Day hike out of Crawford Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on which summit to take a group of eight high school kids up next week. They are going to stay at the AMC Highlands "Hotel" Thursday night and we will hit the trail Friday morning. All have some experience, are in good condition, and have the proper equipment. In addition, there are two other experienced adult leaders in the group. I don't mind going above tree line, but would prefer minimizing the exposure. In other words, enough to catch some views and give the kids an idea what it is like in the Whites during winter.

My first thought was Tom, but I am not sure if there is a decent view. Any suggestions would be appreciated and any advice on the trail conditions would be an added bonus. Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of spots with decent views from Tom, one at the summit looking into the Pemi, & one near the summit looking the other way. (Weather was bad when I was there in Nov., not sure what you see - I seem to recall someone saying Presidentials.)

Tom should be doable with snowshoes.

If wind is not too bad, I think Pierce would be best choice, it's been pretty well traveled (path well broken) and the summit area is not too tricky, other than all the ice. I'd want crampons but if you read other trail reports I suspect you will see people using just cleats on snowshoes or microspikes.

Willard is pretty easy but does offer a great view of the notch. There is a cliff at the end of the trail, I'm always leery with a group of teens & cliff in the description but I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.

Jackson's not a bad hike but the summit block needs to get icy in winter & it's a steep 20 or so feet to the top. In summer it's easy, now it's one of the hardest 20 feet out of the trails from Highland Center on a hiking trail (not counting Willey Ladders which are in the notch but not from HC unless you go over Field & Willey)

Avalon is nice but steep to get to & a large group can't really enjoy the view together, a couple of smalll views on Field but Tom offers more & is easier. To get to Willey, IMO it's easier to go over Field but trail between the peaks can be hard to follow.

I agree that Jackson may not be the best choice because of the potential ice. I also considered Eisenhower if the winds were calm. I believe there would only be the short break out before the summit above tree line, but I am not sure what the actual time would be to summit from the scrubs in winter with a group.

Pierce

The Willey Range is pretty steep slog for not much rewards so I wouldn't recommend it. Besides lack of rewards I'd stay away from trails with a lot of steep terrain for beginners. I recall one time catching up with a big AMC led beginner group at the ravine on the Webster Jackson trail. It was fresh snow and it took each newbie seemingly forever to get out of that ravine. Some of those poor souls expended more energy getting out of that ravine than they did the rest of the hike. We waited at least a half an hour waiting for them to get out. That's why I'd steer away from Willey Range. Whereas Crawford Path to Pierce is seldom steep. They'll come away with better memories of winter hiking instead of something they never want to do again.

Pierce, Jackson, or Webster Cliff would get my vote. They're almost always packed out. You're not exactly above tree line, but scrub is shallow enough such that you get pretty good sense of it and views up the ridge towards Washington are very fine. You can make it a lollypop loop by swinging down to Mizpah hut and catch interesting view as you go beyond Pierce summit.

Jackson is frequently done by parties of beginners from Highland Ctr, but Jackson has some steep sections can be icy and dicey for beginners. For example there's that ravine I mentioned above. Steeps near the summit are ok since they're near the top. At least the ravine is short. If you do the ravine with them , make sure leaders demonstrate how to kick step up the slope so they don't just flounder up.

Webster Cliff is interesting objective, but not being a 4K might be a turnoff to young high schoolers. My sons are highschoolers God bless their souls, but they are very shallow. Nothing but Washington will please them. Views from Webster are pretty grand however. Beginner groups frequently do Webster Jackson Loop.

Conditions can make any of these excursions into "advanced" trip so we'll leave that to your judgement, but in good weather and snow conditions these can be nice outings for beginners.

I don't mind going above tree line, but would prefer minimizing the exposure. In other words, enough to catch some views and give the kids an idea what it is like in the Whites during winter.
I realize that your goal might be to limit your hiking to the Crawford Notch area to avoid transportation issues with your group. However, if it’s not a problem to venture a bit beyond the Crawford Notch, there are a number of medium-range hikes outside of the Crawford Notch that provide minimal exposure. Below are but a few examples that I can think of quickly (others on this forum will likely provide other examples):

_ From the Appalachia trailhead there are a number of hikes that would give the kids a taste of winter hiking in the Whites. One example would be Dome Rock via the Inlook Trail.

