Crockers & Redington 7/10/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Jazzbo and I headed South about 6 am from the parking area just North of the steel bridge. We thought an early start might beat the rain. But about 15 minutes into the hike, down came the rain. It I expected to be miserable, but as the temps were in the mid 70's, we were comfortable. Both of us were in good shoes and we made the summit of South Crocker before 8 am. We found the herd path to Redington for our own edification, and turned around and headed to Crocker. We made Crocker before 8:30 am in the rain and after a few photos left within 5 minutes.

Back at S. Crocker we had something to eat and headed down the herd path to the Redington Col. We got hung up a bit on the AT boundary line and went past the herd path by about 250'. The boundary had recently been cleared by some diligent Corridor Monitors, so it seemed like the way to go until we blundered into some thick young spruce and krumholtz. We dithered about in the thick spruce until we smelled nice, and then Jazzbo was able to convince me that perhaps we should look for the herd path back up hill. We retraced our steps and found the herd path quickly enough.

We made good time to the cleared area near the col and found a logging road and some cairns that marked the herd path that ascended Redington. The herd path from the col to the Redington summit is something Ray Charles could have soloed without much trouble. We were fortunate to find some views back to the Crockers once on the summit and the rain finally came to a halt. After some photos and sustenance, we headed down the herd path to a fork in the herd paths and turned right. On the way down we met a group of AMC hikers and visited with them for a bit.

Once back on the logging roads we came to another fork and had a decision to make. If we turned right we would have had about a mile plus of extra hiking. If we turned left we had a shorter route, but I did not know what kind of bushwhack we might run into as we approached the Caribou Pond Road. I convinced Jazzbo to turn left and shoot from the hip.

We followed some very eroded logging roads to a point about half a mile West of the CPR. Diving in, we encountered a mix of young and old spruce, krumholtz, stream beds, and open meadow until we finally made the CPR. We turned left and made our way back to the parking area. After a few PBRs and some salt and vinegar potato chips we headed to the Maine Roadhouse on Rt 27 for well earned showers and naps. Great hike, with good company and a nice mix of conditions.

Photos and GPS track

Here's some pics from our outing

Of course there's the obligatory bridge pictures. The first bridge is the most interesting:

931272519_5yLVB-M.jpg

Close up of the rotten planks:

931272905_yQWcv-M.jpg

I threw some logs over the hoies and drove over.

931273687_YQSaP-M.jpg

Actually the bridge is very sound over on one side and narrow wheelbase cars should have no problem passing that way. Wheels on big trucks will be too big to get stuck in the holes. Other bridges are trivial. It was too dark and cloudy for good photography with my silly camera. Here's snaphot of Paradox climbing up steep trail through the talus above Crocker Cirque in the rain.

931280379_nDQeD-L.jpg

The herd path drops us below the col between Reddington and S Crocker. It was socked in when we got there. We were thoroughly soaked thanks to the car-wash effect. Lucky for us it was warm and winds were negligble.

931286589_qbPra-M.jpg

Not much clue where Redington was. We followed the herd path up to the col. I was debating whether to post this picture. This is what two dumb guys look like after a day at the carwash. Paradox didn't pay me enough not to publish this. so here it is.

931292844_aFfkb-M.jpg

Good Point!

When you drop off South Crocker on herd path, it crosses the AT corridor. We turned right on the AT corridor and went about 75-100 yards before we figured something was wrong. We went back up the corridor and regained the herd path. I think it simply cuts across the AT Corridor. That's what our GPS track shows. It shows our little jog to right and our return to the herd path. Otherwise the herd path is easy to follow. It drops you out down below the actual col so you have to hike up the herd path throgh the logging slash and it takes you up to the col where obvious herd path heads up the ridge line of Redington.

Congrats Paradox. Laura and I tried this two days after we hiked with you on the Sugarloaf trek. We too were distracted by the AT Corridor (very clean!) and wasted enough time there to end up skipping Redington that day. Planning to hit it solo later this summer when we have time to get back up there!

Nice job guys on both this hike and East Kennebago. Last time I did this with Rols and Tuco, we had wet and sometimes rainy conditions until we got up near the Redington summit and then got some views of the Crockers. We had great views descending Redington and the long roads and out CVR.

Nice photos, too. You looked wet, but not "dumb" in that one shot. It takes about 5 minutes descending off South Crocker to get totally washed thanks to the nice young balsams.

Best regards,
Marty

Thanks, makes sense now. How do you see more than 2 pictures using wikiloc? I click on the right picture (of the two) and it goes to the next picture, but then I can go no further. Likewise I can go left only one picture. :confused:

Tim

Nice job guys on both this hike and East Kennebago. Last time I did this with Rols and Tuco, we had wet and sometimes rainy conditions until we got up near the Redington summit and then got some views of the Crockers. We had great views descending Redington and the long roads and out CVR.

Nice photos, too. You looked wet, but not "dumb" in that one shot. It takes about 5 minutes descending off South Crocker to get totally washed thanks to the nice young balsams.

Best regards,
Marty

Actually the word I was searching for when I wrote "dumb" is " two knuckleheads". Is that not better? Why I oughta ......

Actually it was only foggy when we were in the col. It began to clear some when we were on top of Redington. for example we had this nice but subdued view of the Crockers:

931288362_7U2PJ-L.jpg

And on way down logging roads on Redington it got clearer and we had nice subdued views of Abraham, Spaulding, and Sugarloaf. The logging roads have good footing and have wide open views are quite pleasant to walk along. Here is summit of Sugarloaf:

931291840_uc7tC-L.jpg

Last edited:
That's OK, Zero-G and I did the same exact thing on the AT boundary when on the herdpath, made a uturn and found the left turn we missed.. It was also a wet day and we got soaked!

The herdpath by S. Crocker all the way down though was flagged every 75-100 yards or so..

jay

Actually the word I was searching for when I wrote "dumb" is " two knuckleheads". Is that not better? Why I oughta .....

Hmm. That would equate the venerable Paradox with Rocket and me. Guess it is up to Paradox to decide if that is a compliment or an insult. :rolleyes::p
Anyone who has ever met me knows that I can be quite verbal, hence "dumb" is just plain wrong. "Knucklehead", well sure, because I have such great company.