. I don't really like them, and would like suggestions on which ones to get.

Let me first explain why I don't like them. The easiest way to explain this is to state that I LOVE my Tubbs snowshoes, because you just put your foot in the step and pop a couple snap-clasps together, and you're good to go. You can even do it with gloves on.

In contrast, my crampons have this extremely elaborate system of rings and loops that you need to guide a long strap through. If it's not looped correctly, there's a loss of tension somewhere and the whole thing comes undone in a few steps. And then there's always the dilemma of just where to tuck the end of the strap. I find this system to be extremely agitating, because not only is it a waste of time to spend 15 minutes putting them on, but, given that crampons are generally meant for COLD WEATHER USAGE, it's not always a good idea to be in a situation where you have to remain relatively still and without gloves for that long. Often I find that a trail is free of snow and ice at the bottom, but I still need to put them on towards the top (where it is much colder).

So please, are there any crampons that go on as easily as the Tubbs snowshoes do?

Technetium said:
I have a pair of crampons that I have used. I don't really like them, and would like suggestions on which ones to get.

Let me first explain why I don't like them. The easiest way to explain this is to state that I LOVE my Tubbs snowshoes, because you just put your foot in the step and pop a couple snap-clasps together, and you're good to go. You can even do it with gloves on.

In contrast, my crampons have this extremely elaborate system of rings and loops that you need to guide a long strap through. If it's not looped correctly, there's a loss of tension somewhere and the whole thing comes undone in a few steps. And then there's always the dilemma of just where to tuck the end of the strap. I find this system to be extremely agitating, because not only is it a waste of time to spend 15 minutes putting them on, but, given that crampons are generally meant for COLD WEATHER USAGE, it's not always a good idea to be in a situation where you have to remain relatively still and without gloves for that long. Often I find that a trail is free of snow and ice at the bottom, but I still need to put them on towards the top (where it is much colder).

So please, are there any crampons that go on as easily as the Tubbs snowshoes do?
There are much simplier crampons on the market than the ones you describe, but before anyone can give you an informed answer - please tell us what make/model boot you use (the binding system is sometimes dependent on the type of boot).

Kevin Rooney said:
There are much simplier crampons on the market than the ones you describe, but before anyone can give you an informed answer - please tell us what make/model boot you use (the binding system is sometimes dependent on the type of boot).
My boots.. let me check.

They are Montrail brand... I can't find anything that says specifically what kind, though. They have vibram soles and are made with leather and goretex.

Ah, here they are: http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?prod=54&cat=250&top=2

The quickest crampon binding is a step-in, but it requires a rigid boot. Since yours are not rigid, you might consider something like Black Diamond's Contract Strap, or Grivel's G10 with the New Classic binding. There are other brands/models as well, but a 10 point crampon with a binding system similar to those above work well for winter hiking in the Northeast.

On a different note - those are good boots for 3-season hiking, but might be a bit thin for winter use... YMMV.

Last edited:
With any crampon and snowshoe binding, it helps if you become proficient at putting them on and taking them off. It can be frustrating when a member of your group doesn't know how to quickly put their crampons on. I've found the best place to become proficient is in the comfort of my house. Before each winter, I practice with each of the crampons I have. My wife draws the line when I try to walk around the house with the crampons on. :(

I do find that most strap-on crampons have similar binding systems. The step-in crampons that I have (Grivel G-12) go on in about a 1/3 the time of my Black Diamond Contact Straps.

On cold days, I make sure to wear glove liners. It's amazing how fast your hands can get cold playing around with crampons.

I'm a winter hiking novice and found I quickly became proficient at putting on my G10s. I carry a small piece of closed-cell foam in the outside pocket of my pack (it's a loose pocket with no top, presumably for carrying a shovel). I whip out the foam, sit on it, unzip my crampon bag, snap the G10s wide open, and put my foot on the crampon. I snap the toe back and flip up the heel and run the loose end through the rings. I wear my glove liners for this process.

I found to my pleasant surprise that the G10s do not loosen up in the least on my boots. They might at well be screwed to the boot.

Yes, there is no place for the extra strap to go when you're wearing gaitors. This drove me nuts on my first hike. I cut the excess strap off and took a lighter to the ends to make it look pretty.

You could also try out the Kahtoola steel crampons in a store and see if you prefer their binding system.

For a below-treeline hike in mixed conditions you might want to wear stabilicers and just leave them on.