_ From the Franconia Notch you could do a hike to Lonesome Lake.

You probably have access to a guide book that would describe the above hikes and allow you to form your own conclusions.

Considering the group, I would agree that Jackson wouldn't be the best choice. Pierce would be my first choice, but if the weather is mild AND the forecast is without possibility of a storm (given that we all know anything can happen) I would choose Edmands Path to Eisenhower. It's a good climb but nothing too difficult. There is a fair amount of distance, exposure and possibly time dealing with a group, from treeline to the summit. There is also the possibility of difficulty finding Edmands Path on the return if the weather turns really nasty. On the plus side, you can evaluate your situation and make the decision to turn back when you hit the ridge.

I think it's already been said, but a) I like the views from Tom and b) I find the Crawford Path to Pierce to be an easier hike than Avalon/A-Z to Tom.

Another vote for Mt. Crawford. The views are superb, and while the mileage is relatively short (about 2.9 to the summit), the hike still has a "big mountain" feel to it because a good portion of the trail is fairly steep.

Last edited:
Is there just the one trail up to Crawford and if so any idea of the time that should be allowed for a large group (11)? Not having been up it before, I may want to check it out over the weekend.

Is there just the one trail up to Crawford and if so any idea of the time that should be allowed for a large group (11)? Not having been up it before, I may want to check it out over the weekend.

Only one direct, marked trail. It's actually more of a workout than a decent amount of 4k hikes, in my opinion.

With a large group I'd be conservative and figure on an average pace of about 1 mph on the way up, and about 2 mph on the way down. You should easily be able to do this hike in 5 hours or less if the group has a moderate amount of hiking experience. As Rocket21 mentioned, it's a workout and has as much mileage and elevation gain as some of the smaller 4Ks. But there's nothing especially difficult. Near the summit there are some ledges which are a bit steep, but nothing that should pose any problems.

Ditto to what the others have said. End to end I'd say 6 hours including a lunch stop on the summit and lots of photo taking on the ledges. There are ledges in several areas on both the West and East side that will tend to have people taking longer stops to enjoy the views.

From the summit you can get clear views of Mt Washinton, many of the Presi's, and a great profile view of Stairs Mtn.

I appreciate all the advice and comments. I think I will wait to see the weather conditions on Friday and the group's motivation (teen agers can be a bit fickle) and make a decision. Crawford sounds like a fun hike, but Tom may give them a bit more time on the trail. Pierce could be a good alternative also. I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone is out that day on the trail give a shout.

If you are out and about tomorrow, you may see me checking out the trails myself.

Thanks!

The nice thing about a hike to Pierce or Tom is that you won't have to pack up 8 teenagers and drive to the trailhead. :)

As long as you are staying at the Highland Center, take advantage of their gear room and get anything needed.

Also, I suggest that you talk with the Naturalist staff there. They know the area, and will make good recommendations for your group and the current conditions.

There are a couple of spots with decent views from Tom, one at the summit looking into the Pemi, & one near the summit looking the other way. (Weather was bad when I was there in Nov., not sure what you see - I seem to recall someone saying Presidentials.)

Tom should be doable with snowshoes.

West side of Tom (the real summit) looking over Whitewall towards Zealand/Bonds/Twins:

East side of Tom (near "the bench") looking over Crawford Notch towards Washington, et.al.:

Tim

I also take kids on trips. IMO, Pierce is your best bet for weather protection, manageable grades, likely packed trail, and a suitably worthy view. Even if it's a hard cold day with a hard W or NW wind, you'll be protected right until the end. When they stand out on the small open space, see the excellent views, and feel the wind, they'll have something to talk about afterward. And you'll have a relatively easy time managing the disparate attitudes and preparation in the group. Just know that it's fairly non-adventurous on the way up through the trees, so be prepared for possible bouts of boredom. If you get to Pierce and the group's condition and attitudes warrant it, you can extend the adventure from there.

I concur with the others that said that Crawford is as hard as some 4K peaks. Pierce & Tom, IMO are easier.

There is a ledgy area near the junction with the spur trail & the Davis Path. I have not been in winter but suspect it could be icy & it's steeper than anything on the top of Pierce.

Davis Path also does not get nearly the same traffic as the Crawford Path or the trails that you can walk to from the Highland Center.

(It does have good views, I'd just take the group there in May instead)