Decisions that we regret

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
So, as I am walking along today I was thinking on a series of hikes that I have made over the years to Pikes Peak, CO. IT got me thinking about an incident on one of those trips that I think about and wish that I had "gone the other way".

I have relatives that live in Mantiou Springs, Co and over the years I have visited them and made several stabs at Pikes Peak- about 4 altogether. The first time I was about 19 years old and I almost lost my life, though at the time I hardly realized the danger that I was in. I started for the summit one Aug. day, the temperatures already in the 80's. I was hardly the experienced hiker that I am today and I was dressed in shorts, tee-shirt, sneakers and my Uncles rain-shell. MY equipment for this strenuous hike consisisted of a PB&J sandwhich and a quart of water. As I started up the trail I soon caught up with an elderly gent. He looked like the very spirit of John Muir- dressed as he was in sturdy black shoes, black trousers and a clean button-down white shirt. As we hiked more or less together we chatted. He had intended to go to the half-way point in the trail- Bar-H Camp- and then turn around, but once there he decied to go on and we formed an ad hoc team. Above Bar-H Camp the trail soon climbs above treeline and the temperatures dropped into the 30's. We were some distance from the summit- at least 1-2 miles when I sat down on a boulder and became too disoriented to hike on. I was hallucinating and felt very apathetic about continuing on and urged my companion to go on with out me. He absolutely refused to go on without me and while concern for my own safetly was almost nil I did want him to go on. Finally, after much cajoling and a threat or two I did stand up and we hiked on to the summit together. He probably saved my life.

I returned to Mantiou Springs and Pikes Peak several more times, and on one occassion I went on a hike with my Uncle. On that hike we started for the summit on a day that did not promise good weather, but we thought that we would give it a try. We did not get far before it began to rain and by the time that we reached the Bar-H Camp it was pouring and the thunder was so loud that it rattled my bones with every crash. We huddled together for a few minutes and my Uncles thought that we should turn around. I was only 20 or 21 and and I did not know that my Uncle was paying me alot of respect by allowing me to also decide for myself whether to go on or not. I decided to go on- to at least try and we parted ways- my Uncle descending and I continuing up. Well, I got about a mile or less when I started to climb out of the trees. I stopped and looked around me, at the rain and the thunder and lightening- which were all intensifying. Alarm bells began to go off in my head and I just knew that I did not want to be here anymore, so I turned around. Just then I heard my Uncle calling my name- he had decided not to let me decide and had turned around to get his foolish young niece. We ended up running down hill, back to the trailhead and my shin splints were so bad that I could not walk for 3 days.

It was more then ten years before I could return to hike Pikes Peak. I was still not an experienced hiker- going out on a fair day once or twice a year does not the seasoned hiker make- but still I looked forward to hiking up Pikes Peak. My Uncle and I hoped to be able to make the summit this time, but as things worked out I ended up hiking by myself. All was going well and as the day progressed I slowly made my way up the mountain. Well above treeline I met another women hiking by herself and I was glad to see another women who was also not afraid to hike by herself. She had two hiking poles and depended on them a great deal. When I asked about the poles she explained that she had some physical problems and considered this hike to be an important statement about her relationship to her health. I had nothing but respect for her and yet I noticed how slowly she was hiking along, even when compared to my own pace and even on the level parts of the switchbacks. We weathered out a passing thunderstorm together and the day got old. But still, I stayed with her- respecting her desire to hike solo to the summit, yet staying close because I felt that she was not going to make the summit before night fall. As she stopped again and again for a break, and as the breaks got closer together I was reminded of my own brush with hypothermia. Less then a mile form the summit I made the decision to go on ahead to the summit, by myself and get help. My own family awaited my return and I was already over due and I felt it best to alert someone on the summit about this women. I did not have ant emergency gear at all- not even a flashlight, though this women had very good gear and assured me that she had a flashlight. At the summit I reported her presence on the mountain and then I hitch-hiked down the road. I was hours over due and my Aunt and Uncle were furious with me.

I never did hear another word about her and sometimes I think that all was well and she hiked to the summit and was fine. Sometimes, though, I wonder... The decision to go on to the summit is one that haunts me to this day and I felt I should have stayed with her until we both got to the top.

So- now my question... Is there a decision that you have made hiking/backpacking/climbing that you would make differently today, in retrospect? I do think that monday morning quarterbacking is usefull and can teach us something.

That is always an awkward moment when you pass someone on the trail that you deem grossly unprepared/unequipped. How much persuasion is appropriate to get them to turn around? I have no idea. I feel I have some civic responsibility to them, but I am also aware of their volitional liberty. Usually, I wind up just trying to make some oblique remark regarding the situation and hope they pick up on it. (e.g. "Boy, it sure was cold up there!" or "I had a hard time and I'm not even wearing blue jeans and sneakers! You must be brave!" or "I decided to turn around when the wave of lightning hit." et cetera...)

More to your point, though, yes, there are more than a few people that I wondered about afterward -- did they make it out okay? Should I make somebody aware? Should I have waited or gone with them?

Then, of course, there are other sorts of regrets: times I wish I had continued on when I turned around, and times I wish I had turned around when I continued on.

woodstrider said:
I never did hear another word about her and sometimes I think that all was well and she hiked to the summit and was fine. Sometimes, though, I wonder... The decision to go on to the summit is one that haunts me to this day and I felt I should have stayed with her until we both got to the top.
Situations like this are often not clear cut. You have make your best guess and go with it.

How much would you have been able to do if you had stayed with her? Would you have gotten into trouble yourself?

It is always possible that you saved 1 or 2 lives by continuing onward.

A short anecdote: Once when I was presiding at a winter accident scene, I had to refuse an offer of help from a trip leader--I could see that his people were not prepared to wait around (no gear). He meant well (I thanked him for his offer), but his help probably would simply have made the situation worse.

Doug

I was with friends one hot summer day at Zeta Pass and a man staggered up the trail towards us. He didn't say anything but was covered with evergreen needles. I said "hi," he didn't reply. I said "Man, you're covered with needles!" He grunted and passed on by, heading slowly towards Mt. Hight. Ever since I've regretted not asking him more questions, making sure he was doing well enough.

Great thread; it deserves more responses. As one who solos a lot, and commonly begins a day-hike late in the afternoon (after work), I get many comments from those heading down about the conditions that lie ahead, do I have a headlamp, where do I plan to spend the night, do I have a sleeping bag, etc. The fact that I hike slowly uphill probably does not inspire any confidence in those around me. So, I try to reassure those concerned that I will be fine, that I have been on the trail many times, like to hike after dark, etc. And, at the same time over the past few years, when I happen to get an early start, so am coming down when I meet people in my usual situation who are still on the way up late in the day, I have really backed off probing them with questions. I agree, makes for awkward situations. But, I like to think that, with my wilderness medicine and S&R experience, I will be able to recognize signs and symptons in someone who is really in trouble. But, the whole issue still bothers me. I need to get one of those VFTT patches to wear on my hat?

On Pikes Peak I'm sure she was fine, she could yell for help or signal with a flashlight. If she had come to a bad end you would have read about it in the paper.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
As one who solos a lot, and commonly begins a day-hike late in the afternoon (after work), I get many comments from those heading down about the conditions that lie ahead, do I have a headlamp, where do I plan to spend the night, do I have a sleeping bag, etc.

I have had similar experiences, because they are polite and trying to help I respond similarly. Occasionally I try to help others who seem to be overextended but they nearly always decline. My sister & I did aid two women on Mt. Princeton who saw that a little assistance would make it safer for them.