Daks, a couple of Q's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I'll be up in the Daks for a long weekend of peakbagging and camping in early July.

A couple of Q's:

1. Camping sites along the road to South Meadow: is this a safe place to set up a tent and leave a car for a few days?? How fast do they fill up? Safe to say I'll probably find a site if arriving on a thursday night?

2. Cliff and Redfield from the Loj: in general, about how early a start is needed to get these done in a day by a moderately paced hiker ?? Is it quicker travelling to stay to the east side of Lake Colden? I remember the jungle gym on the West side presented some challenges for my dog the last time through there. It will be a long weekend for her, so I'd like to minimize some of the risks, if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Sabrina

Sabrina,

You can usually leave your car at South Meadows for a few days without a problem. Of course, its an unpatrolled parking area. If you're going to be gone for a few days, take your tent and throw it and your stuff in the trunk of your car, out of sight. You might consider spending the money to park at the ADK Loj and not have to worry about anything. If you're spending time in the Adirondacks, joining the ADK is not a bad idea. Beyond giving you a big break on parking, the Club does a tremendous amount of advocacy work and lots of land acquisition work as well.

Cliff and Redfield as a pair are a long day. You have the long walk in, and then some slow going on the Cliff herdpath. You guys are strong hikers, go soon so you'll have lots of daylight, get a really early start, and have the headlamps ready if you get held up on the way out. You could also go in with a tent and bag one or both the same day, or get one, stay over, and then the other on your departure day. You might consider skipping Lake Colden altogether and head in via Lake Arnold.

Alan

Redfield and Cliff is a long day from the Loj but I am sure you can do it. You might want to try Wright Alg and Iraquois if you have not hiked them. Also Phelps and Tabletop and Colden. Your plans can be endless :D

Thanks, Alan and 1ADam12.

1Adam12, I have done the Wright-Algonquin-Iriqious loop already as a day hike, and also did Colden last week. This wednesday I'm hiking Phelps and Tabletop, and will be hiking Marcy-Gray-Skylight on the first day of this long weekend in question.
I'll be planning on Street and Nye on Day 3, and am looking for something to do on Day 2. Cliffy and Redfield look like contenders, but I am open to other suggestions for that day. I'm looking forward to a high mileage weekend, its my last big hiking weekend before heading out to Colorado at the end of July to do some backpacking.
True, I will have covered much of the distance on Day 1 during the M-G-S loop, but am happy to cover it again the next day if need be. Besides, it will have given me a feel for the approach and how early to start Day 2, right!
:D

U_D: There are other places that are further away from the Loj that is almost car camping and not as busy as South Meadows...

Also, the usual start for Cliff and Redfield is Upper Works but I like alternate routes so have fun and enjoy.

Jay

Jay H said:
Also, the usual start for Cliff and Redfield is Upper Works but I like alternate routes so have fun and enjoy.
This past winter, Laurie and I got a lot of experience doing Cliff and Redfield, twice each! :eek:

We found that going over Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden in Winter from the Loj was the fastest, even though it was the longest. Given the right conditions you can make excellent time on a frozen lake bed. I know, it's not winter! :D

Going in from the Loj past Lake Arnold was a close second, but has extra elevation gain/loss.

Going to Cliff over the frozen flowed lands would be fast, but again, it's summer now. I believe the approach from Upper Works to U-H lean to is actually longer than the Lake Arnold route. Also, depending on where you live, just getting to Upper Works is a LOT longer for some folks.

Unadogger, You have probably already thought of this, but if not, it is a bit shorter heading in Via Upper Works (Tahawus) and camping around Flowed Lands, or further inland (closer to your goal) at Uphill L\T?
if you are coming via I-90 and Albany area, Tahawus might even be a bit closer than the Loj.

I'm going to be at the Loj friday to do Marcy/Gray/Skylight and am planning Street and Nye for sunday, so I am based out of there. That's why I chose the Loj approach, also I think its a much more picturesque approach than from Upper Works, and as PigPen pointed out, the Loj has ammenities !

Can anyone give me any beta on the conditions of the trial that goes along the east side of Lake Colden ??

I was recently on the Lake Arnold Trail as far as Lake Arnold, I think it took us 3 hrs from the Loj to the summit of Colden via that route, so I may go that way out, and if I have extra energy or enough daylight, will head down along the Opalescent Brook (one of my favorite walks) and out via Avalanche Pass.

Thx again for all the info!

S

Jay H said:
U_D: There are other places that are further away from the Loj that is almost car camping and not as busy as South Meadows...

Jay
Where?
I plan to do some car camping start-offs this fall, and was searching for camping (car) near Keene Valley.
Kevin

Last edited:
NYBRAD said:
Not too very long ago, Cliffy could have been considered a bushwack, and doing them both in 1 day was a serious undertaking. For the time being, not so much ... ;)

Yup, I heard more than once this weekend that there are officially no more herdpaths in the Daks. I hope that doesn't take away from my experience! I told a few people this weekend that Catskill 3500 and ADK 46 have always held a strong allure to me because of all the "trailless peak" requirements. I'm just happy to be finally so close to the Daks and able to enjoy them so frequently!

Sabrina,

When you've completed the 46er, start hiking the ADK100 with us. You'll find all the trailless peaks you can imagine. And we'll mix in the Cat100's, tons there with no trails either.

Alan

Can anyone give me any beta on the conditions of the trial that goes along the east side of Lake Colden ??

Typical ADK trail -- plenty of roots, some mud, etc... Nice trail though -- sometimes down next to the lake, other times higher above the lake. Pretty & scenic.

Thanks, BlackSpruce; and thanks again to all the volunteers and maintainers who are keeping even the herd paths going strong.

Looking forward to it, Alan!

I think I've got all the info I need, thanks again. TR to follow around July 10. ;)