I hike three-season in Montrail Torres (essentially the same boot at you use) and find them too cold for most winter use. If your feet are ever getting cold I'd look into getting an insulated boot.

How old are your crampons? They sound like an older pair, mid-90's. I have a pair like that also but I've since gone to a rigid boot & hybrid bindings which require just a back platform & work with some leather boots. (easier than Classic binding but not much)

Most models now come with some variation of the "Classic" binding kevin mentioned. Ten points will handle any general mountaineering (trails) you would do in the northeast.

Last edited:
Fen said:
Yes, there is no place for the extra strap to go when you're wearing gaitors. This drove me nuts on my first hike. I cut the excess strap off and took a lighter to the ends to make it look pretty.

You might regret this if you switch to different boots. I sewed an extra buckle to my Grivels allowing me to secure the extra strap. When I switched to the Koflach double boot, I noticed that I no longer had any extra strap.

Excellent point. I had this in mind when I cut the strap (despite already wearing the World's Largest Boots), and also left enough so that I can get in and out of the crampons without having to unthread the strap. Therefore, I still have a bit of a loose strap problem.

As a "light" backpacker, I have learned the hard way what to cut and what not to cut. :)

I think I'll strategically apply two small bits of velcro to each strap, or follow your lead and sew on a buckle.

Sometimes I’m a little too smart for my own good. After I switched to the Koflach I noticed that the buckle would just hang loose from the crampon. After catching the buckle in the tip of my crampon a few times I strategically and with great stealth switched crampons with my wife. Since she doesn’t winter hike, I doubt she will notice. ;)

Kahtolla

Why not try Kahtoola crampons? Not quite as simple as a step in binding, but certainly much easier than the typical crampon strap system.

I say keep using them

As you continue to use them, they will become a lot easier to get on. I have the same system as you do, and I am completely happy with them, but there was a time that I felt the same way you do.

As for the strap, I just loop it around a few times and tuck it under the tight strap. You could always cut it and melt the ends to avoid fraying.

I agree with the last two posts above. Kahtoola makes the closest thing to the snowshoe-type binding that you describe. They are a bit less expensive and a bit less aggressive than regular crampons, but they would be fine for 95% of the icy sections you will encounter in the Whites. (Not counting actual ice-climbing or mixed mountaineering routes like Huntington's.)

On the other hand, it sounds like you are using a pair of BD Contact-strap style crampons now. I have a pair and I love mine. Sure, it takes me 3 minutes to put each one on, but once they are on I feel secure that they will give me the traction that I need and they won't bend or fail. I also spent almost $100 on them, so I better get used to how they go on! I've worn them probably 30 times on ice, steep climbs/descents, glacier travel, you name it... never had a problem. Stick with it and you'll get used to putting them on.

They could also be the Petzl Ecrins though, mine have the same strap setup. I also loop mine back around themselves, which makes them easier to remove with gloves on. I have had mine come off when I first got them, but now I know what to look for and it's not an issue.

Have had good luck so far with Petzl-Charlet Vassak Wirelock

It would depend upon the type of boot you wear. I wear Koflach's and just changed over to Petzl-Charlet Vassak Wirelock 12-point crampons (thanks end of the season sale) which have 2 bails and a run-away strap. They're easy to put on - they snap-on and off like a telemark binding, I think. I've only taken them out once so far, so my experiences may change with time ;).

They're intended for a boot with a welt and a rigid sole. Black Diamond and Grivel both make crampon models that are somewhat similar, although the Black Diamond ones I've seen might more appropriatefor ice climbing, given the aggressive and angled front-points? I'm not entirely sure. I just noticed that the 2ndary teeth had angled ridges which, given my footing and luck would eventually tangle with a tree root. :eek:

I still have an old pair of 10 point Petzl's with the strap-in bindings. I had the same problem with my hands turning into popicles whenever I put the things on.

Good luck with your search.

---Mike

A Snow flake, perhaps?

I just checked Petzl's website and I can't find my new crampons in their product lists. The Vasak (spelling corrected) Wirelock model has a front bail that fits over a welt as found on the Vasak Sidelock model, and a rear bail that's identical to the Vasak Lever-lock model. They're easy to pull off - undo the runaway strap, and then pull on both straps away from the heel to unlock the rear bail.

Again, good luck with your hunt.
---Mike